FWD: MX Newsletter

  • Djembe G
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2005
      Music Explorium News - July 29, 2005

      The Music Explorium and Electric Violin Shop GRAND OPENING Day on July
      16 was full of music, fun, and prizes!!
      Our raffle winners:

      Bob Russell -a Remo djembe;
      Eleanor Ide - $100 gift certificate from EVS;
      Steve Backus - mini glow in the dark bongos;
      Chris Friedrich - mini glow in the dark bongos;
      Maree McKenzie - claves.

      We had two fabulous drums circles, a wide variety of well attended
      workshops and a stellar performance by frame drum group Sancta. Thanks
      to everyone who participated in our celebration either by showing up
      or sending us your good wishes.

      We feel very appreciated and supported, and we thank you.

      What's New in our New Space

      *****************

      New goodies in MX

      Chakra Quartz Singing Bowls $180-$240
      Irish 3 Octave Harp with bag - $355
      Pro Set Tabla - $395 - new fabulous red case
      Dholak - $84.00
      AND
      bodrans, boomwhacker books, banjos, melodicas.
      The analog Moogerfooger Phaser - just $299 - most muscial phaser ever!
      Shofar, sitar and sweet muscial note lollipops - most muscial lollipop
      ever!
      tars & ties (Zydeco that is)

      Drumming EVENTS at MX
      Monthly Drum Circle - We are getting back to a once-a-month drum
      circles, now that we have space in our new event room. Saturday,
      August 20th, 7:30-9:30PM is our next one. At the July 16 event, we had
      about 35 folks who played not just drums, but a fabulous didgeridoo
      (thanks Layne) with hand percussion and a violin- Blaise style. So
      bring instruments that you want to jam with and let's create musical
      fun. There's drums to loan and all levels and all ages are welcome.
      Donations will be accepted.

      Beginning Dumbek class with Jill Baldwin
      Jill is offering a series of four dumbek classes on Thursday nights,
      September 15, 22, 29 and October 6, 7-9 PM. Jill will be teaching
      dumbek techniques and taking the whole series is recommended. The fee
      is $50/4 classes or $15 per class for drop-ins. We have drums to loan.
      Call 484-9090 to register. The class will take place in our spacious
      Community Event Room.

      What's new in the drumming community

      ********************

      Drumming in Carrboro!
      Community Drum & Dance Circle - Wednesday, August 3, 7:30-9:30 PM at
      Carrboro Century Center. This is part of Carrboro Parks & Rec
      Serendipity Series and welcomes all ages and ability levels. Lots of
      drums to loan and scarves for dancing. Fee is $3 person/ $8 group.
      Blaise and Cathy will be facilitating. Come join the fun!

      Introduction to Frame Drumming with Farrunissa Lila Rosa
      This is a in depth introduction to Layne Redmond style tambourine and
      tar (Middle Easter frame drum). Class and handouts cover all Layne's
      drumming techniques and hand exercises. Students can choose from 3
      dates: Sat., Sept 17, Sun. Oct. 2 , Sat. Oct 29, 10:30 AM - 3:30 PM in
      Durham, $25. Drums to loan.
      This class will be a pre-requisite to 2006 Layne Redmond's Giving
      Birth TO Ourselves (GBTO) presented by Farrunnissa, an in-depth
      exploration of tambourine and tar. This is a six month series on the
      last Saturday of the month Jan - June, 9 AM-9 PM at Music Explorium's.
      Fee is $390. For information or to register 361-2383 or NurLuna@...

