Re: Beta: Optimized Upstreaming in Radio 8.1

  • iceplantradio
    Message 1 of 21 , May 3, 2005
      > Send an email to the radio-dev list letting us know that it worked, or if it
      > didn't work, what happened.

      I guess I should test it some more beforing repying but I just wanted to say that I'm back
      from Mexico, looking forward to diving back into Radio stuff, have installed this beta and am
      excited about the work being done in this area.

      Having said that, my initial 1/2 hour with this beta installed shows no apparent difference in
      Activity Monitor. Radio goes from 5% usage to ~65% usage avery five or so seconds while
      idle. When I post, it gets to 70% for about 10 seconds then right back into the up/down
      routine.

      I must admit, other than that, I really don't know what I'm looking for to best help out with
      this beta. Radio "feels" exactly the same to me even after applying this beta.
    • Steve Kirks
      Message 2 of 21 , May 3, 2005
        Donovan:

        Just to make sure it's installed, can you check to see if the
        Upstreaming pref page is titled "Upstreaming Beta"?

        Steve

        On 5/3/05, iceplantradio <d@...> wrote:
        > > Send an email to the radio-dev list letting us know that it worked, or if
        > it
        > > didn't work, what happened.
        >
        > I guess I should test it some more beforing repying but I just wanted to
        > say that I'm back
        > from Mexico, looking forward to diving back into Radio stuff, have
        > installed this beta and am
        > excited about the work being done in this area.
        >
        > Having said that, my initial 1/2 hour with this beta installed shows no
        > apparent difference in
        > Activity Monitor. Radio goes from 5% usage to ~65% usage avery five or so
        > seconds while
        > idle. When I post, it gets to 70% for about 10 seconds then right back into
        > the up/down
        > routine.
        >
        > I must admit, other than that, I really don't know what I'm looking for to
        > best help out with
        > this beta. Radio "feels" exactly the same to me even after applying this
        > beta.

        Steve Kirks
        Product Manager, Radio UserLand
        http://steve.userland.com/
      • iceplantradio
        Message 3 of 21 , May 3, 2005
          Steve, that's what the title says. "Upstreaming Beta"

          --- In radio-dev@yahoogroups.com, Steve Kirks <steve.kirks@g...> wrote:
          > Donovan:
          >
          > Just to make sure it's installed, can you check to see if the
          > Upstreaming pref page is titled "Upstreaming Beta"?
          >
          > Steve
          >
          > On 5/3/05, iceplantradio <d@...> wrote:
          > > > Send an email to the radio-dev list letting us know that it worked, or if
          > > it
          > > > didn't work, what happened.
          > >
          > > I guess I should test it some more beforing repying but I just wanted to
          > > say that I'm back
          > > from Mexico, looking forward to diving back into Radio stuff, have
          > > installed this beta and am
          > > excited about the work being done in this area.
          > >
          > > Having said that, my initial 1/2 hour with this beta installed shows no
          > > apparent difference in
          > > Activity Monitor. Radio goes from 5% usage to ~65% usage avery five or so
          > > seconds while
          > > idle. When I post, it gets to 70% for about 10 seconds then right back into
          > > the up/down
          > > routine.
          > >
          > > I must admit, other than that, I really don't know what I'm looking for to
          > > best help out with
          > > this beta. Radio "feels" exactly the same to me even after applying this
          > > beta.

          > --
          > Steve Kirks
          > Product Manager, Radio UserLand
          > http://steve.userland.com/
        • Marc Barrot
          Message 4 of 21 , May 4, 2005
            Ok, here is what to look for when evaluating the upstreaming beta:

            You need to monitor CPU activity by using the Activity Monitor utility
            under MacOS X or the Task Manager under Windows 2K/XP.

            Activity Monitor lives under the Utilities subfolder of your Mac's
            Applications folder.

            To launch Task Manager under Windows, simply press ctl-alt-del once,
            then click the Task Manager button and look at the CPU usage history
            graph under the Performance tab.

            *Before* installing the beta, look at your CPU load graph over a
            period of 2 minutes, first while Radio is *not* running, then with
            Radio running and idle with upstreaming turned on (the default).

            When you have a clearly identiable pattern in both cases, instal the
            beta, then study the CPU load graph while Radio is running and idle.

            Please report your findings in this thread, don't forget to tell us
            what system you are running Radio on.

            Thanks

            Marc
          • Marc Barrot
            Message 5 of 21 , May 4, 2005
              --- In radio-dev@yahoogroups.com, "Marc Barrot" <marc@p...> wrote:
              > Please report your findings in this thread, don't forget to tell us
              > what system you are running Radio on.

