SOAP newbie needs some help

  • Dave Seidel
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 27, 2001
      Hi folks,

      As part of my effort to learn SOAP, I'm trying to use Radio as a test bed.
      For example, in evaluating some of the existing toolkits, I want to write
      clients using Python (soaplib) and Perl (SOAP::Lite) that can access methods
      served up by my local Radio server. Eventually, I'd like to try it the
      other way 'round (use Radio as a client to access methods served up by my
      local Apache server.

      I'm quite new to Radio/Frontier, and am slowly figuring things out by
      groveling through Radio.root (and of course the materials on userland.com),
      but one very basic thing I haven't seen explained anywhere is: what URL can
      I use to get to the methods in Radio? For example, how do I get to
      getStateName()? I have Radio serving on port 8080, so in Python I tried

      import soaplib
      server = soaplib.ServerProxy("http://localhost:8080/examples")
      print server.getStateName(42)

      and I get back

      ([], [])

      or, a tuple of two empty lists.

      What am I doing wrong?

      - Dave

      --
      Dave Seidel
      Mindreef LLC
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 27, 2001
        Dave, first, this is exactly where I want people to focus, a SOAP client and
        server on desktops, so I will work with you personally to get you up the
        curve, producing samples and docs that route the newbie mind through the
        strange world of Radio.

        However, I am a total Python newbie. So I don't know how to answer your
        question. Perhaps someone else here can help. We also have a site,
        Python.Scripting.Com, where theoretically there are some Python minds tuned
        in.

        I have an idea of how to get this bootstrapped. I'm going to post a note on
        Scripting News now. I think this will be interesting.

        Dave

      • dave@mindreef.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 27, 2001
          Wow, what a response! Thanks, Dave. I'm really looking forward to
          this. I shoud mention that I'm doing this work on Win2K currently,
          but my eventual target is Linux. I should also mention that although
          my language of choice is Python, I'm certainly open to other
          languages (Perl, Java, C, C++, etc., in rough order of precedence),
          especially since we're talking about new toolkits with varying levels
          of maturity.

          I think I already have a clue about what's wrong: soaplib relies on
          Python's htmllib, which is is still only supporting HTTP 1.0, so that
          might be a factor if Radio is expecting HTTP 1.1.

          Geez, I'm a little stunned at seing my name in Scripting News...

          - Dave
        • Dave Winer
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 27, 2001
            Well, this is a button for me and you were the first to press it.

            Radio is doing HTTP 1.0 as far as I know.

            What software are you using on the Python end? Is it PythonWare's SOAPlib?

            http://www.pythonware.com/products/soap/

            Can you make a non-SOAP HTTP request from Python to Radio?

            Dave

          • dave@mindreef.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 27, 2001
              Yes, I'm using soaplib 0.8.

              I am able to get to Radio through straight HTTP, like so:

              import urllib
              doc = urllib.urlopen("http://localhost:8080/myUserland/")
              print doc.read()

              which prints out the source for my MyUserland home page.

              - Dave