RAS Meeting

  • raleighaquariumsociety
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2004
      June 2004
      Next Meeting: Thursday, June 3rd@7:30pm
      Meetings are held on the first Thursday of each month at the N.C.
      State Veterinary Medical College located at 4700 Hillsborough Street
      in Raleigh. Visitors are welcome! Snacks and light refreshments are
      provided. A raffle of fish and fish related items follow the
      meeting. Due to Security Issues, NCSU has required that the doors
      going into the downstairs lobby remain locked. Please be on time,
      as we will have a designated person standing by the door to let you
      in. If you are late, you may try knocking or call Brandon Berry's
      cell phone at 252-266-3559, Jeff Jenkins at 919-612-0229, or John
      Patterson at 919-264-4011.

      Meeting Agenda

      Color and Behavior in Fish

      The ability to change color is crucial to survival, territorial
      defense, and reproduction in many kinds of fishes. Some fishes
      change color slowly over weeks or months, while others can
      dramatically change colors within seconds or minutes. RAS member
      Gerald Pottern will discuss where fish colors come from, how color
      changes occur, and how fish use color to hide from predators, trick
      their prey, threaten other fish, attract mates, and control their
      kids. Also, there will be a few words on color enhancing tricks used
      in the aquarium trade.

      Other Announcements

      Future Speakers for our Meetings
      If you know of anyone who would be willing to give a talk at one of
      our meetings, please contact Gerald Pottern at
      gpottern@... or Brandon Berry at
      brandonberry@... . Our goal is to have a variety of different
      topics, so that we can accommodate all of our members' aquatic
      interests. Even if you do not know of any speakers, let us know
      what types of speakers you would like to have in the future.

      North American Native Fishes Association (NANFA) 2004 Convention -
      Columbia, SC - June 17-20
      Dustin Smith, Fritz Rohde and Chip Rinehart will be acting as your
      hosts. The format for the meeting will be a full day on Friday of
      collecting trips around South Carolina, with the possibility of
      brief forays into North Carolina and Georgia. Friday night they
      will have their annual auction as well as guided tours of the
      aquariums at Riverbanks Zoo. On Saturday they will have
      presentations of interest to NANFA members by some well-known and
      highly regarded speakers, followed the banquet that night, also at
      Riverbanks. Sunday, for those interested, they will do some more
      collecting. See the website for more details. http://www.nanfa.org/

      Plantfest – June 25-27, 2004, Gainesville, FL
      Last year folks had a great time. The goal is for Plantfest this is
      not viewing lots of aquariums, but rather seeing the plants growing
      naturally out in nature in a variety of diverse ecosystems and
      habitats. There will plenty of chances to acquire plants, driftwood,
      fish/critters and petrified rock.