Optimize Upstreaming Project

  • Steve Kirks
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 24 10:01 AM
      All:

      I'm looking for developers in the group to participate in an
      upstreaming optimization project. We'll be analyzing the process from
      "top to bottom" in an effort to rewrite and refactor the code as
      needed.

      This will be a lightning fast team project, trying to achieve great
      things in a short time.

      Goals:

      Faster upstreaming, less processor usage, no breakage with expected
      upstreaming behavior.

      conference session within an hour of the deadline to set goals and
      deadlines. We'll work using WebEdit to handle code and document our
      progress here for all to follow.

      Who's in? We'll define a sucess goal and if we meet it, all
      participants will be rewarded with extended Radio subscriptions and/or
      extra licenses or something equitable (let me know that is).

      Reply to the list or privately as needed...

      Steve Kirks
      Product Manger, Radio Userland
      http://steve.userland.com
      IM: srk@...
      Skype: stevekirks
      this email is: [ ] blogable [ x ] ask first [ ] private
    • Steve Kirks
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 24 10:10 AM
        FYI the deadline is Friday, March 25th by noon Central time (-6GMT).
        Sorry about the omission.

        Steve

        On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 12:01:48 -0600, Steve Kirks <steve.kirks@...> wrote:
        > All:
        >
        > I'm looking for developers in the group to participate in an
        > upstreaming optimization project. We'll be analyzing the process from
        > "top to bottom" in an effort to rewrite and refactor the code as
        > needed.
        >
        > This will be a lightning fast team project, trying to achieve great
        > things in a short time.
        >
        > Goals:
        >
        > Faster upstreaming, less processor usage, no breakage with expected
        > upstreaming behavior.

        > conference session within an hour of the deadline to set goals and
        > deadlines. We'll work using WebEdit to handle code and document our
        > progress here for all to follow.
        >
        > Who's in? We'll define a sucess goal and if we meet it, all
        > participants will be rewarded with extended Radio subscriptions and/or
        > extra licenses or something equitable (let me know that is).
        >
        > Reply to the list or privately as needed...
        >
        > Steve Kirks
        > Product Manger, Radio Userland
        > http://steve.userland.com
        > IM: srk@...
        > Skype: stevekirks
        > this email is: [ ] blogable [ x ] ask first [ ] private
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Steve Kirks
        Product Manager, Radio UserLand
        http://steve.userland.com/
      • Lawrence Lee
        Message 3 of 21 , May 3, 2005
          We made some changes to the upstreaming in Radio, adding some new scan
          intervals for different folders. This reduces the load that Radio places on
          the processor during each scan. Significant reductions in overall processor
          usage has been seen on both Mac and PC platforms with this beta code.

          *** How do I install it?

          Important: Quit Radio and backup the entire Radio UserLand folder. This is
          good practice before installing any beta software or tools. Also, observe
          the current Radio application's processor usage while idle and while posting
          before you install the beta. Ensure that upstreaming is turned on when you
          check the processor usage.

          On Windows 2000/XP, open the Task Manager (press Ctrl-Alt-Delete and click
          the Task Manager button) or use Performance Monitor. On MacOS X, use
          Activity Monitor.

          1. Download this file and save it to disk:

          http://lawrence.userland.com/radioParts/upstreamingBeta05.fttb

          2. Import the beta parts into Radio using the Open command in
          Radio's File menu.

          3. In the QuickScript window (Ctrl-;), run the following script:

          workspace.upstreamingBeta05.installer ()

          4. The Upstreaming preferences page has been temporarily renamed "Upstream
          Beta". The wording here is very different and there is no longer a
          preference to set the upstreaming interval. We've hard-coded intervals to
          something in line with modern weblogging--each folder type is listed on the
          pref page with the scan intervals.

          http://127.0.0.1:5335/system/pages/prefs?page=1.4

          If you need to remove the beta parts, you can run the following command in a
          QuickScript command to restore the original parts (prior to installing of
          the beta parts):

          workspace.upstreamingBeta05.installer (false)

          *** How do I test it?

          Easy. Use the software like you always have. Let us know if it behaves
          like you would expect. The upstream scan intervals have changed so be sure
          to visit the prefs page and look for the "Upstreaming Beta" link. Click it
          and you'll see the default values and some definitions. Give us feedback on
          how to make that page better and easy to understand.

