[rambin] pass this on - Patti Adley Bryan

  • trot1fun
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 12, 1999
      >>: >Subject: You don't owe me anything.
      >>: >
      >>: >You know, he almost didn't see the old lady, stranded on
      the side
      of
      the
      >>: >road.  But even in the dim light of
      day, he could see she needed
      help.
      >So
      >>: he
      >>: >pulled up in front of her Mercedes and got out.  His Pontiac
      was
      still
      >>: >sputtering when he approached her.  Even with
      the smile on his
      face,
      she
      >>: was
      >>: >worried. No
      one had stopped to help for the last hour or so.  Was
      he
      >>going
      >>: >hurt her? He didn't
      look safe, he looked poor and hungry. He could
      see
      >>that
      >>: >she was frightened, standing out
      there in the cold.  He knew how
      she
      >>felt.
      >>:
      It
      >>: >was that chill which only fear can put in you. He said,
      "I'm here
      >help
      >>: you
      >>: >ma'am. Why
      don't you wait in the car where it's warm? By the way,
      my
      >name
      >>: is
      >>: >Bryan."
      >>: >
      >>: >Well, all she had was a flat
      tire, but for an old lady, that was
      bad
      >>: enough.
      >>: >Bryan crawled under the car looking for a place to put the
      jack,
      >skinning
      >>: his
      >>: >knuckles a time or
      two.  Soon he was able to change the tire. But
      he
      had
      >>: >get dirty and his hands
      hurt.  As he was tightening up the lug
      nuts,
      she
      >>: >rolled down the window and began to talk to him. She told him
      that
      she
      >>was
      >>: >from St.  Louis and was only
      just passing through. She couldn't
      thank
      >him
      >>: >enough
      for coming to her aid.  Bryan just smiled as he closed her
      trunk.
      >>: She
      >>: >asked him how much she owed him.
      Any amount would have been all
      right
      >>with
      >>: >her.  She had already imagined all the awful things that could
      have
      >>: happened
      >>: >had he not
      stopped.
      >>: >
      >>: >Bryan never thought twice about the
      money.  This was not a job to
      him.
      >>This
      >>: >was
      helping someone in need, and God knows there were plenty who
      had
      >>given
      >>: him
      >>: >a hand in the
      past...He had lived his whole life that way, and it
      >>: >never
      occurred to him to act any other way. He told her that if she
      >>really
      >>: >wanted to pay him back, the next time she
      saw someone who needed
      help,
      >>she
      >>: >could give that
      person the assistance that they needed, and Bryan
      added
      >>:
      "..and
      >>: >think of me". He waited until she started her
      car and drove off.
      It
      had
      >>: been
      >>: >a cold and
      depressing day, but he felt good as he headed for home,
      >>: >disappearing into the twilight.
      >>: >
      >>: >A few
      miles down the road the lady saw a small cafe.  She went in
      >grab
      >>: >bite to eat, and take the
      chill off before she made the last leg of
      her
      >>: trip
      >>: >home.  It was a dingy looking restaurant.  Outside were two old
      gas
      >>pumps.
      >>: >
      >>: >The whole scene was
      unfamiliar to her. The cash register was like
      the
      >>: >telephone
      of an out of work actor-it didn't ring much.  Her
      waitress
      >came
      >>: over
      >>: >and brought a
      clean towel to wipe her wet hair.  She had a sweet
      smile,
      >>one
      >>: >that even being on her feet for
      the whole day couldn't erase. The
      lady
      >>: noticed
      >>: >that the waitress was nearly eight months pregnant, but she
      never
      let
      >the
      >>: >strain and aches change her attitude.
      The old lady wondered how
      someone
      >>who
      >>: >had so
      little could be so giving to a stranger.
      >>: >
      >>: >Then
      she remembered Bryan.  After the lady finished her meal, and
      the
      >>: waitress
      >>: >went to get change for her
      hundred dollar bill, the lady slipped
      right
      >>out
      >>:
      the
      >>: >door. She was gone by the time the waitress came back. She
      wondered
      >where
      >>: the
      >>: >lady could be, then she
      noticed something written on the napkin
      under
      >>which
      >>: >was four $100 bills. There were tears in her eyes when she
      read
      what
      the
      >>: lady
      >>: >wrote.  It said:
      "You don't owe me anything, I have been there too.
      >>:
      Somebody
      >>: >once helped me out, the way I'm helping you.  If
      you really want to
      pay
      >>me
      >>: >back, here is what you
      do: Do not let this chain of love end with
      you."
      >>: >
      >>: >Well, there were tables to clear, sugar bowls to fill, and
      people
      >>serve,
      >>: >but the waitress made it through
      another day. That night when she
      got
      >>home
      >>: >from
      work and climbed into bed, she was thinking about the money
      and
      >what
      >>: the
      >>: >lady had
      written.  How could the lady have known how much she and
      her
      >>: husband
      >>: >needed it?  With the baby
      due next month, it was going to be hard.
      >>: >
      >>: >She
      knew how worried her husband was, and as he lay sleeping next
      >her,
      >>: she
      >>: >gave him a soft kiss
      and whispered soft and low,  "Everything's
      gonna
      be
      >>:
      all
      >>: >right; I love you, Bryan."
      >>: >
      >>: >Today, I sent you this story, now I am asking you to pass
      it
      on...Let
      >>this
      >>: >light shine.  Don't put it