              For instance, on my MacOS X laptop, average CPU load when Radio is not
              running, and system is idle is very low: CPU is around 80% idle. I
              usually have Firefox running, plus MS Entourage and iChat, all idle.

              When Radio is running and idle without the upstreaming update, Radio
              takes between 15 and 85% of the CPU activity, averaging around 70% for
              stretches of close to 20 seconds.

              With the upstreaming beta installed, there is a peak of Radio activity
              (70%) every 10 seconds, for about 1 second or so. One in six of these
              peaks is slightly longer. Radio takes between 5 and 15% of CPU load
              between peaks. This is a certifiable improvement.

              Marc
            • Andy Fragen
              Message 6 of 21 , May 4, 2005
                In `top`, Radio spikes to 50-65% every 10 sec or so with the remaining
                time spent under 10%. If I have another process using lots of CPU I only
                get spikes in the 30's.

                --
                Andy Fragen
                PBG4 1.33GHz/1.25GB RAM - OS X 10.4

                Message 7 of 21 , May 4, 2005
                  Bug:

                  What I did: With a clean copy of Radio 8.1 on MacOS X, I created a
                  new empty folder called "customerDemo" in the root of the www folder.

                  What happened: Folder not upstreamed.

                  What I expect: new empty folder to be created on server.

                  Upstream error message: Can't upstream because "The file
                  “customerDemo” wasn’t found."
                  ----Note that that quotes are put there by Radio, not me.

                  I noticed some odd things when I stepped through the code using the
                  following method:

                  1. Opened radio.upstream.uploadChangedFiles in debug mode. Added a
                  command to create a new folder at the root of the www folder called
                  "customerDemo".
                  2. Stepped "in" to the script.
                  3. In the code bundle labeled "pass 1", I stepped to the folderloop
                  command at the bottom of the bundle.
                  4. Stepped "in" to the folderloop subroutine.
                  5. At this point, "f" was equal to "www". Note: there is no test
                  for invisible or "dot" files inside the "fileloop" inside of the
                  folderloop routine. That needs to be changed to prevent
                  file.modified from running against useless files.
                  6. Scan continues to loop correctly for all files and folders in the
                  www directory until we reach "customerDemo"--the empty folder.
                  7. When "f" equalled the empty folder, I stepped "in" to the
                  callback at radio.upstream.callbacks.upstream.upstreamScanFolder.

                  I stepped through that script and got the following results when
                  f="www/customerDemo"

                  8. requestScan correctly returned false
                  9. isSpecDefined correctly returned false
                  10. The if statement "if defined (adrFolder^.upstream.upstreamType)"
                  correctly evaluates
                  11. The created folder is assigned "custom" type and the script
                  returns true and returns back to radio.upstream.uploadChangedFiles

                  Here's where it loses me--my brain got full and I forgot to turn off
                  upstreaming, so in the background, Radio processed the file.
                  flScanNeeded ends up false yet the upstreaming code is trying to
                  upload a folder like a file. I'm sure the bug has something to do
                  with the fact that it's a new empty folder. Can someone else with a
                  brain less full take it from here?

                  Steve
                • iceplantradio
                  Message 8 of 21 , May 4, 2005
                    My findings:

                    On my MacOS X laptop (PowerBook G4 800MHz), average CPU load when Radio is not
                    running, and system is idle the CPU is around 80% idle. I usually have Safari running, plus
                    Mail, DayLite, NNW, Path Finder, TextMate and iChat, all idle.

                    When Radio is running and idle without the upstreaming update, Radio takes between 5 and
                    65% of the CPU activity, averaging around 60% for stretches of close to 8 seconds.

                    With the upstreaming beta installed, there is a peak of Radio activity (45%) every 5 seconds,
                    for about 15 seconds or so. Most of the peaks look about the same but it does seem to dip
                    down to the 16% and 30% area for a second or so during this peak time. Radio takes between
                    5 and 10% of CPU load between peaks.
                  • Marc Barrot
                    Message 9 of 21 , May 4, 2005
                      I'm not sure what Steve expects is the standard procedure: I think
                      'empty' folders should not be upstreamed at all. They are created on
                      the public site when some of their content is actually in need of
                      upstreaming, that is when they are no longer empty.

                      In any event, I've disabled upstreaming on my test Radio installation,
                      created an empty '_testFolder' folder under www, then single-stepped
                      through the revised radio.upstream.uploadChangedFiles code.

