Re: Updated: Radio 8.1 Upstreaming Beta

  • Peter Breuls
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 22, 2005
      I think he's running the My Pictures tool:
      http://radio.userland.com/userGuide/reference/tools/myPicturesTool

      It does exactly that: watch a folder and move every image that's
      dropped there into the www/images/YYYY/MM/DD folder.

      Peter

      --- In radio-dev@yahoogroups.com, Steve Kirks <steve.kirks@g...> wrote:
      > Radio upstream folder--do you mean the 'www/images' folder? Do you
      > have a custom script or tool that moves images into date-based
      > folders?
      >
      > Steve
      >

      > On 6/22/05, jaksonofjack <iJak@m...> wrote:
      > > .
      > >
      > > Well Lawrence,
      > >
      > > Thank you for the work. ...
      > >
      > > As of now I have installed the update, and my streaming seems to
      mostly
      > > work for the
      > > normally scheduled upstream files, like the .opml files. ...
      > >
      > > I was interested in upstreaming images, so I tried that first. It
      did not
      > > work.
      > > What normally happens is that I place an image in the Radio Upstream
      > > folder, that images
      > > gets moved into a date heirachy of the images folder in the www
      folder. ...

      > > Excuse me. I thought it did not work at all, but it just took 30
      minutes
      > > for the image to
      > > upstream, and then open the Home page with the image html in place.
      > >
      > > I have placed another image in the upstream folder and am now
      waiting to
      > > see what
      > > happens.
      > > I have waited about 15 minutes since I placed the image in the
      folder. ...
      > > It has not yet
      > > upstreamed and updated the home page.
      > >
      > > Good night, I will revisit this tomorrow.
      > > Jack
      > >

      > > --- In radio-dev@yahoogroups.com, Lawrence Lee <lawrence@u...> wrote:
      > > > We made some changes to the upstreaming in Radio, adding some
      new scan
      > > > intervals for different folders. This reduces the load that
      Radio places
      > > on
      > > > the processor during each scan.
      > > >
      > > > *** New callbacks
      > > >
      > > > We also added 3 user callbacks, to accomodate 2 new projects, the
      > > Markdown
      > > > Tool and the Radio Factory
      > > >
      > > > user.radio.callbacks.adminMenu - called from radio.macros.adminMenu
      > > >
      > > > user.radio.callbacks.renderItem - called from
      > > radio.macros.weblogRecentPosts
      > > > and radio.trackback.ping
      > > >
      > > > user.radio.callbacks.renderStory - called from
      > > radio.webserver.buildPage
      > > >
      > > > *** How do I install it?
      > > >
      > > > Important: Quit Radio and backup the entire Radio UserLand
      folder. This
      > > is
      > > > good practice before installing any beta software or tools.
      > > >
      > > > 1. Download this file and save it to disk:
      > > >

      > > http://lawrence.userland.com/radioParts/upstreamingBeta08.fttb
      > > >
      > > > 2. Import the beta parts into Radio using the Open command in
      Radio's
      > > File
      > > > menu.
      > > >
      > > > 3. In the QuickScript window (Ctrl-;), run the following script:
      > > >
      > > > workspace.upstreamingBeta08.installer ()
      > > >
      > > > If you need to remove the beta parts, you can run the following
      command
      > > in a
      > > > QuickScript command to restore the original parts (prior to
      installing of
      > > > the beta parts):
      > > >
      > > > workspace.upstreamingBeta08.installer (false)

      > --
      > Steve Kirks
      > Product Manager, Radio UserLand
      > http://steve.userland.com/
    • Jack Foster Mancilla
      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 22, 2005
        .

        Hello

        THAT IS CORRECT. ...

        The My Pictures tool that David created quite a while ago.

        Jack

        On Jun 22, 2005, at 6:26 AM, Peter Breuls wrote:

        I think he's running the My Pictures tool:
        http://radio.userland.com/userGuide/reference/tools/myPicturesTool

        It does exactly that: watch a folder and move every image that's
        dropped there into the www/images/YYYY/MM/DD folder.

