THE DOPE ABOUT PASTOR ROBERT H. JOHNSON

  • tasmaniacannibal
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 25, 2008
      Pastor Robert H. Johnson and his brother Pastor Wallace Johnson used
      to be co-pastors at Verdun Pentecostal Church, 252 Gordon Street, in
      the Verdun borough of Montreal, at the time Pastor Johnson (Robert)
      also hosted two shows for many years on CKGM/980 kHz, namely, the
      two-hour "Ask the Pastor" show on Sunday nights, and "The Naked Truth"
      (a self-help, pop psychology, and issues show every morning, Monday
      through Friday. He also hosted a taped show featuring hymns and
      inspirational music and thoughts on Sunday mornings, on CKGM-FM/97.7
      MHz, CKGM's sister FM station (now CHOM).

      Then, due to overcrowding the building on Gordon was sold to the
      Prosvita Ukrainian Benevolent Society, and they had a new church house
      built in LaSalle, known as Trinity Pentecostal Church, at the corner
      of Bishop Power/Shevchenko and Champlain Blvd., next to the
      Australian-inspired St. John Br├ęboeuf Roman Catholic church.

      The program later moved on to CJAD and CFCF for brief periods of time.
      Then, it landed at CFOX/1470 where, for the first time, it featured
      commercials from King's Transfer Van Lines, although Jerry O'Donnell
      was rather reluctant in having commerciasls during the show; so, after
      a few weeks the commercials were dropped and Pastor Robert Johnson
      would simply "plug" Mr. O'Donnell's business once in a while during
      the show.

      Then, the show disappeared after Pastor Robert H. Johnson moved to
      Edmonton, AB, although for four or five years in a row he came back
      one Sunday night in December for his yearly Pastor Johnson Charitable
      Foundation Xmas Appel, to help poor families get Xmas hampers,
      clothes, fuel oil, etc.

      Then, Pastor Robert H. Johnson was last heard from at the time he
      accepted a pastorate in the state of California. As for his brother,
      Wallace, I honestly don't know whatever happened to him, and people I
      asked don't seem to know either.

      By the way, I may or may not have gotten stations mixed up: maybe he
      was on CKGM first and then on CFCF, or maybe it's the other way around.

      Peter J. Miller
    • rwynnycky
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 26, 2008
        Thanks for the dope, but you've left me wondering if the Pentecostalist
        congregation continued to grow (and, if so, presumably left their
        Bishop Power location for an even larger one), or if something caused a
        deflation in the congregation (patent pending :>} - perhaps pastor
        Johnson's departure - leading to the sale of the temple.
      • Neal Ford
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 8, 2008
          To the best of my knowledge , Trinity etecostal is still on Bishop
          Power in LaSalle. However, it may well be that other congregations may
          have spun off from them.

          I last spoke to pastor Johnston in the Summer of 2000 when I was still
          writing for Radio Digetst.com just before it went under... He was in
          california pastoring a church there, and no longer had a radio show.
          I did a write up on that conversation under "whatever happened to..."