RE: [raleighdrumcircle] Re: Attunement Circle - March 13, 7pm

  • April Hall
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2008
      You know, I have sat back on a number of occasions and have read members
      comments a views on several different issues. I have kept my peace. I want
      to say that Greg has poured his heart and soul into the drumming group, and
      it really pisses me off to read comments like this. You really should not
      post messages like this to the whole group. If I am taking this comment out
      of context, I apologize, but it seems very offensive to me. Greg's "path"
      is not any one's business but his own, if you are referring to his personal
      beliefs. When it comes down to it, we all came from the same place, so why
      can't we all take some aspects from different cultures? Again, if this what
      you meant, you need to be more clear in your comments.

      I am posting this message to the whole group, because I want to emphasize
      personal attacks like this are not welcome on this group.

      April

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2008
        before this gets out of proportion, the comment that i made to greg
        was not intended to be malicious however i realize due to its brevity
        that it could be taken in many ways. i will respond this evening in a clearer
        fashion and i apologize for the misunderstanding.
        Darren GilleyExecutive DirectorBorenya West African Drum and DancePo Box 50282Columbia SC 29250www.borenya.orgbajea7@... 937.287.6044 cell

        To: raleighdrumcircle@yahoogroups.comFrom: springpeeps@...: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 09:21:05 -0500Subject: RE: [raleighdrumcircle] Re: Attunement Circle - March 13, 7pm

        You know, I have sat back on a number of occasions and have read memberscomments a views on several different issues. I have kept my peace. I wantto say that Greg has poured his heart and soul into the drumming group, andit really pisses me off to read comments like this. You really should notpost messages like this to the whole group. If I am taking this comment outof context, I apologize, but it seems very offensive to me. Greg's "path"is not any one's business but his own, if you are referring to his personalbeliefs. When it comes down to it, we all came from the same place, so whycan't we all take some aspects from different cultures? Again, if this whatyou meant, you need to be more clear in your comments.I am posting this message to the whole group, because I want to emphasizepersonal attacks like this are not welcome on this group.AprilFrom: raleighdrumcircle@yahoogroups.com[mailto:raleighdrumcircle@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Darren GilleySent: Friday, February 29, 2008 10:15 PMTo: raleighdrumcircle@yahoogroups.comSubject: RE: [raleighdrumcircle] Re: Attunement Circle - March 13, 7pmgreg, you seem to be undecided about your pathi.e. you have no pathDarren GilleyExecutive DirectorBorenya West AfricanDrum and DancePo Box 50282Columbia SC 29250www.borenya.orgbajea7@...<mailto:29250www.borenya.orgbajea7%40hotmail.com> 937.287.6044 cellTo: raleighdrumcircle@yahoogroups.comFrom<mailto:raleighdrumcircle%40yahoogroups.comFrom> : greg@...<mailto:greg%40oakcitydrums.comDate> : Fri, 29 Feb 2008 18:36:55+0000Subject: [raleighdrumcircle] Re: Attunement Circle - March 13, 7pmA couple of people have asked me what this is all about. Here's myvision forthe event:- Symbolic opening of the circle based on Native Americantraditions.This may include "smudging" using smoke from burning sage orsomesuch as a symbolic purification of drums and people to cleanse ourheartsbefore we begin. This may also include the Native Americantradition ofopening the circle by honoring the four directions.- Statement of purpose toset the intent for the event. This is aformal proclamation to ensure thateveryone is on the same sheet ofmusic regarding our mental focus for thedrumming over the next hour.- Drumming to set the focus - drumming a steadybeat to align everyonetogether; this will be a listening activity using aframe drum. Probably will use guided imagery. Will evolve into....- Unisondrumming: long session of everyone drumming the same thingall together;sometimes called the Eagle beat (roughly 3 beats persecond); like ametronome.- Healing Heartbeat - more unison drumming at 2 bps to theheartbeatpattern.- Melodic Circle - use of other instrumentation like fluteanddidgeridoo, chimes and gongs, small percussion- Sharing Thanks- FormalClosingThis event will not include free style drum jamming. Otherthanimprovisation using small percussion items, this willbe very guided,long-duration (15 minutes or so) drumming to help"re-tune" our bodies,minds, and spirits.-Greg __________________________________________________________Shed those extra pounds with MSN and The Biggest Loser!http://biggestloser.msn.com/%5bNon-text portions of this message have been removed][Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

      • Djembe G
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 3, 2008
          This will be held in the rotunda of Joyner Visitor Center at NC State.
          The address is 1210 Varsity Drive, at the corner of Western Blvd and
          Varsity, one block from Gorman St. Again, this is on Wednesday, March
          12, 7-8pm.

          I'll have a dozen or so Remo-style frame drums and a variety of small
          percussion items for use at this event, but feel free to bring your
          own as well. Flutes, didgeridoo, triangles, chimes, gongs, wood
          blocks, shakers, etc would all be appropriate for this event.

          If you have a favorite drumming chair you're welcome to bring that as
          well. There are a couple of benches and tons of chairs with arms at
          the venue. The rotunda is gi-normous; we'll be in front of 30'
          windows that face Western Blvd and really feel like an open space.

          Best,

          -Greg
        • Djembe G
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 3, 2008
            Correction -
            That's Thursday, March 13th. Sorry for the confusion!

            -Greg