          Send an email to the radio-dev list letting us know that it worked, or if it
          didn't work, what happened.

          *** Thanks

          Thanks to Marc Barrot, Andy Fragen and Patrick Ritchie for their hard work
          in releasing these changes. Extra special thanks to Jake Savin for writing
          the new callback for upstreaming.

          *** How does it work?

          We've modified radio.upstream.uploadChangedFiles to run a new callback:
          radio.upstream.callbacks.upstream.upstreamScanFolder. The callback runs the
          scan based on the new user prefs and sets a boolean called flScanNeeded on
          the folder. The script at radio.upstream.uploadChangedFiles has a new
          subroutine that looks for the boolean and scans the folder only if it's set
          to true.

          Developers can create similar scripts and store them (or their addresses) in
          the user.radio.callbacks.upstreamScanFolder table if they create folders
          that need scanning on a different schedule than once an hour, the default
          value for 'custom' folders.

          Also, the script at radio.file.getAttributes has been optimized to call the
          date verb less often and check for the presence of a passed "whenModified"
          parameter. This reduces the overall script processing time and processor
          load, making upstream scans and page rendering (internal and external) much
          faster.

          Finally, we've corrected the upstream code so that invisible files or
          folders, such as MacOS X's notorious ".DS_Store" files, never clutter the
          upstream file cache.

          *** Upstreaming Scan Intervals:

          www Folder
          Defined as: the root of the 'www' folder and the root of all category
          subfolders
          Interval: 10 seconds

          current Folders:
          Defined as: Archive folders for the past month for weblog posts (including
          categories), stories and images.
          Interval: 10 seconds

          recent Folders:
          Defined as: Archive folders for the previous month for weblog posts
          (including categories), stories and images.
          Interval: 5 minutes

          archive Folder
          Defined as: Archive folders more than two months old for weblog posts
          (including categories), stories and images.
          Interval: 1 day

          static Folders:
          Defined as: gems, images, stories folder structure
          Interval: 1 minute

          custom Folders:
          Defined as: all folders not defined above.
          Interval: 1 hour
        • iceplantradio
          Message 4 of 21 , May 3, 2005
            > Send an email to the radio-dev list letting us know that it worked, or if it
            > didn't work, what happened.

            I guess I should test it some more beforing repying but I just wanted to say that I'm back
            from Mexico, looking forward to diving back into Radio stuff, have installed this beta and am
            excited about the work being done in this area.

            Having said that, my initial 1/2 hour with this beta installed shows no apparent difference in
            Activity Monitor. Radio goes from 5% usage to ~65% usage avery five or so seconds while
            idle. When I post, it gets to 70% for about 10 seconds then right back into the up/down
            routine.

            I must admit, other than that, I really don't know what I'm looking for to best help out with
            this beta. Radio "feels" exactly the same to me even after applying this beta.
          • Steve Kirks
            Message 5 of 21 , May 3, 2005
              Donovan:

              Just to make sure it's installed, can you check to see if the
              Upstreaming pref page is titled "Upstreaming Beta"?

