radoshkovich as surname?

  • bzucker@xxxxxxxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 12, 1999
      Dear radoshkovichlist members:

      I'm a new member of this list, and hope you'll consider a rather far-fetched
      query.

      I'm researching family in Minsk gubierna, Belarus-->US (Connecticut,
      possibly NYC), surnames ZIMMERMAN, ROZOVSKY.

      My great-grandmother, Leah ROZOVSKY ZIMMERMAN (1870-1950, came to CT around 1906.
      One sibling, Rushka, and her husband, supposedly a forester by the name of
      LAZAR RADASCOVICH, also emigrated to CT,changing their name to RADIS in the
      process.

      The Rozovsky and Zimmerman families came from the Borisov uezd, outside Minsk.
      The ROZOVSKYs, specifically, probably came from LOGOYSK (just n. of Minsk, and
      not too far from the shtetl of Radoshkovichi.) Zimmermans from Borisov.

      My question: have any of you heard of RADASCOVICH/RADOSHCOVICH being used as a
      surname, specifically from inhabitants of this shtetl? Additionally, are either
      of these two other surnames familiar in your family tree or resources? I do
      have further names, if any of this sounds familiar.

      Thanks!
      Betsy
      bzucker@...
    • Botwinick@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 13, 1999
        ques
        My question: have any of you heard of RADASCOVICH/RADOSHCOVICH being used as
        a surname, specifically from inhabitants of this shtetl? Additionally, are
        either of these two other surnames familiar in your family tree or resources?
        <<<<

        oooooooooooooooo

        ans
        I have not heard of RADASCOVICH/RADOSHCOVICH being used as a surname,
        specifically from inhabitants of our shtetl.

        These two surnames are not known in my family tree or resources.

        I have not done a search on these names and suggest you look in the Rado
        yiskor book and some geographicalk name books.

        I think it very likely that someone would take the name of the town as a
        surname.

        Milton E. Botwinick [professional genealogist]
        botwinick@... Philadelphia, PA
        http://members.aol.com/botwinick