Re: Introducing the enhancedAggregator Project

  • Marc Barrot
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 2, 2004
      I've just published a detailed description [1] of the code inside the
      enhancedAggregator tool [2], after receiving several remarks that my
      first guidelines [3] for contributing to the project were taking a lot
      for granted :-)

      I hope this description will be of interest to anyone planning to
      author a tool, whether linked to the enhancedAggregator project or not.

      Cheers

      Marc

      1: http://radio.weblogs.com/0104487/outlines/radio/eaTour.html
      2: http://updates.prec-it.com/download/enhancedAggregator.root
      3: http://radio.weblogs.com/0104487/outlines/radio/enhancedAggregator.html
    • rcade
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 3, 2004
        --- In radio-dev@yahoogroups.com, "Marc Barrot" <info@p...> wrote:
        > I've just published a detailed description [1] of the code inside
        the
        > enhancedAggregator tool [2], after receiving several remarks that my
        > first guidelines [3] for contributing to the project were taking a
        lot
        > for granted :-)

        When I look at your detailed description in Mozilla 1.6, I don't see
        any carets I can use to expand outline entries. I had to click the
        "expand all" link to see the full docs.

        Before I do anything with the .root file, I'm curious about a couple
        of things: Does this tool run separately from the existing aggregator?
        Also, how is the source licensed?

        http://www.cadenhead.org/workbench
      • Scott C. Lemon
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 3, 2004
          Hello,

          I have *finally* been successful in completing the upgrade of all of the
          Radio 7 users that I have been working with ... And finally completed the
          upgrade of my final desktop system. Now it's time for me to start
          exploiting some of the new/advanced features of Radio 8 ...

          (I know ... A long time coming!)

          I have some questions in the following areas:

          1. I now have a site at {mysite}.Manilasites.com, and the new site at
          http://radio.weblogs.com/{mynum}/ ... How do I enable or configure
          upstreaming to both of these sites?

          2. I also want to individually configure each "Category" to it's own FTP
          location. Where do I configure this?

          3. I want to apply unique Themes on a per-Category basis ... Where do I
          configure this?

          Also ... A couple of requests for enhancements:

          1. It would be nice to have a pref for the aggregator to list the news
          articles in ascending or descending order by date/time. I like the *oldest*
          to be at the top of my reading ... And Radio defaults to newest first. I
          already hacked the code to change the 'for' loop ... But I have a feeling
          that it could be overwritten.

          2. It would be nice to add text at the top of the New Aggregator page to
          display how many total articles are there to read. Again ... I already
          hacked the code to do this ...

          Thanks again! Great product!

          Scott C. Lemon

          > I've just published a detailed description [1] of the code inside
          the
          > enhancedAggregator tool [2], after receiving several remarks that my
          > first guidelines [3] for contributing to the project were taking a
          lot
          > for granted :-)

          When I look at your detailed description in Mozilla 1.6, I don't see any
          carets I can use to expand outline entries. I had to click the "expand all"
          link to see the full docs.

          Before I do anything with the .root file, I'm curious about a couple of
          things: Does this tool run separately from the existing aggregator? Also,
          how is the source licensed?

          http://www.cadenhead.org/workbench

          http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
          http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/nhFolB/TM
        • Steve Kirks
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 3, 2004
            On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, Scott C. Lemon wrote:

            > 1. I now have a site at {mysite}.Manilasites.com, and the new site at
            > http://radio.weblogs.com/{mynum}/ ... How do I enable or configure
            > upstreaming to both of these sites?

            You can use the Manila-Blogger bridge, but it's not true upstreaming--more
            like mirroring in a basic form. That will get your content to the Manila
            server. Your Radio upstreaming is not affected.

            > 2. I also want to individually configure each "Category" to it's own FTP
            > location. Where do I configure this?

            This is easy. Place an #upstream.xml file in each category directory in
            your Radio installation. See this:

            http://radio.userland.com/userGuide/advanced/upstreaming/howToPublishACategoryToADifferentFTPServer

            (long URL--ouch)

            Remember, you don't have to use FTP to upstream a category, some can use
            xmlStorageSystem and others FTP. I do that now with my Radio category--it
            goes to the UserLand cloud and my main weblog goes to my FTP server. You
            can also (I think) do this with your backups: FTP upstream your backups
            to one server and keep the main weblog on the cloud. That way the cloud
            storage space is not used for your backup. Advice/experience to the
            contrary is welcome.

            > 3. I want to apply unique Themes on a per-Category basis ... Where do I
            > configure this?

