Montezumas Revenge Recap

  • sampowell@covad.net
    Message 1 of 13 , May 1, 2010
      Hello Fun Riders,

      Another BE-A-U-tiful day in the outback yesterday. Although it was nippy at times the wind gods were merciful and we didn't get the gale force sandblasting that was forecast in Ranchita. There were a lot of broken angry clouds churning around the mountaintops which dappled the landscape putting definition on the vast and illusive distances in the desert.

      The second half of the climb up Montezuma seemed endless as my legs never showed up, and my ipod and Bent Steve and his stories were absent as well. But the traffic was missing today too and for the first time ever I heard birds singing and at times total quiet.

      Christian was the lone Montezuma Virgin this trip and had a great time romping around with Just Bob off the front. The climbing duo Helium Girl and Seaweed Steve started up the hill late and floated past me on one of the endless switchbacks like I was standing still - which next to them I was.  Stubby and I had a great time most of the day cruising and enjoying the day in the caboose.

      The Crazy Coyote was closed! Summer hours... they close at 2pm. We missed it by 15 minutes! So we settled for the mex joint in the Mall. It was ok but not Coyotes!

      Enjoy

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/rideczar/sets/72157623966366412/

      Next week?

      Who knows?

      I'll give it serious thought (zzzz)  and get back to you before Monday.

      In the mean time...

      GET OUT THERE!

      Sam Powell

      Ramona Fun Rider

      Ride Czar

    • Steve Hostetler
      Message 2 of 13 , May 1, 2010
        Found: a pair of knee warmers.
      • sampowell@covad.net
        Message 3 of 13 , May 1, 2010

          They are mine, but not really mine. Someone left them in my car a couple of weeks ago.

          I guess they migrated to your stuff.

          -Sam

          Quoting Steve Hostetler :

          Found: a pair of knee warmers.

        • Christian Tresize
          Message 4 of 13 , May 1, 2010

            Hey Sam,

            Didn’t know that you were such an accomplished poet.

            Thanx again for planning such an exceptional ride – you continue to amaze this “coastie” with the route courses you choose that have such great scenery and NO traffic!

            Christian

              Message 6 of 13 , May 2, 2010

                Sam doesn't know it but I had borrowed those on the 'Run to Camachos'. I need them back.

                Sherry

                Message 7 of 13 , May 2, 2010
                  Fantastic pics.  So did Stubby finally find a saddle that fits?

                  The new "Big Friday" next week looks like a winner.

                • sampowell@covad.net
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 26, 2010

                    Hello Fun Riders!

                    It was a fine day for riding Montezuma. It was Susan, Stubby and mwah. Truly the B Team!
                    We had a good time and the late lunch at Coyote's was excellent.

                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/rideczar/sets/72157625475438498/show/

                    Things of note:

                    Terrible Tom criss crossed our route several times from different angles. He went by so fast that I didn't have time to get  my camera up.

                    78 was pretty busy with holiday traffic but as you know is mercifully short from scissors to Yaqui. (You'll notice no pictures of the canyon this time )

                    Susan had a neck injury that flared up and we made a couple of stops so she could rest, massage and loosen it up.

                    Stubby said he likes to climb Montezuma much better with actual climbing gears.

                    I had a good day and got the Monty polka dot jersey which is very unusual for the likes of me.

                    The weather was chilly at Ranchita but all in all a mellow sunny winter day.

                    Next week is Big Friday.

                    -Sam