        Peter

        --- In radio-dev@yahoogroups.com, Steve Kirks <steve.kirks@g...> wrote:
        > Radio upstream folder--do you mean the 'www/images' folder?  Do you
        > have a custom script or tool that moves images into date-based
        > folders?
        >
        > Steve
        >

        > On 6/22/05, jaksonofjack <iJak@m...> wrote:
        > >  .
        > >
        > >  Well Lawrence,
        > >
        > >  Thank you for the work. ...
        > >
        > >  As of now I have installed the update, and my streaming seems to
        mostly
        > > work for the
        > >  normally scheduled upstream files, like the .opml files. ...
        > >
        > >  I was interested in upstreaming images, so I tried that first. It
        did not
        > > work.
        > >  What normally happens is that I place an image in the Radio Upstream
        > > folder, that images
        > >  gets moved into a date heirachy of the images folder in the www
        folder. ...

        > >  Excuse me. I thought it did not work at all, but it just took 30
        minutes
        > > for the image to
        > >  upstream, and then open the Home page with the image html in place.
        > >
        > >  I have placed another image in the upstream folder and am now
        waiting to
        > > see what
        > >  happens.

      • Marc Barrot
        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 23, 2005
          --- In radio-dev@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Breuls" <breuls@c...> wrote:
          > I think he's running the My Pictures tool:
          > It does exactly that: watch a folder and move every image that's
          > dropped there into the www/images/YYYY/MM/DD folder.

          Ok, so the upstreaming code is behaving exactly as expected :-)

          Under the new upstreaming scheme, any 'special' folder under Radio's
          root 'www' folder is scanned for upstreaming once an hour. I suppose
          David built an upstream driver in the myPicture tool that takes care
          of the folder watching.

          We've already built some limited support for My Pictures style image
          management: once the images are moved into the Year / Month folders
          hierarchy, they are upstreamed with the same timing as regular posts.

          Refer to the upstreaming preferences page
          http://127.0.0.1:5335/system/pages/prefs?page=1.4 for a detailed schedule.

          What is missing is proper support for the upstreaming of My Pictures'
          'special' folder.

          We have provided for this need through a new upstreaming callback
          script in user.radio.callbacks.upstreamScanFolder. David should update
          My Pictures to place in that table the address of a script that
          determines when the folder whose upstreaming cache table address was
          passed as a parameter should upstream.

          I wrote such a script for activeRenderer 2.5.2, so that aR's importing
          mechanism kept triggering every 5 minutes. All upstreamScanFolder
          callback scripts are called every 10 seconds.

          I'll place the activeRender upstreamScanFolder script in the Files
          section of this group, to serve as a template.

          David, if you're still browsing this list, get in touch with me
          please. If you are not, I guess I'll try to unearth your email address
          from my archives, it's been quite a while :-)

          Jack, for now, if you tell us the complete pathname for your My
          Pictures 'special' folder, I can send you a quick fix.

          Cheers

          Marc
        • jaksonofjack
          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 23, 2005
            .

            Hello,

            The unix representation of the path is...
            "~/Pictures/Radio\ Upstream"

            The full HFS path is...
            Nemisis:Users:jack:Pictures:Radio Upstream:

            This location of the Radio Upstream folder is Dave's suggested location for the folder
            under Mac OSX. I forget the location for windows machines.

            Dave's code does take the images and move them into the proper heirarchy in the images
            folder every minute. ... My www/images folder has quite a few images in it, more images
            in there than posts in the other folders. ... The entire heirarchy ot the images folder need
            not be scanned, just the newest folder. ... Perhaps there should be a mechanism for the
            action of publishing, or the adding of an image to the Radio Upstream folder, or future
            tools that handel other media types, to make a data entry into an upstreamTable. The
            table gets scanned, and whatever data is in the table gets upstreamed, and removed from
            the table. ...

