A new message was posted:
By: Kirsten (klr818@...
I hope it's not inappropriate to mention competitors on this forum. If so, let me know.
I'm looking for user-friendly web publishing software to help me set up a medical information site that can be frequently updated. The format will be less like a standard blog than a collection of essays and tutorials, with new essays added on every few days and collected in clearly labeled archives. I have seen many sites in this format that use weblog software, some of them Radio Userland, some Movable Type.
Movable Type is coming out with a new service, TypePad, which will use the basic Movable Type software, but also include options like built-in web hosting, which Radio UserLand has. So now I don't know which to use. I've read the FAQ, the basic Radio UserLand information, and searched as much as this search function will allow. I see that many members on this forum previously maintained sites with Movable Type. If so, what made you switch?
I'm trying to compare the two based on, among other things:
* How easy it is to set up
* How easy it is to use, once set up
* If ongoing maintenance ends up being a real pain
* If the server is reliable (if web hosting is included)
* If you can make the site look original/aesthetic without knowing too much HTML
* If the technical support is speedy and reliable
* Any other issues I'm too inexperienced to think of, but you want to warn me about.
Price doesn't mattter to me, not in the low range we're talking about here. I just want the software to do what I want without making me want to kill it, myself, or any innocent bystanders.
Many thanks for any insights you want to share.
This is a Manila site.. http://manila.userland.com/.