Re: My Userland on the Blackberry (was Re: [radio-userland] Re: External programmatic access to RU?)

  • Jeremy Paul Bowers
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 21, 2001
      So, if I may translate Dave's Scripting News comment today, "Interesting idea,
      but what is it good for?" :-) So, a half-hearted defense (half-hearted because
      it's not like I'm really attached to the idea):

      First, Manila posting is obviously the "killer feature", and if that's all you
      really want, then a full responder is massive overkill. But I did sit down and
      think about what a responder would do that people might actually be interested
      in:

      - Synchronizing a mailing list and a discussion group. A responder could be set
      up to pick up, say, this message, which is going out on the mailing list but
      can't be seen in the DG, and post the contents into the DG, where we (or
      rather, the webmaster) control the data. (Actually, when you take this step,
      RU+Manila might as well run the whole shebang and skip eGroups entirely.)

      - News item routing. MUOTD is basically a system which takes in news in many
      formats (RSS, user entered, scriptingNews2.xml) and can output in many formats
      (RSS, manila website (I think?), RU weblog). I'm on several mailing lists with
      actual news and information (like CRYPTO-GRAM), and it might be nice to forward
      an e-mail item, edit it in my e-mail program, and post it by sending it to RU.
      Would definately fit into the MUOTD modus operandi. (Remotely adding channels
      was kinda silly, yes :-) )

      - Manila news item posting. More complicated then a straight story post.

      - Post to _RU weblog_, post to live outline, post to directory, post to
      upstreaming directory, as distinct from simply dumping a message to Manila.
      There are a lot of places we might e-mail something to (and the somewhat
      regrettable prevalence of firewalls makes this desirable) _other_ then a new
      Manila message, and it starts getting kludgy to add each of those in. Adding to
      a directory on a Manila site is particularly interesting, because it's
      extremely difficult for a normal user to add it by hand, as it involves
      editting OPML by hand in a textarea.

      - There are still a few commands you might concievably want to fire off in RU,
      even if it's on the wrong side of a firewall. Re-render something (weblog,
      etc.), esp. after an update. Start the music playing (esp. if you've got it set
      to stream automaticall), stop the music.

      A bit more fanciful:

      - Push updates. Rather the RU querying updates.userland.com,
      updates.userland.com mails the updates to those who want that. Might fix a
      future scaling issue.

      - Spam reply processing. Turn Radio Userland into the world's most powerful
      spam machine. Grab a list of e-mail addresses, start sending mail, and keep an
      eye on the reply box. When somebody replies, RU can automatically process the
      results, and since it checks every minute, you might actually get one of the
      replies before your mailbox is shut down. Automatically send people who reply
      with a remove request your spam on "How To Avoid Spam for just $19.95". Ask
      people to mail you their credit card info and have Radio Userland automatically
      order things from Amazon with that info. With the responder in place, it would
      be easy to make Radio Userland the most versatile spam mailer on the
      planet! Just imagine the pitch you could make on the front page of
      Radio.Userland.Com!

      Again, if none of these are compelling, and I really think that if nothing
      else, that spam bit really should have sold you :-) , then I totally agree the
      responder is overkill. I just thought I'd play devil's advocate for a bit. :-)

      - Jeremy Bowers jerf@... http://www.jerf.org -
      - http://irights.editthispage.com : -
      - * Eternal Vigilance is the Price of Freedom * -