New Middle Eastern Drumming Class with John Price, March 8 - April 12

  • freecellwizard
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27, 2010
      Join Middle Eastern percussionist John Price for a special 6 week
      drumming class at Music Explorium!

      Students of all levels will have a great time playing the doumbek, also
      known as Arabictableh or darbouka. We will mix drills, technique,
      rhythms andimprovisation, and some good old-fashioned jamming so that
      everyone canprogress. This is a wonderful instrument that is played
      tucked underthe arm "finger style" and is used in classical, folk, and
      pop Arabic music, as well as to accompany belly dancers.

      John will teach classical Arabic technique, which allows dramatic sounds
      without undue exertion.

      Studentsinterested in riqq (tambourine) are welcome to bring theirs for
      riqqinstruction or can use one of several loaners during the class.

      Class Time: Mondays, 7pm - 8pm at the Music Explorium
      <http://www.musicexplorium.com/> in Durham/RTP
      Class Cost: $65 for 6 weeks (drop-ins welcome at $15 per class)
      Dates: March 8 - April 12
      Whatto bring: A doumbek. Several loaner drums are available, or I can
      help you find one to buy.
      How to pay: Contact me directly at freecellwizard@...
      <mailto:freecellwizard@...> to register. You can mail me a check
      or bring it to the first class.

      Private lessons are also available at 8pm Mondays after the main class
      (first come first serve).

      I look forward to seeing you there!