Oak City Drums Update

  • Djembe G
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2004
      It's prime time get outside and drum season! OCD just picked up a
      new listing:

      Remo 14" key-tuned djembe, Leon Mobley Signature Series, $165 obo.
      This drum is NEW! See the photo gallery below for more details....

      Also, still listed are:

      West Cliff Percussion 10" pine ashiko, $120 obo.

      West Cliff Percussion 12" oak ashiko, with fur, $150.

      See pics of all at http://www.villagephotos.com/pubgallery.asp?
      id_=852713

      OCD is a recycling effort to get those unused drums out and about and
      back in circulation (drum pun intended). The idea is to make quality
      used drums available and affordable.

      All drums will be available to try at the Raleigh Drum Circle's Lake
      Johnson Jam tonight: Monday November 1, 7 pm, Lake Johnson Park,
      4601 Avent Ferry Road (between Tryon and Gorman). Since the weather
      is good, we'll probably be outside, so come out and enjoy it while we
      can!

      thanks,

      -Greg
      Oak City Drums
      919-513-2905 (days)
      919-696-0883 (after hours, within reason ;^)
    • Djembe G
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 2, 2004
        OCD just had two adoptions at last night's Lake Johnson Jam!

        Congratulations to Robin on her new Remo Djembe and to Kelly on her
        WCP Ashiko! Hooray!

        Thanks for supporting OCD!

        -Greg :^D

        --- In raleighdrumcircle@yahoogroups.com, "Djembe G"

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 29, 2004
          Hi Everyone -

          Oak City Drums has started hibernating a bit for the Winter....

          I just did a program for Triangle-area KinderMusik Teachers to help
          them involve percussion in their kinder programs. It was a great
          event with more than a dozen educators involved.

          A couple of our drum circle friends from Wake County Schools just
          presented at an NC Educators conference. I've started getting some
          calls to consult on building drum circle programs in schools. :^D
          How cool is that? You know, Babatunde Olatunji had an adage about "a
          drum in every house"... maybe we can at least get one in every school!

          I currently have one consignment drum available: a great West Cliff
          Percussion Ashiko drum. See pics at:
          http://www.villagephotos.com/pubgallery.asp?id_=852713 . Click on
          the pics for details. This drum is listed at $150. All reasonable
          offers will be considered.

          If all goes well, I'll soon be consigning some of R.J. Perz-Edwards'
          Stardust & Sawdust ashiko drums.... Ask Ronnie Pulley for a review
          on these since he owns a real beauty!

          My membership to the Drum Circle Facilitators Guild has been approved
          and I'm now a "DCFG"-er in good standing. They're working on
          building my webpage and I'm working on building a website for OCD.

          Thanks to all for your continued support!

          -Greg
        • Turnpike Man
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 29, 2004
            Congrats on the Guild stuff man! :) btw, latest update for me, I bought a
            Full Circle Drum large doumbek. :) http://www.fullcircledrums.com

            David M.

            --- Djembe G <greg_whitt@...> wrote:

            > Hi Everyone -
            >
            > Oak City Drums has started hibernating a bit for the Winter....
            >
            > I just did a program for Triangle-area KinderMusik Teachers to help
            > them involve percussion in their kinder programs. It was a great
            > event with more than a dozen educators involved.
            >
            > A couple of our drum circle friends from Wake County Schools just
            > presented at an NC Educators conference. I've started getting some
            > calls to consult on building drum circle programs in schools. :^D
            > How cool is that? You know, Babatunde Olatunji had an adage about "a
            > drum in every house"... maybe we can at least get one in every school!
            >
            > I currently have one consignment drum available: a great West Cliff
            > Percussion Ashiko drum. See pics at:
            > http://www.villagephotos.com/pubgallery.asp?id_=852713 . Click on
            > the pics for details. This drum is listed at $150. All reasonable
            > offers will be considered.
            >
            > If all goes well, I'll soon be consigning some of R.J. Perz-Edwards'
            > Stardust & Sawdust ashiko drums.... Ask Ronnie Pulley for a review
            > on these since he owns a real beauty!
            >
            > My membership to the Drum Circle Facilitators Guild has been approved
            > and I'm now a "DCFG"-er in good standing. They're working on
            > building my webpage and I'm working on building a website for OCD.
            >
            > Thanks to all for your continued support!
            >
            > -Greg

            http://my.yahoo.com
          • Djembe G
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 30, 2004
              Hey Didgy-Djemmy-D --

              Thanks for well-wishes and congrats on the new doumbek! I've heard
              really good stuff about Full Circle being high quality gear. Can't
              wait to hear you in Middle Eastern mode!

              My latest addition is a vintage LP Original model Tumba. It's a red
              fiberglass drum that I'm going to clean up and restore. It's got the
              old-school counter hoop rather than the new-style comfort curve rim.
              If it sounds good with my Toca glass conga, I may consider stripping
              them both down and taking them in for a custom auto paint job to make
              it a pseudo-matched set. Let me know if you have any recommendations
              in that regard....

              The tumba has a natural cowskin head but my conga has a Nu-Skyn head
              from Remo. Both sound good in very unique ways. I'm not sure which
              way I'll lean though - synthetic humidity-proof never-needs-tuning
              sound or the warmth of tone you can only get with animal skin.
              Hmmm.... Since I don't often bring the conga down to the lake,
              natural may be the way to go. However, since I would like to gig
              more, the synthetics are better at staying tuned and cutting
              through. Hmmm.....

              I've got one standing basket stand, but am interested in having a
              floor set up. I've seen Gibraltar's floor stands and some cheapy
              basket stands and some really high dollar LP stands in catalogs. I
              haven't tried those new floor pads that Billy C at Progressive
              mentioned, though.

              Does anyone on the list have any experience with seated play conga
              stands?

              -G
            • Djembe G
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 25, 2005
                Hi Folks-

                OCD has been back-burnered this month since I'm moving across town.
                However, we did manage to place the xylophone made by R.J. from
                Stardust & Sawdust. Kudos to that brave soul who faced Wednesday's
                mid-day weather to pick it up!

                Still available is R.J.'s fire-cracker ashiko drum:
                http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1166605
                along with several other small percussion items like shakers and
                mbiras. If you're looking to fill out your percussion kit this is a
                great way to do so while supporting your local artists.

                Also, we have a half dozen sets of ClickSticks:
                http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1174376
                a tree-friendly clave with a warmer, mellower sound that is a
                collaboration of OCD and Scalded Dog Woodworks, another local artisan.

                Lastly, to offset some moving expenses, I'm entertaining offers on an
                LP Original Model Tumba that I adopted from a local pawn shop. It's a
                vintage fiberglass drum that I've cleaned up, lug-lubed, and fitted
                with a new NuSkyn synthetic head. It's weather proof and virtually
                bullet proof. No pics available yet, but contact me if you'd like
                more info on this or any other gear consigned with Oak City Drums, or
                if you are interested in consigning your percussion gear that needs a
                new home.

                Thanks for your continued support!

                -Greg
                djembe_g@...