            Jack

            --- In radio-dev@yahoogroups.com, "Marc Barrot" <marc@p...> wrote:
            > --- In radio-dev@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Breuls" <breuls@c...> wrote:
            > > I think he's running the My Pictures tool:
            > > It does exactly that: watch a folder and move every image that's
            > > dropped there into the www/images/YYYY/MM/DD folder.
            >
            > Ok, so the upstreaming code is behaving exactly as expected :-)
            >
            > Under the new upstreaming scheme, any 'special' folder under Radio's
            > root 'www' folder is scanned for upstreaming once an hour. I suppose
            > David built an upstream driver in the myPicture tool that takes care
            > of the folder watching.
            >
            > We've already built some limited support for My Pictures style image
            > management: once the images are moved into the Year / Month folders
            > hierarchy, they are upstreamed with the same timing as regular posts.
            >
            > Refer to the upstreaming preferences page
            > http://127.0.0.1:5335/system/pages/prefs?page=1.4 for a detailed schedule.
            >
            > What is missing is proper support for the upstreaming of My Pictures'
            > 'special' folder.
            >
            > We have provided for this need through a new upstreaming callback
            > script in user.radio.callbacks.upstreamScanFolder. David should update
            > My Pictures to place in that table the address of a script that
            > determines when the folder whose upstreaming cache table address was
            > passed as a parameter should upstream.
            >
            > I wrote such a script for activeRenderer 2.5.2, so that aR's importing
            > mechanism kept triggering every 5 minutes. All upstreamScanFolder
            > callback scripts are called every 10 seconds.
            >
            > I'll place the activeRender upstreamScanFolder script in the Files
            > section of this group, to serve as a template.
            >
            > David, if you're still browsing this list, get in touch with me
            > please. If you are not, I guess I'll try to unearth your email address
            > from my archives, it's been quite a while :-)
            >
            > Jack, for now, if you tell us the complete pathname for your My
            > Pictures 'special' folder, I can send you a quick fix.
            >
            > Cheers
            >
            > Marc
          • Matt Mower
            Message 5 of 23 , Jun 23, 2005
              On 6/23/05, Marc Barrot <marc@...> wrote:
              > --- In radio-dev@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Breuls" <breuls@c...> wrote:
              > > I think he's running the My Pictures tool:
              > > It does exactly that: watch a folder and move every image that's
              > > dropped there into the www/images/YYYY/MM/DD folder.
              >
              > We have provided for this need through a new upstreaming callback
              > script in user.radio.callbacks.upstreamScanFolder. David should update
              > My Pictures to place in that table the address of a script that
              > determines when the folder whose upstreaming cache table address was
              > passed as a parameter should upstream.

              I can't help thinking this would be more conveniently handled by
              (perhaps additionally handled as) a line in the #prefs.txt file.

              Matt Mower :: http://matt.blogs.it/
            • Marc Barrot
              Message 6 of 23 , Jun 23, 2005
                > The full HFS path is...
                > Nemisis:Users:jack:Pictures:Radio Upstream:
                > This location of the Radio Upstream folder is Dave's suggested
                > location for the folder under Mac OSX.
                > I forget the location for windows machines.

                Ok, so it appears I was wrong on 2 counts:

                1. We are not dealing with David Davies' assetManager tool
                (http://david.davies.name/weblog/stories/2003/02/26/assetmanagerTool.html,
                I just checked) but with Dave Winer's
                myPicturesTool, still distributed by Userland at
                http://radio.userland.com/userGuide/reference/tools/myPicturesTool.

                2. According to the above page, this tool uses a completely different
                scheme to watch over the special 'Radio Upstream' folder every *5
                seconds* (Yikes!). This 'Radio Usptream' folder is located outside of
                Radio's 'www' upstreaming hierarchy.

                I'll look into a copy of myPicturesTool when I'm finished with
                activeRenderer 2.5.3, to get more direct information about how the
                'watching' works, and whether it's broken by the new upstreaming scheme.

                In the meantime, please keep testing :-)

                Marc
              • Marc Barrot
                Message 7 of 23 , Jun 23, 2005
                  --- In radio-dev@yahoogroups.com, Matt Mower <matt.mower@g...> wrote:
                  > I can't help thinking this would be more conveniently handled by
                  > (perhaps additionally handled as) a line in the #prefs.txt file.

