Upstreaming via the Blogger API ...

  • Scott C. Lemon
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 23, 2005
      Message
      I'm curious ... is there a way to upstream a single category using the Blogger API?  I'm thinking there might be a way to add something to the #upstream file?

      Maybe?  Please?

      (Or ... something else that could be written ... ;-)

      Scott C. Lemon

    • Steve Hooker
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 23, 2005
        Isn't this what you're after? It used to work with the Blogger API and still does with the metaWeblog API. I say used to, because I don't know the current status of the Blogger API at Google. If they've switch it off or changed something.

        http://www.cybersaps.org/publicTools/xManilaBloggerBridge/

        Should do what you want?

        --
        Steve Hooker
        http://www.cybersaps.org

      • Scott C. Lemon
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 23, 2005
          Message
          Steve,

          Thanks for the quick reply.  I had seen the tool in Radio 8, however the docs that I am reading just are not quite clear ... so I'm not sure if this will do what I'm after.

          I have Radio 8, and the "home page" publishes to one particular web site via FTP.  I then have 22 different categories, and each of these publish/upstream via FTP to 22 different web sites.

          Most of the time, I post to only one category, and/or the home page.  Only if a post is applicable to several of my blogs would I ever select more than one destination (home page, and one or more categories)

          I now want to create my 23rd category, and use blogger.com for that one category to be published/upstreamed to.

          So here is my lack of understanding ... how do I configure the  ManilaBloggerBridge, or the xManilaBloggerBridge so that only that one category is mirrored to my blogger.com site?  I do not want any other category, nor my home page to be mirrored ... just that one category ... is that possible?

          Scott C. Lemon

          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 23, 2005
            Message
            With the default Manila-Blogger Bridge tool... Can't you just subscribe to the category RSS feed in the tool and then have it publish to the Blogger site?

            It won't happen automatically but when your aggregator reads in the RSS feed.

            Lawrence Lee
            UserLand Software
            www.userland.com

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 23, 2005
              Message
              I know that this is where I must simply be missing something that is completely obvious ... but I just can't see where I say "I want my category {x} to be the *only* category to be mirrored to the defined Blogger API site."  When I look at the page that is shown here (  ) I see only the fields to define the destination Blogger API ... but not the source category.

              It appears that *all* categories will be published ... I can't see where or how I define that the one specific category is mirrored.

              On Steve's web page, it seems to say that I can control this with the HTML rendering, however I can't turn that off for my other categories since they are being rendered and upstreamed via FTP.

              P.S. Once I get this working, then I'm going to want to go to the next step ... I want the ability to define a Blogger API destination for multiple categories, with each one being a unique destination.

              I believe that the *real* future of blogging is individuals subscribed to multiple blogs, and posting to multiple blogs ... not just posting to a single blog.  The destination blog will have to be configurable to be published/rendered/upstreamed via one of many protocols to one or more destinations.

              Scott C. Lemon

              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 23, 2005
                Message
                Ok ... I now see what I was missing ... the *x*!!

                I have been looking at Dave's bridge ... not Steve's.

                I'm now doing some configuration and experimentation ... thanks all!

                Scott C. Lemon

                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 23, 2005
                  Message
                  Steve,

                  It appears there might be a bug in the xManilaBloggerBridge if there is a "." in the category name.  I have two categories where I used the domain name as the category name.  Even though I am not attempting to mirror either of these categories, I get an error:

                     Macro error: Can't evaluate the expression because the name "80211.net" hasn't been defined.

                  That is my first category ...

                  Scott C. Lemon

                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 23, 2005
                    Message
                    One more e-mail before bed.

                    I was able to go in and manually hack the xManilaBloggerBridgeData.root ... I got my new category configured, and it throws and error.  The text of the error (from blogger?) is:

                      Can't call the script because the name "backLogAllRSSSuite" hasn't been defined.

                    Now, reading on the blogger site, I found that they have switched to SSL ...

                    They indicate some PIN system, but there is no additional information.  They have been Googlorged ... a Google variation of being assimilated by the borg.

                    Can the script easily be changed to do SSL?

                    Scott C. Lemon

                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 24, 2005
                      Scott:

                      I think backLogAllRSS is a Steve Hooker tool/script....

                      Steve Kirks

                      --
                      Steve Kirks
                      Product Manager, Radio UserLand
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 24, 2005
                        Thanks ... I found the tool and have installed it also. I'll do more
                        testing tonight when I have more time!

                        Scott C. Lemon

                        --
                        Steve Kirks
                        Product Manager, Radio UserLand
                        http://steve.userland.com/

                      • Donovan Watts
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 24, 2005
                          I find backlogallrss invaluable mainly because it allows macros to
                          render in your feed. I can't understand why Radio doesn't natively do
                          this but that's why I run with Steve's tool.

                          --
                          donovan
                        • Scott C. Lemon
                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 24, 2005
                            I also like what I see!

                            I am getting closer with the posts to Blogger ... However now I got the
                            following error:

                            "The server, plant.blogger.com, returned error code 0: java.lang.Exception:
                            RPC handler object "metaWeblog" not found and no default handler registered"

                            Uh ... So now I'm going to dig into that one ... ;-)