              Steve

              Message 6 of 21 , May 3, 2005
                Steve, that's what the title says. "Upstreaming Beta"

                --- In radio-dev@yahoogroups.com, Steve Kirks <steve.kirks@g...> wrote:
                > Donovan:
                >
                > Just to make sure it's installed, can you check to see if the
                > Upstreaming pref page is titled "Upstreaming Beta"?
                >
                > Steve
                >
                > On 5/3/05, iceplantradio <d@...> wrote:
                > > > Send an email to the radio-dev list letting us know that it worked, or if
                > > it
                > > > didn't work, what happened.
                > >
                > > I guess I should test it some more beforing repying but I just wanted to
                > > say that I'm back
                > > from Mexico, looking forward to diving back into Radio stuff, have
                > > installed this beta and am
                > > excited about the work being done in this area.
                > >
                > > Having said that, my initial 1/2 hour with this beta installed shows no
                > > apparent difference in
                > > Activity Monitor. Radio goes from 5% usage to ~65% usage avery five or so
                > > seconds while
                > > idle. When I post, it gets to 70% for about 10 seconds then right back into
                > > the up/down
                > > routine.
                > >
                > > I must admit, other than that, I really don't know what I'm looking for to
                > > best help out with
                > > this beta. Radio "feels" exactly the same to me even after applying this
                > > beta.

                > --
                > Steve Kirks
                > Product Manager, Radio UserLand
                > http://steve.userland.com/
              • Marc Barrot
                Message 7 of 21 , May 4, 2005
                  Ok, here is what to look for when evaluating the upstreaming beta:

                  You need to monitor CPU activity by using the Activity Monitor utility
                  under MacOS X or the Task Manager under Windows 2K/XP.

                  Activity Monitor lives under the Utilities subfolder of your Mac's
                  Applications folder.

                  To launch Task Manager under Windows, simply press ctl-alt-del once,
                  then click the Task Manager button and look at the CPU usage history
                  graph under the Performance tab.

                  *Before* installing the beta, look at your CPU load graph over a
                  period of 2 minutes, first while Radio is *not* running, then with
                  Radio running and idle with upstreaming turned on (the default).

                  When you have a clearly identiable pattern in both cases, instal the
                  beta, then study the CPU load graph while Radio is running and idle.

                  Please report your findings in this thread, don't forget to tell us
                  what system you are running Radio on.

                  Thanks

                  Marc
                • Marc Barrot
                  Message 8 of 21 , May 4, 2005
                    --- In radio-dev@yahoogroups.com, "Marc Barrot" <marc@p...> wrote:
                    > Please report your findings in this thread, don't forget to tell us
                    > what system you are running Radio on.

                    For instance, on my MacOS X laptop, average CPU load when Radio is not
                    running, and system is idle is very low: CPU is around 80% idle. I
                    usually have Firefox running, plus MS Entourage and iChat, all idle.

                    When Radio is running and idle without the upstreaming update, Radio
                    takes between 15 and 85% of the CPU activity, averaging around 70% for
                    stretches of close to 20 seconds.

                    With the upstreaming beta installed, there is a peak of Radio activity
                    (70%) every 10 seconds, for about 1 second or so. One in six of these
                    peaks is slightly longer. Radio takes between 5 and 15% of CPU load
                    between peaks. This is a certifiable improvement.

                    Marc
                  • Andy Fragen
                    Message 9 of 21 , May 4, 2005
                      In `top`, Radio spikes to 50-65% every 10 sec or so with the remaining
                      time spent under 10%. If I have another process using lots of CPU I only
                      get spikes in the 30's.

                      --
                      Andy Fragen
                      PBG4 1.33GHz/1.25GB RAM - OS X 10.4

                      Message 10 of 21 , May 4, 2005
                        Bug:

                        What I did: With a clean copy of Radio 8.1 on MacOS X, I created a
                        new empty folder called "customerDemo" in the root of the www folder.

                        What happened: Folder not upstreamed.

                        What I expect: new empty folder to be created on server.

                        Upstream error message: Can't upstream because "The file
                        “customerDemo” wasn’t found."
                        ----Note that that quotes are put there by Radio, not me.