                      Warning, this is getting hard to follow if you don't have Radio
                      running and can look at the relevent parts yourself :-)

                      First bizarre discovery: the 'www' entry in the
                      user.radio.settings.files cache table has an upstream.upstreamType
                      attribute set to 'archive' on my test system. This should never happen
                      under normal circumstances: the correct value is 'root'. It could be a
                      result of my previous debuggging runs though the code revisions
                      phases. More on that subject later. For now I just deleted the
                      upstream.upstreamType attribute and started over.

                      I concur with Steve: in the inner fileloop of uploadChangedFiles,
                      there should be a test to simply skip 'un-upstreamable' files, that is
                      files with names starting with the '#' character.

                      I think a valid optimization would be to move the battery of tests
                      that execute in the 'true' branch of the 'if flupstream' test to the
                      top of the fileloop, adding a test to avoid files atarting with '#'.

                      Second possible bug cause: file names longer than (or just) 32
                      characters long. The second file in my test 'www' folder is
                      '#desktopWebsiteTemplate copy.txt'. Its path, converted to a string as
                      returned by the inner fileloop reads 'Data:Marc:Radio
                      UserLand:www:#desktopWebsiteTemplat#744F.txt'. I don't know where this
                      is coming from, but it's apparently a Frontier kernel related problem
                      under MacOS X. I'll look into the fileloop C source later.

                      Back to single-stepping: The inner fileloop correctly identifies
                      'Data:Marc:Radio UserLand:www:_testFolder:' as a folder and dives in.

                      It creates a new matching entry in the user.radio.settings.files cache
                      table, and initiates the 'flScanNeeded' attribute to 'true', which is
                      normal since this is the first ever detection of _testFolder, and
                      flScanNeeded was never previously defined.

                      It then forges on to call all the 'upstreamScanFolder' scripts. In
                      this case, this is stupid since we already know that _testFolder needs
                      scanning, we've just set its flScanNeeded cached attribute to 'true'.
                      There is an obvious optimization there.

                      Nonetheless, during that unnecessary run through the
                      radio.upstream.callbacks.upstream.upstreamScanFolder code, it
                      correctly identifies that folder as a 'custom' folder, and sets its
                      upstream.upstreamType attribute to 'custom' in the cache.

                      But since there is no last upstream time to compare the current time
                      with, the code resets the flScanNeeded to false. What was an incentive
                      for optimization is now a certified bug: it means that the next run
                      through _testFolder's content won't happen for another 60 minutes (the
                      custom delay), even though this is a newly created folder which
                      content needs scanning right now.

                      Apart from the problems described above, everything runs as expected,
                      no upstreaming is attempted, and no error message generated.

                      Now on to a second run, more than 1 hour later to overcome the 60
                      minutes 'custom' folder delay.

                      When encountering _testFolder, uploadChangedFiles calls
                      upstreamScanFolder, which correctly sets flScanNeeded from its
                      previous 'false' value to 'true' when it detects a cached upstreamType
                      attribute of 'custom' and over a 1 hour time delay since last scan.

                      uploadChangedFiles then calls all the user defined callback scripts,
                      should they exist, which is unnecessary since we already know that its
                      content should be scanned: another possible optimization (and cause of
                      possible user generated bugs) there.

                      Otherwise, nothing remarkable happens. The folder's content is empty,
                      no upstreaming is requested, and everything else looks fine.

                      Upon further inquiry, the improper 'archive' upstreamType value cached
                      for the 'www' folder was a product of the development cycle on my
                      system, it now remains properly cached as 'root'.

                      To wrap-up Steve's test case, I think I should eventually:

                      1/ optimize the tests in uploadChangedFiles' inner fileloop to skip
                      all non-upstreamable files as soon as possible.

                      2/ avoid calling upstreamScanFolder when the flScanNeeded attribute is
                      already set to 'true'.

                      3/ avoid trying to call user defined callbacks if flScanNeeded is set
                      to 'true'.

                      I won't make modifications to a potential beta06 till I've had more
                      feedback from the current version.

                      Marc

                      PS: upon re-reading this post, anyone able to read and follow it from
                      start to finish is a hero :-)
                    • Steve Kirks
                      Message 10 of 21 , May 4, 2005
                        All:

                        Marc is right...

                        > I'm not sure what Steve expects is the standard procedure: I think
                        > 'empty' folders should not be upstreamed at all. They are created on
                        > the public site when some of their content is actually in need of
                        > upstreaming, that is when they are no longer empty.