      Musical quote - "Music has no other object than to brush aside the
      veil of everday life, in order to bring us face to face with reality
      itself. "
      - Henri Bergson

      thanks,
      Blaise, Cathy, Jj, Jill, Kevin, Gabe
      Music Explorium NEW phone # 919-484-9090
      Electric Violin Shop NEW phone # 919-806-3311
      5314 Highway 55, Suite 102
      Durham NC 27713
      Mon. - Fri 11 to 6, Sat. 10-5
      www.MusicExplorium.com
      www.ElectricViolinShop.com

      Directions to our new stores ~
      Music Explorium/Electric Violin Shop - 5314 Hwy 55, Suite 102, Durham -
      in Kitt Creek Office Park.

      take I-40 to exit #278 (This is one exit east of Fayetteville Road -
      South Point Mall)
      Turn right on Hwy 55 South
      (it is a right whether you come from east or west on I-40)
      go straight across Hwy 54
      go past Sherwin Williams Paint and Lewis BBQ on right
      look for a blue sign on the right for Kitt Creek Office Park
      turn right into parking lot

      Our building is parallel to the road. - Building 5314, Suite 102

      (if you get to the light at Sedwick , where the Spa
      Health Club and Sarah's Empanadas and the Thai and
      Indian restaurants are, you've gone too far)

      Coming from downtown Durham on Hwy 147 South
      go to the end of Route 147 (take the right fork towards I-40 to Chapel
      Hill, but don't bear further right to get on I-40)
      At light, turn left onto Alexander Drive.
      Go about one mile to the end of Alexander.
      At light turn right onto Hwy 55 (going towards Durham)
      after the 1st stoplight at Sedwick Rd., take the 2nd
      left into Kitt Creek Office Park
      Our building is parallel to the hwy. - 5314, Suite 102
      (if you get to Lewis BBQ you have gone too far)
    • Djembe G
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 8, 2006
        *Music Explorium News - June 7, 2006

        Put more PLAY in your day!

        What's Inside?_
        2nd Saturday Playshop - New Schedule!! ~ New Staff Member <staff>~
        What's New & What's On Sale ~ Khalid Saleem ~ Explore! Rhythm ****~
        Store hours ~ Ubaka Hill ~ Giving Back ~ Musical Quote*

        *Let's Drum this Saturday!
        ***2nd Saturday Playshops- June 10th**
        **3 big events **~ drums to loan for all 3 events - ****
        **10-11AM - Kids' Drum Circle games - with Cathy Kielar* ages 3 & up,
        fun for parents too. * *$5/person, $10/family.

        *11:15 AM - Beginning Djembe techniques class with Jill Baldwin -*
        ages 10 & up - Learn or refine your drumming techniques. 11:15
        AM-12:15 PM. $10.

        *Cha-Cha-Changes!!**
        **Now, two times: **

        *7:00 - 8 PM CommUNITY Rhythm Circle,** Family time.* We'll play some
        rhythm games and learn rhythms. This is a time for children up to age
        8 to come and experience fun with rhythm.

        *8:00 - 9:30 PM** - **CommUNITY Rhythm Circle,* This is a time fore
        adults and older kids to come together to create spontaneous group
        music. We'll use drums and all kinds of creative hand percussion to
        create in whatever way we are moved to create.
        *Drums to loan and donation basis fee for both sessions***

        *New to the Music Explorium family* <staff>
        *Glo Pereira is joining our staff .* Glo is a conga, djembe and
        trap set player. Her conga training started with Giovanni Hidalgo,
        who knew her grandfather in Latin America. Later she studied African
        djembe drumming and Samba rhythms on the tambourine and surdo. Glo
        will be facilitating kids' and adults' rhythm events with Cathy at
        Music Explorium and throughout the community. She's also a techie,
        so look out for a new MX website soon!

        What's NEW and What's on Sale?*
        New in stock *

        *Krin -* RJ Perez-Edwards made this African slit drum from cedar,
        sounds great and smells great. - $100

        *African Metal Scrappers *- also made by RJ - 2 sizes - $25 and $37

        *Djembes from Sage man *- New supply beautiful wood drums carved with
        dragon and goddess motifs. Alsp deep carved design. They are
        made in Indonesia and come with 10", 12" and 13" skin heads. They
        look and sound great and are reasonably priced from $150 to $349.

