Home page will not render ...

  • Scott C. Lemon
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 21, 2005
      Message
      Ok ... I'm bummed out.  Once again, Radio is behaving in a completely unknown manner ...

      I exited and restarted ... it then ran at 100% utilization on my machine for ~20 minutes ... would not respond in any way ... then it stopped.  It now is back running 'normally' however it will not render my home page.

      I actually believe that is more related to posts that I have made in the new year.  I have gone to the menu and clicked on "Radio -> Publish -> Weblog Home Page" ... and nothing happens ...

      The 'events' screen says:

        Weblog publish    the.Inevitable.Org/anism ; 1/21/2005.    6:58:11 PM   0.000
        Weblog publish    the.Inevitable.Org/anism .                       6:58:11 PM    0.000
        Weblog publish    the.Inevitable.Org/anism .                       6:50:35 PM    0.016

      But the index.html is not being rendered ...

      Where do I even begin to look?

      Scott C. Lemon

    • Steve Kirks
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 22, 2005
        On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 19:01:32 -0700, Scott C. Lemon
        <Scott.Lemon@...> wrote:

        Scott:

        I've had problems like this before and they are usually related to:

        --root file bloat: save a copy of all of the data files (menu:
        Radio->Utilities->Compact Data Files...) and save a copy of Radio.root
        (with Radio.root as the foreground window, menu:
        Tools->Developers->Save a copy...)

        --odd characters in the post title or body: some mystery character
        somewhere will prevent Radio from rendering and the process dies.
        Andy Fragen's data file cleaner tool helps here.

        --missing or bad info in Radio.root: Radio's rendering process relies
        on a complicated series of calls to other scripts and callbacks.
        There's a chance something is wrong with your Radio.root due to a
        rogue tool that deleted/installed a callback or even if you yourself
        inadvertently moved part of an outline by mistake. The only solution
        here is a clean install, following the instructions to "move Radio to
        another computer" -- download a fresh copy of Radio and reinstall.
        Don't forget to save your custom scripts and/or workspace table.

        I had serious posting issues when I moved my copy of Radio to another
        computer for testing and I had to restore from backup XMLs twice. I
        eventually traced it to a Radio.root problem (specifics unknown)
        because replacing the root with a fresh copy fixed it.

        HTH

        --
        Steve Kirks
        Product Manager, Radio UserLand
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 22, 2005
          Steve,

          Well ... It's working again ... However there is nothing consistent nor
          predictable about how it 'came back alive.'

          I did the "root file bloat" suggestions that you had, and it didn't seem to
          resolve anything. However when I did a test post, Radio proceeded to render
          and upstream my archives ... I could watch it doing my oldest 2001 posts
          moving forward in time ... But only 25 at a time.

          I repeatedly edited the same post and then did "post and publish" again ...
          25 more ... And again ... 25 more. I did this over and over watching the
          events page until it finally rendered and upstreamed all of the archives and
          the rss files ... But still no index.html. ;-(

          I did this a few more times ... Edit then post/publish ... And then all the
          sudden it rendered and upstreamed the index.html, archive page, and rss.xml.

          No idea what it was doing ... ;-(

          Thanks for the suggestions ... It got things going somehow!

          Scott C. Lemon

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 22, 2005
            I take it back ... It's still consistently inconsistent. ;-(

            I just posted/published again ... It worked except that I had some errors in
            the post. I then went and edited the post and re-published ... And it
            didn't publish to my home page. Grrr ...

            Scott C. Lemon