                  Interesting thought. Our main object here is speed and load though...
                  Checking a #prefs.txt file as a background activity is resource
                  intensive.

                  Matt, can you elaborate a bit ? Maybe outline how you would see this
                  new pref working ?

                  Cheers

                  Marc
                • Matt Mower
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jun 23, 2005
                    On 6/23/05, Marc Barrot <marc@...> wrote:
                    > Matt, can you elaborate a bit ? Maybe outline how you would see this
                    > new pref working ?

                    There wasn't a lot of thought behind it. I just thought that, if a
                    user wants to change the default for a folder, messing about with
                    tables & callbacks isn't ideal.

                    Message 9 of 23 , Jun 23, 2005
                      --- In radio-dev@yahoogroups.com, Matt Mower <matt.mower@g...> wrote:
                      > There wasn't a lot of thought behind it. I just thought that, if a
                      > user wants to change the default for a folder, messing about with
                      > tables & callbacks isn't ideal.

                      Ok, the short answer is: if you are a Radio user, you don't want to
                      change the upstreaming mechanism, it's too delicate.

                      When a Usertalk developer needs to do so, he should use the callback
                      mechanism. We will document it fully when the upstreaming beta makes
                      it into the main distribution. There's already some info in the readme
                      part of the beta installer.

                      BTW, remember this ? I didn't :-)

                      Cheers

                      Marc
                    • Matt Mower
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jun 23, 2005
                        On 6/23/05, Marc Barrot <marc@...> wrote:
                        > --- In radio-dev@yahoogroups.com, Matt Mower <matt.mower@g...> wrote:
                        > > There wasn't a lot of thought behind it. I just thought that, if a
                        > > user wants to change the default for a folder, messing about with
                        > > tables & callbacks isn't ideal.
                        >
                        > Ok, the short answer is: if you are a Radio user, you don't want to
                        > change the upstreaming mechanism, it's too delicate.

                        Maybe I misunderstood. I thought this was about varying the period
                        between upstreaming checks, no? So my suggestion was that, if a user
                        wanted (for whatever reason) a specific folder to have a different
                        interval, adding a #prefs.txt entry should be a whole lot more
                        palatable than fiddling with Usertalk or the db.

                        Maybe i'm barking up the wrong tree though?

                        > BTW, remember this ? I didn't :-)

                        It might as well have been someone else for all I remember of the
                        incident. I have to say that, since I stopped treating Radio as a
                        developer tool and just use it to write posts, I've had less problems.

                        Message 11 of 23 , Jun 23, 2005
                          --- In radio-dev@yahoogroups.com, Matt Mower <matt.mower@g...> wrote:
                          > Maybe i'm barking up the wrong tree though?

                          Ok, here is the long answer:

                          Your idea makes sense from a (power)user experience point of view,
                          assuming he/she knows how to play with prefs files.

                          However, I don't see how we can implement it while keeping as light a
                          background load on the CPU and filesystem as possible, which is the
                          whole purpose of this update.

                          I'm curious though. If someone wants to look into it, he is more than
                          welcome.

                          Marc
                        • Matt Mower
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jun 23, 2005
                            On 6/23/05, Marc Barrot <marc@...> wrote:
                            > --- In radio-dev@yahoogroups.com, Matt Mower <matt.mower@g...> wrote:
                            > However, I don't see how we can implement it while keeping as light a
                            > background load on the CPU and filesystem as possible, which is the
                            > whole purpose of this update.

                            That sounds very reasonable. I was just musing out loud.

                            Matt Mower :: http://matt.blogs.it/
                          • Andy Fragen
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jun 23, 2005
                              Steve,

                              I think it's the myPictures tool that does the date based folder thing.

                              --
                              Andy Fragen

                            • Andy Fragen
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jun 23, 2005
                                Marc,

                                I think you're getting your Dave's and David's confused.

                                Dave Winer wrote myPictures.root
                                David Davies wrote assetManager.root

                                Andy

                                --