RE: [radio-userland] Re: Groove to move outlines around

  • Scott Loftesness
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 21, 2001
      Dave,

      I'm just beginning (again) to try to use Groove. You can setup a shared
      file "space" into which files can be dropped by any participating user and
      broadcast to the other users. Unfortunately, as I understand it, Groove
      keeps all these files in encrypted form on the Windows file system. There's
      probably a way to 'export' them from the Groove space -- but I've not
      figured out how. In other words, I believe a bit of work in Groove would be
      required to expose the files in Windows file formats to make them accessible
      to RU.

      Still digging!

      Scott

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Julian Bond
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 21, 2001
        In article <1aa601c09c2f$cd893090$33a1dc40@murphy2>, Dave Winer
        <dave@...> writes
        >Is there no way to get Groove to distribute files between users?

        Oh, Yes. Just drop the file in the "Files" folder of a shared space.
        Some time later, the file auto-magically appears in that folder for
        everyone else in the space.

        Bear in mind, there's no file locking and anyone in the space can
        replace the shared copy. It's not a VCS. Probably.

        Think Lotus Notes meets ICQ. Current Groove tools include these with
        more coming from third parties
        - Discussion Forum
        - Shared Files
        - Mind Map brainstorming
        - Notepad
        - Outliner
        - Pictures
        - Chat
        - Voice over IP, one to one or conferenced
        - Sketchpad
        - Single or Group Browsing
        - Instant Message

        --
        Julian Bond eMail: julian@...
        HomeURL: http://www.shockwav.demon.co.uk/
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 21, 2001
          Scott, that's the key. If we can get Groove to maintain a folder or set of
          folders that Radio can watch, then when a new or updated file arrives, we
          can fold it into any Radio data structure we want. This is the bridge we
          want between the two worlds. The win for Radio users is privacy, the win for
          Groove is users. Dave

        • stutzbforked@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 21, 2001
            > Scott, that's the key. If we can get Groove to maintain a folder or
            set of
            > folders that Radio can watch, then when a new or updated file
            arrives, we
            > can fold it into any Radio data structure we want. This is the
            bridge we
            > want between the two worlds. The win for Radio users is privacy,
            the win for
            > Groove is users. Dave

            Dave, I believe that you should be able to use the Groove COM APIs to
            accomplish what you want - since Groove spaces are secure,
            you'll need to log in from your code, subscribe to change
            notifications, and stay logged in while you are listening, if I'm not
            mistaken.

            (Alternatively, I suppose that you could inject a tool of your own
            manufacture into Groove that pings Radio when changes
            happen...depends on whether you want Radio or Groove to be on top...)
          • Dave Winer
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 21, 2001
              Boy that sounds too complicated by an order of magnitude. Now I know how it
              must feel to be a user of one of our products waiting waiting for us to do
              the obvious thing. The problem with COM is that it won't work for Mac users.
              At least through the file system, if you have a PC on your LAN somewhere,
              you can have it run Groove and still be part of a workgroup from the Mac
              desktop. We have a special requirement that we at least try to include the
              Mac people in all our Rube Goldberg puzzles. ;-> Dave

              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 21, 2001
                Oooops, I'm having a Bad Hair Day. Obviously it would work, just put the
                copy of Radio on the same machine as Groove and drop the files in a folder,
                or transmit them via SOAP or XML-RPC (boy I'm getting tired of typing that)
                or Apple Events or whatever. I guess I'm just grouchy because I've never
                programmed COM in Frontier and I already know more about COM than I want to.
                Dave

              • rose@tele.dtu.dk
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 22, 2001
                  Has anyone considered using Magi for moving the outlines around in a controlled way? (http://www.endeavors.org/html/index.html). From their PR:
                  "Simply stated, MagiExpress is a personal Web server that allows users to easily store and retrieve information. A MagiExpress server restricts who has access to download and view files using a buddy list . Users can share and synchronize information on their own desktop, laptop, or palmtop using a MagiExpress server from anywhere as if it were a local directory."

                  It looks like there will be some work involved in adding SOAP/XML-RPC on the Magi end (http://www.endeavors.org/html/faq.html ), but it's open source and multiplatform - though I have to admit I haven't figured out how they've divided the open part from the commercial product yet.

                  I haven't tried it yet - I've been living a foolhardy experiment in seeing how productive I can be in a pure MacOSX environment :).

                  Michael