                        I noticed some odd things when I stepped through the code using the
                        following method:

                        1. Opened radio.upstream.uploadChangedFiles in debug mode. Added a
                        command to create a new folder at the root of the www folder called
                        "customerDemo".
                        2. Stepped "in" to the script.
                        3. In the code bundle labeled "pass 1", I stepped to the folderloop
                        command at the bottom of the bundle.
                        4. Stepped "in" to the folderloop subroutine.
                        5. At this point, "f" was equal to "www". Note: there is no test
                        for invisible or "dot" files inside the "fileloop" inside of the
                        folderloop routine. That needs to be changed to prevent
                        file.modified from running against useless files.
                        6. Scan continues to loop correctly for all files and folders in the
                        www directory until we reach "customerDemo"--the empty folder.
                        7. When "f" equalled the empty folder, I stepped "in" to the
                        callback at radio.upstream.callbacks.upstream.upstreamScanFolder.

                        I stepped through that script and got the following results when
                        f="www/customerDemo"

                        8. requestScan correctly returned false
                        9. isSpecDefined correctly returned false
                        10. The if statement "if defined (adrFolder^.upstream.upstreamType)"
                        correctly evaluates
                        11. The created folder is assigned "custom" type and the script
                        returns true and returns back to radio.upstream.uploadChangedFiles

                        Here's where it loses me--my brain got full and I forgot to turn off
                        upstreaming, so in the background, Radio processed the file.
                        flScanNeeded ends up false yet the upstreaming code is trying to
                        upload a folder like a file. I'm sure the bug has something to do
                        with the fact that it's a new empty folder. Can someone else with a
                        brain less full take it from here?

                        Steve
                      • iceplantradio
                        Message 11 of 21 , May 4, 2005
                          My findings:

                          On my MacOS X laptop (PowerBook G4 800MHz), average CPU load when Radio is not
                          running, and system is idle the CPU is around 80% idle. I usually have Safari running, plus
                          Mail, DayLite, NNW, Path Finder, TextMate and iChat, all idle.

                          When Radio is running and idle without the upstreaming update, Radio takes between 5 and
                          65% of the CPU activity, averaging around 60% for stretches of close to 8 seconds.

                          With the upstreaming beta installed, there is a peak of Radio activity (45%) every 5 seconds,
                          for about 15 seconds or so. Most of the peaks look about the same but it does seem to dip
                          down to the 16% and 30% area for a second or so during this peak time. Radio takes between
                          5 and 10% of CPU load between peaks.
                        • Marc Barrot
                          Message 12 of 21 , May 4, 2005
                            I'm not sure what Steve expects is the standard procedure: I think
                            'empty' folders should not be upstreamed at all. They are created on
                            the public site when some of their content is actually in need of
                            upstreaming, that is when they are no longer empty.

                            In any event, I've disabled upstreaming on my test Radio installation,
                            created an empty '_testFolder' folder under www, then single-stepped
                            through the revised radio.upstream.uploadChangedFiles code.

                            Warning, this is getting hard to follow if you don't have Radio
                            running and can look at the relevent parts yourself :-)

                            First bizarre discovery: the 'www' entry in the
                            user.radio.settings.files cache table has an upstream.upstreamType
                            attribute set to 'archive' on my test system. This should never happen
                            under normal circumstances: the correct value is 'root'. It could be a
                            result of my previous debuggging runs though the code revisions
                            phases. More on that subject later. For now I just deleted the
                            upstream.upstreamType attribute and started over.

                            I concur with Steve: in the inner fileloop of uploadChangedFiles,
                            there should be a test to simply skip 'un-upstreamable' files, that is
                            files with names starting with the '#' character.

                            I think a valid optimization would be to move the battery of tests
                            that execute in the 'true' branch of the 'if flupstream' test to the
                            top of the fileloop, adding a test to avoid files atarting with '#'.

                            Second possible bug cause: file names longer than (or just) 32
                            characters long. The second file in my test 'www' folder is
                            '#desktopWebsiteTemplate copy.txt'. Its path, converted to a string as
                            returned by the inner fileloop reads 'Data:Marc:Radio
                            UserLand:www:#desktopWebsiteTemplat#744F.txt'. I don't know where this
                            is coming from, but it's apparently a Frontier kernel related problem
                            under MacOS X. I'll look into the fileloop C source later.

