Re: Rage CCG on Facebook

  • bamf226
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 30, 2009
      I think having a Rage forum is going to have less impact than something on a social networking site. However, you may be able to use a forum and a social networking site to really expand the coverage. Even a fan page on facebook would help direct traffic. Many web sites have a model where they post notes on a facebook fan page to direct traffic to their site.

      --- In rageinfo@yahoogroups.com, Picks-at-Flies <picks-at-flies@...> wrote:

      > Somewhere on my "to do" list is to make a Rage forum. Is this better
      > than Facebook? than a mailing list? I don't know. The main criteria
      > is that it's a single place of contact that everyone is (sufficiently)
      > happy with.
      >
      > Of course, I know nothing at all about setting up forums (any more than
      > I did when I started doing stuff for CCG Workshop/Lackey/Databases etc
      > etc.) - it's perfectly possible, but it requires time, which at the
      > moment I ought to spend elsewhere. There's also a small risk that it
      > might slow my website up, but I don't think it gets enough traffic for
      > that (after all it's currently full of Rage and B5 images and it hasn't
      > caused me any grief).

    • fenris_lorsrai
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 31, 2009
        As a suggestion, BoardGameGeek has forums integrated into the entries for each game entry, both versions of Rage included.

        Which also has images, a section for downloadable files, links, a listing of currently for sale items, stats for how many games have been played, etc.

        Rage's page:
        http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2133
        Tribal War's page:
        http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2134

        Just the Rage forum section:
        http://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/0/thing/2133
        Which actually has a fair amount of strategy articles on it.

        The tribal War forum has tumbleweeds:
        http://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/0/thing/2134

        The front page of BoardGameGeek also now has an "buzz" section showing games with current activity on the page. So if the forums there pick up and become active, it'll show up on front page and lure in new gamers. From people that already play games.

        It also has all the programming done to have it ping a RSS feed, subscribe to individual threads, post a link for page X to various social networking sites and so on.

        It pretty well does just about everything we could probably want in a forum, other than being visible only to registered users.

        Anyway, here's a link to their privacy policy:
        http://www.boardgamegeek.com/privacy.php

        Fenris Lorsrai