Re: Radoshkovich

  • Moses Varshavsky
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 25, 2000
      I would like to add to the information you listed in your last message,
      since I have read many sources,concerning Radoshkovichi,including yours.
      After the war efforts have been made to establish the Jewish community, by
      local remaining 30 Jews. The synagogue was closed, due to "not enough
      number of Jews, to hold a synagogue", since according to Soviet standards,
      as written in the petition by the community to central religious commity
      in Moscow in the reply, the community can have a synagogue, only if it has
      20 religious members who use it, but according to the protocol, the number
      of religious Jews was lesser. The petition was sent by Isaac Isacson. I
      read it in the Central Shprintzak archives in Hebrew University .
      According to Izkor book of Radoshkovichi another prominent person, who
      was born here was Arie Leib Scheinhaus, writer, and Zionist publisher,
      closer friend of Mordechai Zevi Mane,he established a Zionist
      organization,called Kiryat Sefer in Klaipeda,Lithuania, and was one of the
      prominent figures in Jewish community. Although there is no street after
      him, but there is a street in Tel-Aviv after Mordechai Zevi Maneh, named
      so according to request of the remnants of Radoshkovichi community in
      Tel-Aviv.
      Hope to add to your information.
      Moses Varshavsky
    • rosen20817@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 9, 2001
        Dear Fellow Radoshkovich Researcher:
        I have a very rare history and description of Radoshkovich published in 1896
        in Russian, 2 pages, that has never been translated into English. Are you or
        someone you know willing/able to translate this? It is not specifically
        about the Jews of Radoshkovich, but I believe it is the only history of the
        place from such an early date. Please contact me if you are able to help.
        --Steve Rosen, Bethesda, Maryland