                            Back to single-stepping: The inner fileloop correctly identifies
                            'Data:Marc:Radio UserLand:www:_testFolder:' as a folder and dives in.

                            It creates a new matching entry in the user.radio.settings.files cache
                            table, and initiates the 'flScanNeeded' attribute to 'true', which is
                            normal since this is the first ever detection of _testFolder, and
                            flScanNeeded was never previously defined.

                            It then forges on to call all the 'upstreamScanFolder' scripts. In
                            this case, this is stupid since we already know that _testFolder needs
                            scanning, we've just set its flScanNeeded cached attribute to 'true'.
                            There is an obvious optimization there.

                            Nonetheless, during that unnecessary run through the
                            radio.upstream.callbacks.upstream.upstreamScanFolder code, it
                            correctly identifies that folder as a 'custom' folder, and sets its
                            upstream.upstreamType attribute to 'custom' in the cache.

                            But since there is no last upstream time to compare the current time
                            with, the code resets the flScanNeeded to false. What was an incentive
                            for optimization is now a certified bug: it means that the next run
                            through _testFolder's content won't happen for another 60 minutes (the
                            custom delay), even though this is a newly created folder which
                            content needs scanning right now.

                            Apart from the problems described above, everything runs as expected,
                            no upstreaming is attempted, and no error message generated.

                            Now on to a second run, more than 1 hour later to overcome the 60
                            minutes 'custom' folder delay.

                            When encountering _testFolder, uploadChangedFiles calls
                            upstreamScanFolder, which correctly sets flScanNeeded from its
                            previous 'false' value to 'true' when it detects a cached upstreamType
                            attribute of 'custom' and over a 1 hour time delay since last scan.

                            uploadChangedFiles then calls all the user defined callback scripts,
                            should they exist, which is unnecessary since we already know that its
                            content should be scanned: another possible optimization (and cause of
                            possible user generated bugs) there.

                            Otherwise, nothing remarkable happens. The folder's content is empty,
                            no upstreaming is requested, and everything else looks fine.

                            Upon further inquiry, the improper 'archive' upstreamType value cached
                            for the 'www' folder was a product of the development cycle on my
                            system, it now remains properly cached as 'root'.

                            To wrap-up Steve's test case, I think I should eventually:

                            1/ optimize the tests in uploadChangedFiles' inner fileloop to skip
                            all non-upstreamable files as soon as possible.

                            2/ avoid calling upstreamScanFolder when the flScanNeeded attribute is
                            already set to 'true'.

                            3/ avoid trying to call user defined callbacks if flScanNeeded is set
                            to 'true'.

                            I won't make modifications to a potential beta06 till I've had more
                            feedback from the current version.

                            Marc

                            PS: upon re-reading this post, anyone able to read and follow it from
                            start to finish is a hero :-)
                          • Steve Kirks
                            Message 13 of 21 , May 4, 2005
                              All:

                              Marc is right...

                              > I'm not sure what Steve expects is the standard procedure: I think
                              > 'empty' folders should not be upstreamed at all. They are created on
                              > the public site when some of their content is actually in need of
                              > upstreaming, that is when they are no longer empty.

                              I tested with old code and new (thanks, installer!) and in the old
                              code, the empty folder is skipped. In the new code, an error is
                              thrown as previously described. Looks like something is buggy...

                              > In any event, I've disabled upstreaming on my test Radio installation,
                              > created an empty '_testFolder' folder under www, then single-stepped
                              > through the revised radio.upstream.uploadChangedFiles
                              > code.
                              >
                              > Warning, this is getting hard to follow if you don't have Radio
                              > running and can look at the relevent parts yourself :-)

                              I followed along with the rest of your email and agree--it's easy to
                              step through it but hard to write about it. I learned more about the
                              code writing the email then I expected.