                        I tested with old code and new (thanks, installer!) and in the old
                        code, the empty folder is skipped. In the new code, an error is
                        thrown as previously described. Looks like something is buggy...

                        > In any event, I've disabled upstreaming on my test Radio installation,
                        > created an empty '_testFolder' folder under www, then single-stepped
                        > through the revised radio.upstream.uploadChangedFiles
                        > code.
                        >
                        > Warning, this is getting hard to follow if you don't have Radio
                        > running and can look at the relevent parts yourself :-)

                        I followed along with the rest of your email and agree--it's easy to
                        step through it but hard to write about it. I learned more about the
                        code writing the email then I expected.

                        > I concur with Steve: in the inner fileloop of uploadChangedFiles,
                        > there should be a test to simply skip 'un-upstreamable' files, that is
                        > files with names starting with the '#' character.
                        >
                        > I think a valid optimization would be to move the battery of tests
                        > that execute in the 'true' branch of the 'if flupstream' test to the
                        > top of the fileloop, adding a test to avoid files atarting with '#'.

                        Agreed...

                        > Second possible bug cause: file names longer than (or just) 32
                        > characters long. The second file in my test 'www' folder is
                        > '#desktopWebsiteTemplate copy.txt'. Its path, converted to a string as
                        > returned by the inner fileloop reads 'Data:Marc:Radio
                        > UserLand:www:#desktopWebsiteTemplat#744F.txt'. I don't
                        > know where this
                        > is coming from, but it's apparently a Frontier kernel related problem
                        > under MacOS X. I'll look into the fileloop C source later.

                        I'll ask Jake when he's back from vacation, but I think this is fixed
                        in the new kernel code.

                        > 1/ optimize the tests in uploadChangedFiles' inner fileloop to skip
                        > all non-upstreamable files as soon as possible.
                        >
                        > 2/ avoid calling upstreamScanFolder when the flScanNeeded attribute is
                        > already set to 'true'.
                        >
                        > 3/ avoid trying to call user defined callbacks if flScanNeeded is set
                        > to 'true'.

                        Agreed...

                        > PS: upon re-reading this post, anyone able to read and follow it from
                        > start to finish is a hero :-)

                        It was very well written--I followed it just fine...

                        Message 11 of 21 , May 6, 2005
                          "Marc Barrot" <marc@p...> wrote:
                          > I won't make modifications to a potential beta06 till I've had more
                          > feedback from the current version.

                          Well, meanwhile I've managed to replicate the bug evidenced by Steve
                          and locate its origin: a rather obvious mistake in
                          radio.upstream.uploadChangedFiles.

                          In the inner fileloop of the folderloop function, we check each
                          entry's last character: if it's a path separator, we cleverly deduct
                          the entry is a folder and proceed to call the folderloop function
                          recursively.

                          Well, recursion is tricky, or rather we've been a little careless:
                          when the code returns from its recursive call to folderloop, variable
                          f is restored to its initial pre-call value. f contains the path of a
                          folder - we've just looped through its content - so we should not be
                          executing the remaining folderloop lines in this iteration of the
                          fileloop.

                          In short, we forgot to place an else statement after testing for a
                          folder entry.

                          I'll prepare an optimized and corrected beta06 component over the
                          week-end, for distribution by Userland next week I expect.

                          In the meantime, we're still interested by reports about the current
                          beta's behaviour.

                          Marc
                        • Forest Oak
                          Message 12 of 21 , May 16, 2005
                            --- In radio-dev@yahoogroups.com, "Marc Barrot" <marc@p...> wrote:
                            > "Marc Barrot" <marc@p...> wrote:
                            > > I won't make modifications to a potential beta06 till I've had more
                            > > feedback from the current version.
                            >
                            > Well, meanwhile I've managed to replicate the bug evidenced by Steve
                            > and locate its origin: a rather obvious mistake in
                            > radio.upstream.uploadChangedFiles.

                            > In the meantime, we're still interested by reports about the current
                            > beta's behaviour.
                            >
                            > Marc

                            Hmm... I'm having a situation where categories starts upstreaming in
                            an endless loop.

                            It's alphabetic though, because if something comes before
                            "categories" it gets published, so there's something in my categories
                            that's holding up business.

                            for example http://jaihome.myvnc.com/index.html (the default) never
                            gets published, but http://jaihome.myvnc.com/aaindex.html does as do
                            the categories.

                            I am using the upstreaming beta.

