Bread Wrapper Rugs

  • Dave & Lisa Underwood
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 5, 2002
      I have nine kids, so a bread-wrapper rug might just be practical for me, not to mention being ecologically correct.  We also get tons of grocery store bags every week.  Sounds cool.  The blue Wal-Mart bags might work well.  Am I misinterpreting this rug method?

      Lisa Underwood
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 5, 2002
        In a message dated 2/5/02 3:56:40 PM Central Standard Time, underwdl@... writes:

        I have nine kids

        Wow!!! How do you have time to make rag rugs?
        Lisa Bolton
        bltn21575@...
      • Bob & Linda Waldhelm
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 5, 2002
          Hi Lisa,  Nope, don't think you're misinterpreting anything.  The bag rugs are great for outdoors as the weather doesn't bother them.  Now the kids might.  Make sure you make it big enough so it can't be used for a frisbee.. (they do fly pretty good though)  LOL   The more colors, the merrier.   Bob

          PS  Not even going to ask how many loaves of bread per week.   :o)
        • Audrey Almo
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 5, 2002
            Lisa, I just started a plastic bag rug last week.  Decided I'd use the pink and yellow bags my morning newspapers come in.  I have it sitting my my chair, and each night crochet the bags that came that day on.  These rugs really aren't practical for kitchen use, as a spark could easily ignite it.  But I've had one at my cabin for years.....at least 15.  Catches some of the mud at the door, and rinses out easily.  I only cut my strips about 2 inches, but think I should have started with 3 inches or so, as it doesn't have alot of body.  It's nice being able to make something from the toss-aways!  Audrey in MN
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 5, 2002
              Hi Lisa: You have got the right idea on the bread wrapper rugs! My
              mom used to make them ALL the time. We had 5 people in our family
              and she owned a craft shop so customers would bring them in. Just
              cut the sacks like you would peel an apple in one continuous peel.
              When you get to the "bottom", cut it off and toss it out. They make
              GREAT rugs at the back door as boot scrappers and to wash, a garden
              hose works wonders!

              Barbara
            • Dave & Lisa Underwood
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 10, 2002
                Barb,

                This is an old e-mail from you, but I just had an idea. We use Luv's
                diapers for our twins, and the packages they come in are very thick and
                colorful purple and green plastic Barney bags. Thought it would be a great
                project for Earth Day which the kids are celebrating at school at the end of
                the month.

                I still haven't looked at the web site that everyone mentioned when we
                had this topic going, but will do so as soon as I send this. Do you use 3
                inch bread wrapper strips? Can I use any pattern? I think I will use the
                slit and overlap method to connect the strips because they are short. Maybe
                a Barney basket would be cute. I think the plastic is heavy enough.

                We don't use too many packs of diapers anymore, but when our quads were
                little we went through one each day. I belong to a group of triplet mothers
                who might be interested in doing something with their Luv's wrappers (like
                they don't have anything better to do).

                Lisa in IL

                > Hi Lisa: You have got the right idea on the bread wrapper rugs! My
                > mom used to make them ALL the time. We had 5 people in our family
                > and she owned a craft shop so customers would bring them in. Just
                > cut the sacks like you would peel an apple in one continuous peel.
                > When you get to the "bottom", cut it off and toss it out. They make
                > GREAT rugs at the back door as boot scrappers and to wash, a garden
                > hose works wonders!
                >
                > Barbara

              • barbaracr49
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 10, 2002
                  Lisa: OMG! Now why didn't I think of that? hehehehe. Diaper
                  package plastic would make GREAT rugs! My strips are NOT 3" - more
                  like 1 1/2 - 2 inches. Think of the plastic strips like strands of
                  yarn - any pattern will work.

                • barbaracr49
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 10, 2002
                    MY APOLOGIES to all! I was trying to delete the bottom of the email
                    after I wrote it and instead I hit send! I didn't even get to sign
                    my name.

                    Again, my apologies to all for the exceptionally LONG email.

                    Barbara