                              > I concur with Steve: in the inner fileloop of uploadChangedFiles,
                              > there should be a test to simply skip 'un-upstreamable' files, that is
                              > files with names starting with the '#' character.
                              >
                              > I think a valid optimization would be to move the battery of tests
                              > that execute in the 'true' branch of the 'if flupstream' test to the
                              > top of the fileloop, adding a test to avoid files atarting with '#'.

                              Agreed...

                              > Second possible bug cause: file names longer than (or just) 32
                              > characters long. The second file in my test 'www' folder is
                              > '#desktopWebsiteTemplate copy.txt'. Its path, converted to a string as
                              > returned by the inner fileloop reads 'Data:Marc:Radio
                              > UserLand:www:#desktopWebsiteTemplat#744F.txt'. I don't
                              > know where this
                              > is coming from, but it's apparently a Frontier kernel related problem
                              > under MacOS X. I'll look into the fileloop C source later.

                              I'll ask Jake when he's back from vacation, but I think this is fixed
                              in the new kernel code.

                              > 1/ optimize the tests in uploadChangedFiles' inner fileloop to skip
                              > all non-upstreamable files as soon as possible.
                              >
                              > 2/ avoid calling upstreamScanFolder when the flScanNeeded attribute is
                              > already set to 'true'.
                              >
                              > 3/ avoid trying to call user defined callbacks if flScanNeeded is set
                              > to 'true'.

                              Agreed...

                              > PS: upon re-reading this post, anyone able to read and follow it from
                              > start to finish is a hero :-)

                              It was very well written--I followed it just fine...

                              Message 14 of 21 , May 6, 2005
                                "Marc Barrot" <marc@p...> wrote:
                                > I won't make modifications to a potential beta06 till I've had more
                                > feedback from the current version.

                                Well, meanwhile I've managed to replicate the bug evidenced by Steve
                                and locate its origin: a rather obvious mistake in
                                radio.upstream.uploadChangedFiles.

                                In the inner fileloop of the folderloop function, we check each
                                entry's last character: if it's a path separator, we cleverly deduct
                                the entry is a folder and proceed to call the folderloop function
                                recursively.

                                Well, recursion is tricky, or rather we've been a little careless:
                                when the code returns from its recursive call to folderloop, variable
                                f is restored to its initial pre-call value. f contains the path of a
                                folder - we've just looped through its content - so we should not be
                                executing the remaining folderloop lines in this iteration of the
                                fileloop.

                                In short, we forgot to place an else statement after testing for a
                                folder entry.

                                I'll prepare an optimized and corrected beta06 component over the
                                week-end, for distribution by Userland next week I expect.

                                In the meantime, we're still interested by reports about the current
                                beta's behaviour.

                                Marc
                              • Forest Oak
                                Message 15 of 21 , May 16, 2005
                                  --- In radio-dev@yahoogroups.com, "Marc Barrot" <marc@p...> wrote:
                                  > "Marc Barrot" <marc@p...> wrote:
                                  > > I won't make modifications to a potential beta06 till I've had more
                                  > > feedback from the current version.
                                  >
                                  > Well, meanwhile I've managed to replicate the bug evidenced by Steve
                                  > and locate its origin: a rather obvious mistake in
                                  > radio.upstream.uploadChangedFiles.

                                  > In the meantime, we're still interested by reports about the current
                                  > beta's behaviour.
                                  >
                                  > Marc

                                  Hmm... I'm having a situation where categories starts upstreaming in
                                  an endless loop.

                                  It's alphabetic though, because if something comes before
                                  "categories" it gets published, so there's something in my categories
                                  that's holding up business.

                                  for example http://jaihome.myvnc.com/index.html (the default) never
                                  gets published, but http://jaihome.myvnc.com/aaindex.html does as do
                                  the categories.

                                  I am using the upstreaming beta.

                                  This MAY be related to other problems I've been struggling with for a
                                  long time. I believe I found recently that I had my "urls & folders"
                                  set wrong, particularly the "folders" part.

                                  I need to dig out Rogers' book & review categories (yet again).

