Canada Parks Day at Pike Lake

  • Patricia Gakis
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2, 2009
      Hello everyone!

      I hope everyone had a fantastic Canada Day! I know some of you are still on vacation (mentally if not also physically!) but we do still have one more event just before SSSP. So put down the beer (or margarita) and pay attention for a minute! I'll try to be quick!

      Canada Parks Day is coming up on Saturday July 18th. According to the website (http://www.parksday.ca/eng/index.html), this is the 20th anniversary of Parks Day which, luckily enough for us, falls on the same year as IYA. This is a great opportunity for us to get out and support our beautiful parks as well as educate people on light pollution.

      I'm organizing the event at Pike Lake. We'll most likely be out there doing some viewing from about 9:30pm to 11:30pm. I'm not sure just yet of exactly where we'll set up but I'll post it as soon as I know. If anyone is interested in doing a talk that night (or any other night at Pike Lake), let me know ASAP and I'll help you get set up!

      Of course, Pike Lake isn't the only park in Canada! I believe Rick and Kathleen are heading out to Meadow Lake (did I get that right?) for Parks Day. So if you are heading out somewhere else to do some camping that weekend or any other day this summer for that matter, let us know! Remember, some parks offer incentives for doing astronomy talks and/or viewing!

      Clear skies!
      Patty
    • jeff_swick
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 6, 2009
        I'll be on vacation that weekend.
        Let me know if you need any materials before Friday the 10th.