New Message: Radio UserLand, or Movable Type?

  • notify@userland.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2003
      A new message was posted:

      Address: http://radio.userland.com/discuss/msgReader$25317

      By: Kirsten (klr818@...)

      Hello,

      I hope it's not inappropriate to mention competitors on this forum. If so, let me know.

      I'm looking for user-friendly web publishing software to help me set up a medical information site that can be frequently updated. The format will be less like a standard blog than a collection of essays and tutorials, with new essays added on every few days and collected in clearly labeled archives. I have seen many sites in this format that use weblog software, some of them Radio Userland, some Movable Type.

      Movable Type is coming out with a new service, TypePad, which will use the basic Movable Type software, but also include options like built-in web hosting, which Radio UserLand has. So now I don't know which to use. I've read the FAQ, the basic Radio UserLand information, and searched as much as this search function will allow. I see that many members on this forum previously maintained sites with Movable Type. If so, what made you switch?

      I'm trying to compare the two based on, among other things:

      * How easy it is to set up
      * How easy it is to use, once set up
      * If ongoing maintenance ends up being a real pain
      * If the server is reliable (if web hosting is included)
      * If you can make the site look original/aesthetic without knowing too much HTML
      * If the technical support is speedy and reliable
      * Any other issues I'm too inexperienced to think of, but you want to warn me about.

      Price doesn't mattter to me, not in the low range we're talking about here. I just want the software to do what I want without making me want to kill it, myself, or any innocent bystanders.

      Many thanks for any insights you want to share.

      This is a Manila site.. http://manila.userland.com/.