                                  Mac OS X 10.3.9, G4 400mhz.

                                  Jeff Imig
                                • Forest Oak
                                  Message 16 of 21 , May 17, 2005
                                    > > In the meantime, we're still interested by reports about the current
                                    > > beta's behaviour.
                                    > >
                                    > > Marc
                                    >
                                    > Hmm... I'm having a situation where categories starts upstreaming in
                                    > an endless loop.

                                    I've uninstalled the upstreaming beta, & now my home index.html is
                                    getting published, but the endless loop of publishing & republishing
                                    the categories is still happening.

                                    :-(
                                  • Steve Kirks
                                    Message 17 of 21 , May 17, 2005
                                      Jeff:

                                      Beta 6 will ship tomorrow....

                                      Steve

                                      On 5/17/05, Forest Oak <jeff@...> wrote:
                                      > > > In the meantime, we're still interested by reports about the current
                                      > > > beta's behaviour.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Marc
                                      > >
                                      > > Hmm... I'm having a situation where categories starts upstreaming in
                                      > > an endless loop.
                                      > >

                                      > I've uninstalled the upstreaming beta, & now my home index.html is
                                      > getting published, but the endless loop of publishing & republishing
                                      > the categories is still happening.
                                      >
                                      > :-(

                                      Steve Kirks
                                      Product Manager, Radio UserLand
                                      http://steve.userland.com/
                                    • Jeff Imig
                                      Message 18 of 21 , May 17, 2005
                                        I'll be trying it again.

                                        The endless loop did finally quit... but it took about an hour.

                                        I was just happy the uninstall works.

                                        Jeff

                                        On May 17, 2005, at 8:24 PM, Steve Kirks wrote:

                                        > Jeff:
                                        >
                                        > Beta 6 will ship tomorrow....
                                        >
                                        > Steve

                                        >>> Hmm... I'm having a situation where categories starts upstreaming in
                                        >>> an endless loop.
                                        >>>

                                        >> I've uninstalled the upstreaming beta, & now my home index.html is
                                        >> getting published, but the endless loop of publishing & republishing
                                        >> the categories is still happening.
                                        >>
                                        >> :-(

                                        > --
                                        > Steve Kirks
                                        > Product Manager, Radio UserLand
                                        > http://steve.userland.com/

                                        see http://jaihome.myvnc.com for latest news & views in my life

                                      • Steve Kirks
                                        Message 19 of 21 , May 18, 2005

                                          Message 20 of 21 , May 18, 2005
                                            We released a fix for the upstreamScanFolder callback that caused custom
                                            folders from never being upstreamed.

                                            http://lawrence.userland.com/radioParts/upstreamingBeta06.fttb

                                            2. Import the beta parts into Radio using the Open command in Radio's File
                                            menu.

                                            3. In the QuickScript window (Ctrl-;), run the following script:

                                            workspace.upstreamingBeta06.installer ()

                                            If you need to remove the beta parts, you can run the following command in a
                                            QuickScript command to restore the original parts (prior to installing of
                                            the beta parts):

                                            workspace.upstreamingBeta06.installer (false)
                                          • Forest Oak
                                            Message 21 of 21 , May 19, 2005
                                              --- In radio-dev@yahoogroups.com, Lawrence Lee <lawrence@u...> wrote:
                                              > We released a fix for the upstreamScanFolder callback that caused custom
                                              > folders from never being upstreamed.

                                              status using radio categories with upstream beta 06

                                              Mac OS X
                                              local file upstream driver

                                              No longer gets caught in endless loop in categories.

                                              BUT: if the "home page" selection is not checked, but another is...
                                              it upstreams the old content. I have not tried this with "upstream
                                              only after publishing".

                                              CPU load appears to be improved; ranges from 7% to about 54%.

                                              http://jaihome.myvnc.com/categories/radiotest/
                                              http://jaihome.myvnc.com/categories/myInterests/
                                              http://jaihome.myvnc.com/