Editing Manila News Items with Radio

  • Steve Kirks
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2 12:46 PM
      I'm an outliner geek now. I'm completely sucked in. That said, I want
      to edit a Manila news item with Radio's outliner, but I can't. To wit:
      I can not apply rendering rules to a Manila news item and that makes
      me sad.

      Situation:

      I create a news item from the web UI. Manila creates a new table entry
      for the message and when I open it in the outliner, here's what I get:

      <newsItem>
      <department>Foo Dept.</department>
      <description>Description of the Foo news item. ;
      This is the entire text of the news item.</description>
      <title>Foo Department Summary</title>
      <url></url>
      </newsItem>

      Now, when I apply rules anywhere in this, it hoses the HTML version of
      the news item. Anyone have any bright ideas? A search of the Manila
      and Radio DGs turned up some posts about news items and outlines, but
      not rules. The layout looks like I'm editing raw XML, right?

      Steve Kirks
      http://houseofwarwick.com/
    • Marc Barrot
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 4 6:41 AM
        --- In radio-dev@yahoogroups.com, Steve Kirks <srk@m...> wrote:
        > I want to edit a Manila news item with Radio's outliner, but I
        > can't... I can not apply rendering rules to a Manila news item and
        > that makes me sad.

        Steve, since you were the one who introduced me to Manila discussion
        groups and news items, you probably know a lot more about this subject
        than I do.

        Nevertheless, from what you describe, I would assume that the Frontier
        renderer used when publishing news items - the one responsible for
        converting the XML news structure you see in your Radio outliner - is
        somewhat different from the renderer called by Frontier when
        publishing discussion group posts, which understands the <rules> XML
        tags you insert to influence the published HTML style, as described
        here [1].

        Whether this is a bug of the news items renderer or an interesting
        feature request for the next version of Manila is for Userland to
        answer.

        Whether this discussion belongs in this group is debatable :-) Is
        there a manila or manila-dev discussion space ?

        Cheers

        Marc

        1:
        http://radio.userland.com/userGuide/advanced/outliner/howToUseRadioWithManila
      • mlmauller
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 4 9:10 AM
          --- In radio-dev@yahoogroups.com, "Marc Barrot" <info@p...> wrote:
          <snip>
          > Whether this discussion belongs in this group is debatable :-) Is
          > there a manila or manila-dev discussion space ?
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > Marc

          </snip>