1876 Belarus Draft

  • botwinick@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2000
      hi

      I stoped posting to jewishgen for this very same reason
      roots now has a new Jewish list

      miltb

      ooooooooooooo

      Subject: 1876 Belarus Draft Notice Online - 228 names
      From: allbell <allbellNOalSPAM@...>
      Date: Tue, May 2, 2000 10:49 EDT

      I've posted a transcription of a draft notice for what is now
      Belarus from an August 1876 issue of the Minsk Vedomosti
      (official newspaper) at:

      http://members.tripod.com/~allbell/minsk/minskdrafta76.html

      Belarus was then part of the Russian Empire. The list gives the
      names of 228 men who were subject to the Russian draft in 1876.

      Communities named include Bobruisk, Parichi, Kamen, Pobolovo,
      Kazimirovo and Glusk.

      Roughly half of the men on the list are registered as "Hebrews,"
      the rest as Christians and "Old Believers."

      I've cross-posted this message to soc.genealogy.slavic, but I
      haven't posted it to soc.genealogy.jewish because I'm tired of
      playing the game "Guess why the moderator will bounce your post
      today." If you know anyone interested in Belarusan Jewish
      genealogy, you might let them know about my site.

      A.L. Bell
      Kansas City, Missouri