My background.everyHour script doesn't seem to run

  • Matt Mower
    Message 1 of 4 , May 10 1:47 PM
      Hi,

      In one my tools I have a simple background.everyHour script which
      doesn't seem to be run. I've confirmed that it is listed in
      user.scheduler.hourly. In fact I'm not sure any of the background
      scripts are run.

      To test this out I tried to debug:

      system.verbs.builtins.scheduler.doHourlyTasks

      However this script blows up with an error:

      Can't find a sub-table named "taskInfo".

      At the line:

      new (tabletype, @...)

      And indeed I can't see where the "taskInfo" variable is springing from.

      On the other hand this code doesn't appear to have been modified since
      1998 and I'm prepared to bet someone would have noticed if background
      tasks hadn't been working for 7 years.

      Can anyone help me with this?

      Matt Mower :: http://matt.blogs.it/
    • Patrick Ritchie
      Message 2 of 4 , May 10 3:00 PM
        Hey Matt,

        You can't run system.verbs.builtins.scheduler.doHourlyTasks manually,
        it needs to be called by system.verbs.builtins.scheduler.monitor which
        sets up some globals.

        Specifically taskInfo is a sub-table of logtable...

        If you set user.scheduler.prefs.keepLog to true you should get some
        information about why your everyHour script is not being run...

        Cheers!
        Patrick

        Message 3 of 4 , May 10 3:25 PM
          Slight correction to below, if you want to run doHourlyTask manually
          you have to setup the global tables it expects first.

          If you want to debug this way, use scheduler.monitor as a guide on how
          to set things up.

          Cheers!
          Patrick

          Message 4 of 4 , May 12 2:33 PM
            Hi Patrick

            On 5/10/05, Patrick Ritchie <flashblade@...> wrote:
            > Slight correction to below, if you want to run doHourlyTask manually
            > you have to setup the global tables it expects first.

            Thanks for that. It turns out I had a problem in my background script
            but confusingly it didn't error and, for some reason, although I put a
            msg() in the scheduler.monitor script it didn't appear leading me to
            believe that background script execution had stopped.

            It's all working well now thanks.

            Matt Mower :: http://matt.blogs.it/