windows authentication and rainbow user profiles

  • matro
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 18, 2004
      hi there,

      as far as I've understood, if the integrated windows authentication
      is enabled, then the rainbow user profiles - rb_Users table and the
      like - are no more used, while the rainbow roles are matched against
      NT or AD groups (except for the Admin role, which is hard coded in
      the source and matched against the ADAdministratorGroup web.config
      key).

      my environment will migrate to a full Active Directory
      implementation; however, in the meanwhile we have to authenticate
      users through the NTLM protocol (i.e. integrated windows
      authentication), *but* we don't have a centralized user profiles
      support, so we should (and would like to) use the rainbow custom one.

      is there a way to enable the integrated windows authentication
      *while* maintaining the rainbow user profiles handling?

      from an architectural point of view, it should be possible:
      authentication and profiles are different things which may be covered
      by different technologies.

      what I'd like in detail, is to have rainbow to authenticate through
      the NTLM, then to look at the rb_Users table: if the authenticated
      user is not there, then add an entry with default settings and a
      default role. then, use rainbow profiles the same as a form
      authentication enabled site would.

      thank you for your attention.

      (using build 1.4.0.1778e)
    • Emmanuele De Andreis
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 21, 2004
        Probably the fastes way to implent is to integrate:
        http://www.asp.net/Default.aspx?tabindex=6&tabid=41
        Microsoft ASP.NET v1.1 Member Management Component Prototype

        It already supports both sql and ntlm....
        Can be a viable solution for you?

        Manu

        On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 23:33:21 -0000, matro <mailing@...> wrote:

        > hi there,
        >
        > as far as I've understood, if the integrated windows authentication
        > is enabled, then the rainbow user profiles - rb_Users table and the
        > like - are no more used, while the rainbow roles are matched against
        > NT or AD groups (except for the Admin role, which is hard coded in
        > the source and matched against the ADAdministratorGroup web.config
        > key).
        >
        > my environment will migrate to a full Active Directory
        > implementation; however, in the meanwhile we have to authenticate
        > users through the NTLM protocol (i.e. integrated windows
        > authentication), *but* we don't have a centralized user profiles
        > support, so we should (and would like to) use the rainbow custom one.
        >
        > is there a way to enable the integrated windows authentication
        > *while* maintaining the rainbow user profiles handling?
        >
        > from an architectural point of view, it should be possible:
        > authentication and profiles are different things which may be covered
        > by different technologies.
        >
        > what I'd like in detail, is to have rainbow to authenticate through
        > the NTLM, then to look at the rb_Users table: if the authenticated
        > user is not there, then add an entry with default settings and a
        > default role. then, use rainbow profiles the same as a form
        > authentication enabled site would.
        >
        > thank you for your attention.
        >
        > (using build 1.4.0.1778e)
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • matro
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 27, 2004
          hi Manu,

          thank you for your attention.

          the Microsoft MMCP is a complete user management solution, which is good to
          start it over.

          however, I think most of the code is already in Rainbow, so a faster
          approach could be to modify the existing code.

          actually, there's a link between authentication and profiling:

          1) Forms authentication + Rainbow profiling + Rainbow roling
          2) Windows authentication + AD profiling + matched roling

          what I'd like to, is to separate the topics:

          1) Authentication
          a- Forms
          b- Windows integrated (AD or NTLM)

          2) Profiling
          a- Rainbow itself
          b- Windows integrated (AD)

          3) Roling
          a- Rainbow roling
          b- matched roling (automatic set if Windows authentication is enabled)

          so, for example, I could reach my requirement, which is 1b+2a(+3b
          automatically set)

          I still have to explore the topic in detail, but as far as I've seen, the
          Rainbow profiling approach is isolated enough to implement this.

          maybe you or some other interested volunteer can tell me if it's feasible,
          or better if Jonathan Fong (who worked on this) or the LDAPHelper class
          creator may participate.

          (using build 1.4.0.1778e)

          --------
          Francesco "Matro" Martire

          RealPopup, the freeware winpopup replacer
          (http://www.realpopup.it)

          RealAccount, freeware plugin for MS Outlook
          (http://www.realpopup.it/realaccount)