Laser pointer for astronomy

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 4, 2005
      Can someone tell me what to look for in a laser pointer suitable for
      astronomy show and tell under the big sky. Where would I find a
      source?

      Sasktel mail server is down this afternoon so this is a web post. I
      hope it works as I have not tried this before.

      Jim Wood
      Saskatoon
    • jeff swick
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 4, 2005
        Hello Jim
        Most folks have left for the Star Party this weekend .
        I'm here cause my daughter and grand daughter are both
        in hospital.
        I'd suggest asking Bill Hydomako as he just purchased
        one for the club and I've seen it in action at the
        observers group.
        If I manage to get out to the event tomorrow I'll ask
        him for you.
        Cheers
        Jeff

        --- Jim <jk.wood@...> wrote:

        > Can someone tell me what to look for in a laser
        > pointer suitable for
        > astronomy show and tell under the big sky. Where
        > would I find a
        > source?
        >
        > Sasktel mail server is down this afternoon so this
        > is a web post. I
        > hope it works as I have not tried this before.
        >
        > Jim Wood
        > Saskatoon

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Colten Edwards
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 5, 2005

          Try www.telescopes.ca aka efstonscience. The Green type is $149 canadian.

          --- Jim <jk.wood@...> wrote:

          > Can someone tell me what to look for in a laser
          > pointer suitable for
          > astronomy show and tell under the big sky.  Where
          > would I find a
          > source?
          >
          > Sasktel mail server is down this afternoon so this
          > is a web post.  I
          > hope it works as I have not tried this before.
          >
          > Jim Wood
          > Saskatoon

          http://mail.yahoo.com

        • jeff swick
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 5, 2005
            I agree. I've purchased almost all of my astronomy
            equipment from Bruce at Efston.
            Jeff

            --- Colten Edwards <cd.edwards@...> wrote:

            > Try www.telescopes.ca <http://www.telescopes.ca/>
            > aka efstonscience. The
            > Green type is $149 canadian.
            >

            > _____

            tware&w3=Astronomy+telescope&w4=Astronomy+today&w5=Astronomy+magazine&w6=Soc
            > iety+of&c=6&s=125&.sig=ezr3j2LiRucX7LrRRY56dw>
            >
            > Astronomy

            onomy+software&w3=Astronomy+telescope&w4=Astronomy+today&w5=Astronomy+magazi

            ne&w6=Society+of&c=6&s=125&.sig=LaWxmTg1oZEw4NKrTsSBJQ>
            > software
            >
            > Astronomy

            ronomy+software&w3=Astronomy+telescope&w4=Astronomy+today&w5=Astronomy+magaz

            ine&w6=Society+of&c=6&s=125&.sig=4Em5OpUm8TeVxvLZ06lDvw>
            > telescope
            >

            > Astronomy

            my+software&w3=Astronomy+telescope&w4=Astronomy+today&w5=Astronomy+magazine&
            > w6=Society+of&c=6&s=125&.sig=KgyjD641jIofNBZ4VQcCEA>
            > today
            >
            > Astronomy

            onomy+software&w3=Astronomy+telescope&w4=Astronomy+today&w5=Astronomy+magazi

            ne&w6=Society+of&c=6&s=125&.sig=5cEbJ9eV1KY0RKxJwYn12w>
            > magazine
            >
            > Society

            ftware&w3=Astronomy+telescope&w4=Astronomy+today&w5=Astronomy+magazine&w6=So
            > ciety+of&c=6&s=125&.sig=LnQilxZ358_ENhLSVKG6-w> of
            >

            > _____
            >
            > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
            >

            > * Visit your group "rascstoon
            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rascstoon> " on the
            > web.

            > Yahoo!
            > Service.
            >

            > _____

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
          • James Wood
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 5, 2005

              Thanks Jeff, James and Colten, for the advice.  I will check out Efston.

              …Jim

              I agree. I've purchased almost all of my astronomy
              equipment from Bruce at Efston.
                Jeff

              --- Colten Edwards <cd.edwards@...> wrote:

              > Try www.telescopes.ca <http://www.telescopes.ca/>
              > aka efstonscience. The
              > Green type is $149 canadian.
              >

              >   _____

              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

            • Colten Edwards
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 6, 2005

                I’ve found a 8” parabolic mirror ¾” thinkness with a focal length of 750mm for a focal ratio of f/4.

                It’s coated with al+sio. The price is pretty cheap at around $30us, but I’m wondering if this would be

                Good for a telescope mirror at all..

                                                                                        Colten Edwards