Minsk Gubernia Duma Voter Lists

  • Botwinick@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 18, 2000

      Subject: Volunteer Translators Needed for Duma List Project
      From: "Risa Heywood" <risa@...>
      Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 17:50:52 -0700

      The Belarus SIG is very pleased to announce that we are ready to start
      the translation of the Minsk Gubernia Duma Voter Lists that we had
      acquired. We have a wonderful project coordinator for this project,
      Riki Vered. Riki has already been busy writing guidelines for the
      translators. The Duma Lists that we have to translate are for the
      districts of Minsk, Pinsk, Mozyr, Igumen, Novogrudok, Borisov, and
      Slutsk. The timeframe for these lists is 1906-1907. We have 7 SIG
      members who have volunteered to translate the lists, but we need
      about 10 more. If you are proficient at transliterating printed
      Cyrillic, then consider volunteering for this exciting project.
      The results of the translations will be converted to a JewishGen
      database that will be accessible from our website.

      Write to me at: risa@...
      if you would like to volunteer and let me know which district's list
      you would like to work on.

      For more information on Duma Voter Lists see our Duma List FAQ at

      http://www.jewishgen.org/belarus/duma.htm.

      To see the already completed Rechitsa District list go to

      http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/rechitsa.htm.

      Thanks to a number of very generous SIG members, we have raised enough
      money to cover our acquisition of the lists.

      Since our SIG does not charge dues for membership, the only way we can
      acquire records such as the Duma Lists is though donations by our
      members. If you can help in any way, please go to the Belarus SIG
      JewishGenerosity page at
      http://www.jewishgen.org/JewishGen-erosity/belarus.html

      There you will find a list of ongoing projects for which funding is
      needed. If none of those specific projects interest you, consider
      making a donation to the Belarus SIG general fund.

      Risa Heywood
      Belarus SIG Co-Coordinator
      Boulder, Colorado
      risa@...