Radoshkovich info

  • Botwinick
    Message 1 of 1 , May 27, 1998
      Date: Sun, May 24, 1998 12:15 EDT
      From: Botwinick
      Subj: Re: RADOSHKOWITZ
      To: 70401.1663@...
      cc: Botwinick

      i was in nypl years ago and saw information about the rado group in the jewish
      dept collection. i thought it was a landsmanschaft . if there is a syn
      with that name too it is unknown to me. please keep me informed. there is a
      rado yiskor bk out there

      yo sign on the rado grp and dont leave any personal info. if they insists on
      personal info just lie and you can keep your principals and join in the grp
      too

      miltB

      000000000000

      From: Botwinick <Botwinick@...>

      yes there is a copy of the rado yiskor book here in phila

      Subj: RADOSHKOWITZ
      Date: Sat, May 23, 1998 2:02 EDT
      From: 70401.1663@...
      Sender: 70401.1663@... (Bill Firestone)
      To: botwinick@... (Milton Botwinick)

      Milt,

      Saw your posting about Radoshkowitz. I don't like to subscribe to lists,
      especially electronic, that require personal info about me so I will skip
      that. But I will ask you the following:

      My grandparents, Wolf Feuerstein and Rose Rothbaum, both born in Romania,
      were married in Manhattan March 17, 1894. According to their marriage
      certificate, they were married by Eliakum Zunser, a noted poet and printer
      of his day [Encyclopedia Judaica]. For "official station," the certificate
      lists "Chevra Ohrach Chaim Anshe Radoshkowitz." I learned a number of
      years ago that that was a very small (orthodox, I think) congregation in
      Manhattan. Whether my family was associated with that congregation or
      whether Zunser was or.... I do not know.

      Do you happen to know anything about the Chevra Ohrach Chaim Anshe
      Radoshkowitz congregation? Where they might have had a burial society?

      Thanks.

      Bill
      Subj: Re: RADOSHKOWITZ
      Date: Sun, May 24, 1998 22:30 EDT
      From: 70401.1663@...
      Sender: 70401.1663@... (Bill Firestone)
      To: Botwinick@... (Botwinick)

      Milt,

      >i was in nypl years ago and saw information about the rado group in the
      jewish
      >dept collection. i thought it was a landsmanschaft . if there is a syn
      >with that name too it is unknown to me. please keep me informed.

      Hmmm... My info about the "congregation" was based on a phone call I made
      about five years ago to some Jewish organization in New York -- Manhattan,
      I think -- some rabbinical organization, I think. I don't recall
      specifically, but they looked up in a book the name I gave you and the book
      gave the specifics. I think it was an orthodox <somethng -- congregation,
      perhaps landsmanshaften> with 49 members (families? individuals?).

      That's all I know.

      Bill

      0000000000

      Subj: Re: RADOSHKOWITZ list announcement
      Date: Sat, May 23, 1998 11:58 EDT
      From: aneeman@...
      To: Botwinick@... (Botwinick)

      Hi,

      I am not a Radoshkevitz researcher but am interested in a story that goes

      in the family about Rabbi Yehuda Leib of RAdoshkevitz who was the Rabbi at

      Napoleon's wars time. The story was that one night Napoleon got to the

      place wet and ill. He went into the Rabbi's house and the family got him

      in, took care of him and got him better. They even gave one of their own

      blankets for his horse to warm the horse up.

      When he left he thanked the family, and gave them a box full of gold,

      asking what they will do with it and the Rabbi said it will be used to get

      one of his children to Eretz Israel.

      The family was hunted after that for helping Napoleon and wondered from

      place to place. Rabbi Yehuda Leib arrived to Jerusalem with his widoed

      daughter and baby granddaughter, using Napoleon's gold to do so.

      The granddaughter who grew up was a teacher in Jerusalem and her daughter

      was my grandaunt.

      I think I told you the story once. I am not going to join the new list,

      because I have no names or surnames for genealogical research. I would be

      grateful to you, though, if you let me know if there comes up any

      information about Napoleon in Radoshkevitz. I believe we were in touch once

      about that.

      Thank you so much,

      Aviva

      Aviva Neeman

      P.O. Box 48010

      TelAviv 61480 Israel

      Tel. +972-3-6992813, Fax. +972-3-6993852

      e-mail: aneeman@...

      ----------

      > From: Botwinick <Botwinick@...>

      > Subject: RADOSHKOWITZ list announcement

      > Date: eai ueue 22 iae 1998 19:12

      > Announcing the start of an automated RADOSHKOVITZ list and archives.

      > Unrestricted sign on, posting and registration. Rado is on the road

      > from Vilna to Minsk

      > list name/address is radoshkovitz list@onelist.com

      > To subscribe please visit the ONElist web site, at

      > http://www.onelist.com

      > Only subscribers can post messages to ONElist

      > lists. To subscribe to this list, go to the following web page:

      > http://www.onelist.com/subscribe.cgi/radoshkovitzlist

      > Devoted to the discussion and topics on the radoshkovitz in all it's

      > variations.

      > Milt Botwinick

      > Moderator

      > List owner

      > botwinick@...

      > -=-

      > mailto:Botwinick@...

      > -=-

      > JewishGen Web Site: <http://www.jewishgen.org>.

      > -=-

      -----------------------
      Subj: [radoshkovichlist] Re: Radoshkovich list
      Date: Mon, May 25, 1998 0:17 EDT
      From: radoshkovichlist@onelist.com
      To: radoshkovichlist@onelist.com

      From: geneal <geneal@...>

      You were right, taking out the blank in front of the town name
      corrected the problem.

      However I don't know why you went to this amount of trouble
      unless you are setting up a Radoshkovichi home page or a SIG to
      specialize in Radoshkovichi.

      At present neither Abe nor I has started any major research in
      Radoshkovichi or in Balarus in general.

      We know the our Great Grandfather SHEINHOUSE had seven
      children, six of whom came to the USA in the late 1800's. Abe
      and I represent two families and we have located a third and we
      are investigating a possible 4th but as yet we are not ready to
      start extensive investigation in Belarus.

      You mentioned that you were trying to obtain the yiskor book
      for Radoshkovichi. Were you successful?

      Please change you records so that all future E-mails are sent
      to the above new address.
      -------------------------------------
      Name: Stephen A. Cohen (JewishGen #12106)
      E-mail: <geneal@...>
      Fax: (516) 826-5056 (24 hrs)
      Date: 5/25/98 Time: 12:05:15 AM
      -------------------------------------
      I am researching the following families:

      Eisenkramer & Lefevre Germany:Rhineland Palatine
      Berlin
      East Prussia

      Basist Lith: Vilna or Vilnius
      Ukraine Kremenchug
      Cohen & Sheinhouse Belarus:Radoshkovichi
      Molodechno

      Birnbaum & Goldberg Poland: Krakow