                            This MAY be related to other problems I've been struggling with for a
                            long time. I believe I found recently that I had my "urls & folders"
                            set wrong, particularly the "folders" part.

                            I need to dig out Rogers' book & review categories (yet again).

                            Mac OS X 10.3.9, G4 400mhz.

                            Jeff Imig
                          • Forest Oak
                            Message 13 of 21 , May 17, 2005
                              > > In the meantime, we're still interested by reports about the current
                              > > beta's behaviour.
                              > >
                              > > Marc
                              >
                              > Hmm... I'm having a situation where categories starts upstreaming in
                              > an endless loop.

                              I've uninstalled the upstreaming beta, & now my home index.html is
                              getting published, but the endless loop of publishing & republishing
                              the categories is still happening.

                              :-(
                            • Steve Kirks
                              Message 14 of 21 , May 17, 2005
                                Jeff:

                                Beta 6 will ship tomorrow....

                                Steve

                                On 5/17/05, Forest Oak <jeff@...> wrote:
                                > > > In the meantime, we're still interested by reports about the current
                                > > > beta's behaviour.
                                > > >
                                > > > Marc
                                > >
                                > > Hmm... I'm having a situation where categories starts upstreaming in
                                > > an endless loop.
                                > >

                                > I've uninstalled the upstreaming beta, & now my home index.html is
                                > getting published, but the endless loop of publishing & republishing
                                > the categories is still happening.
                                >
                                > :-(

                                Steve Kirks
                                Product Manager, Radio UserLand
                                http://steve.userland.com/
                              • Jeff Imig
                                Message 15 of 21 , May 17, 2005
                                  I'll be trying it again.

                                  The endless loop did finally quit... but it took about an hour.

                                  I was just happy the uninstall works.

                                  Jeff

                                  On May 17, 2005, at 8:24 PM, Steve Kirks wrote:

                                  > Jeff:
                                  >
                                  > Beta 6 will ship tomorrow....
                                  >
                                  > Steve

                                  >>> Hmm... I'm having a situation where categories starts upstreaming in
                                  >>> an endless loop.
                                  >>>

                                  >> I've uninstalled the upstreaming beta, & now my home index.html is
                                  >> getting published, but the endless loop of publishing & republishing
                                  >> the categories is still happening.
                                  >>
                                  >> :-(

                                  > --
                                  > Steve Kirks
                                  > Product Manager, Radio UserLand
                                  > http://steve.userland.com/

                                  see http://jaihome.myvnc.com for latest news & views in my life

                                • Steve Kirks
                                  Message 16 of 21 , May 18, 2005

                                    Thank Patrick Ritchie for that....he wrote the code... :)

                                    --
                                    Steve Kirks
                                    Product Manager, Radio UserLand
                                    http://steve.userland.com/
                                  • Lawrence Lee
                                    Message 17 of 21 , May 18, 2005
                                      We released a fix for the upstreamScanFolder callback that caused custom
                                      folders from never being upstreamed.

                                      *** How do I install it?

                                      Important: Quit Radio and backup the entire Radio UserLand folder. This is
                                      good practice before installing any beta software or tools.

                                      1. Download this file and save it to disk:

                                      http://lawrence.userland.com/radioParts/upstreamingBeta06.fttb

                                      2. Import the beta parts into Radio using the Open command in Radio's File
                                      menu.

                                      3. In the QuickScript window (Ctrl-;), run the following script:

                                      workspace.upstreamingBeta06.installer ()

                                      If you need to remove the beta parts, you can run the following command in a
                                      QuickScript command to restore the original parts (prior to installing of
                                      the beta parts):

                                      workspace.upstreamingBeta06.installer (false)
                                    • Forest Oak
                                      Message 18 of 21 , May 19, 2005
                                        --- In radio-dev@yahoogroups.com, Lawrence Lee <lawrence@u...> wrote:
                                        > We released a fix for the upstreamScanFolder callback that caused custom
                                        > folders from never being upstreamed.

                                        status using radio categories with upstream beta 06

                                        Mac OS X
                                        local file upstream driver

                                        No longer gets caught in endless loop in categories.

                                        BUT: if the "home page" selection is not checked, but another is...
                                        it upstreams the old content. I have not tried this with "upstream
                                        only after publishing".

                                        CPU load appears to be improved; ranges from 7% to about 54%.

                                        http://jaihome.myvnc.com/categories/radiotest/
                                        http://jaihome.myvnc.com/categories/myInterests/
                                        http://jaihome.myvnc.com/