        *On SALE!
        CLOSE OUT on Ukuleles

        40% off all our Bushman, Flukes and Flea brand of nukes. We want to
        make room for more fun percussion, so we want to close out our uke
        sales. Shop now, while we got 'em!
        *

        *Khalid is coming!*
        Once again our drumming community has the privilege of having
        Khalid Saleem come to Durham for the summer. Khalid spends each summer
        in the Triangle as a drummer for the American Dance Festival and
        teaching djembe. We do not have Khalid's schedule yet, but as soon
        as we do, we'll post it on the website. We hope he'll be teaching
        at MX.

        **
        *Quality Custom-made Sitars*
        Last week we had the privilege of having an incredible sitar
        maker come into our shop. Tony Karasek lives in India, and while here
        visiting his brother Nick, brought in his beautiful custom-made
        sitar. We were all astonished at the workmanship and sound of his
        instrument. None of us had ever seen such an amazing custom-made
        sitar. We invite you to visit Tony's beautiful website to not only
        see his sitar and tanpura offerings, but to get a great education
        about these instruments. http://www.karaseksound.com/

        *EXPLORE! Rhythm**
        offers: Birthday Parties- or any occasion party - for ages 3 and up
        - Adults love this too!*
        Cathy has been doing lots of fun musical birthday parties in our
        new community event room. Why not come to MX for your next birthday
        party and drum up some fun? These parties are great for ages 3 and
        up. For 3-6 year olds we do a combination of rhythm and puppets
        (see them on the website), and for adults - we just did a sixtieth
        birthday party. We bring out the big drums and the wild rhythm
        toys.

        Folks seven and older learn fun biorhythms and even create their
        own group rhythms. Have your "funnest party" every with us!! Have the
        fun and the mess here at MX - and not at your house! We Put More
        PLAY in your Birth-DAY! - Also Cathy and Blaise conduct drumming
        events in our local community. We bring our drums to you! Go to
        www.musicexplorium.com and then click on Rhythm Events.

        *for Kids:

        Rhythm events for Camps, Intersession and After-school** programs
        Drum circles make great field trips!
        for Adults (& families):*
        *Rhythm events for **festivals, neighborhood gatherings,
        professional development retreats, professional conferences. Great
        activity for any community building event.**

        **Reminder - MX store hours: THURSDAY TO SATURDAY ONLY*
        *Thursday & Friday 11 AM-6 PM; Sat. 10AM-5 PM - other times by
        appointment.* If you come in on those days with a specific
        purchase in mind, the folks at Electric Violin Shop can help you.* ****
        *Electric Violin Shop will keep its usual store hours: M - F
        11AM-6PM, Sat 10AM-5PM.*

        Ubaka Hill is coming to Chapel Hill Saturday, Sat., November 18th.
        Mark you calendars! Details to follow.

        *Giving Back to our Community*
        We give to music related not-for-profits quarterly. This quarter
        we are donating $100 *Raleigh Drum Circles (RD).* We are assisting in
        RDC hosting of an African drumming class by Khalid Saleem. This was
        a huge event last summer, and we have decided to support this
        offering once again. Raleigh Drum Circle hosts a community drum
        circle every 1st and 3rd Monday, 7-9 PM at Lake Johnson Park. Drums
        to loan, $2 fee.
        details.

        *Space to rent*
        We are renting a teaching studio with a window and lots of
        sunlight. We also rent our spacious Community Event Room. It has 462
        sf pergo floor, kitchen, bathroom, private back entrance. Call us at
        484-9090. Good rates. It's great for recitals, classes and small
        concerts. Great acoustics!
        **

        ***Musical Quote -
        */ "I am not the musician. I just hold the instrument."
        Pointing up to the sky he said "He is the musician."
        /Hamza El Din (Egyptian born in 1930 - died last week in San
        Francisco)- Tar and oud player.
        Considered the father of modern Nubian music.
        *

        *Remember ~ Local Music, Global Harmony**
        *thanks,*
        **/Cathy, Jill, Glo, Blaise, Kevin, Chris
        /**
        **//**
        *Music Explorium 919-484-9090*
        *5314 Highway 55, Suite 102