            Easy. Go to this page: http://127.0.0.1:5335/system/pages/categories
            Click on a category name. Look for the dropdown menu labeled themes.

            > Also ... A couple of requests for enhancements:
            >
            > 1. It would be nice to have a pref for the aggregator to list the news
            > articles in ascending or descending order by date/time. I like the *oldest*
            > to be at the top of my reading ... And Radio defaults to newest first. I
            > already hacked the code to change the 'for' loop ... But I have a feeling
            > that it could be overwritten.

            Try Mikel Maron's myRadio:
            http://radio.weblogs.com/0100875/outlines/myRadio/

            I think it can do what you want. Your request is also on my wishlist:

            http://houseofwarwick.com/stories/radioFeatureWishList.html

            > 2. It would be nice to add text at the top of the New Aggregator page to
            > display how many total articles are there to read. Again ... I already
            > hacked the code to do this ...

            Share! What code? Share both, if you don't mind...

            Steve Kirks
            http://houseofwarwick.com/
          • Scott C. Lemon
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 3, 2004
              Steve,

              Thanks for the quick reply ...

              1. I grabbed a copy of the Manila/Blogger Bridge tool ... It looks like what
              I wanted. Thanks!

              2. Thanks for the pointer to the #upstream.xml file info ... Again, this
              appears to address what I was after. I'll have to see what the file names
              are within the Category directory ... I haven't rendered a category yet.
              I'm hoping that I don't end up with conflicts in naming ...

              3. The Themes appear to be pretty easy. I hadn't yet clicked a Category
              name. It looks like all Themes are being stored in the Radio
              Userland/Themes sub-directory ... In fttb format.

              Is there a tool to create new Themes in this format?

              4. Wow ... Mikel's stuff is *very* cool. He also covers something that I
              forgot to ask for ... New Aggregation into "folders'! I want a "RSS Rules
              Wizard" that allows me to sort incoming messages by rules, onto different
              pages for reading.

              The "fix" that I did to change the sort order for Radio was in:

              Radio.root: system.verbs.builtins.radio.html.viewNewsItems

              Search for "sizetable" and you ought to find this line:

              for i = sizetable downto 1

              Which I changed to be:

              for i = 1 to sizetable // downto 1 - SCL 2004-03-02

              This simply reverses the order when creating the page.

              At the end of this same code chunk I searched for:

              local (flDeleteButtonAdded = false)

              And then added a new line above it:

              add ("Total number of articles: " + sizetable ) // SCL 2004-03-01 Show
              total articles

              This adds the total text at the bottom of the page. I wanted to add it at
              the top, however it would require more code changes ... Maybe 3-4 lines.

              Also ... After changing this file, I do the "Compile" ... However the
              changes do not seem to take effect immediately ... I have to wait a while
              before my changes are usable ... Seems to be cached someplace?

              Anyone know what I have to do to see the results of my "hacks" sooner? ;-)

              Scott C. Lemon

              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 3, 2004
                How do I get Radio to recognize new Themes?

                I downloaded several ... Dumped them into the Themes sub-directory ...

                ... And then waited ...

                ... And then restarted Radio ...

                And still nothing. I click the Themes button, and they are not listed!
                ??????

                Scott C. Lemon
              • Marc Barrot
                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 4, 2004
                  --- In radio-dev@yahoogroups.com, "rcade" <rcade@y...> wrote:
                  > When I look at your detailed description in Mozilla 1.6, I don't see
                  > any carets I can use to expand outline entries. I had to click the
                  > "expand all" link to see the full docs.

                  Outline wedges are rendered as CSS background images. You may have had
                  a problem in loading the CSS stylesheet, or your browser's cache may
                  be corrupt. Try deleting your browser's cache and reloading the page.
                  If this doesn't work, send me a screenshot directly, I'm interested.

                  > Before I do anything with the .root file, I'm curious about a couple
                  > of things: Does this tool run separately from the existing
                  > aggregator?

                  No it doesn't. enhancedAggregator *enhances* Radio's aggregator by
                  adding support for other syndication formats or RSS 2.0 namespace
                  defined modules.

                  The only fully implemented extension so far is ENT 1.0 topics support.
                  It both creates a topics table in the aggregator's stories table for
                  each story with topics in it, and updates the display of the story in
                  Radio's News desktop website page so that topics are listed at the end
                  of the story, with links to their cloud server (that is if the
                  displayTopics option is checked in the tool's preferences).

                  The rest is up to you :-) I hope someone will start working on the
                  skeleton Atom driver I've placed in the tool. There is also a skeleton
                  ESF driver.

                  > Also, how is the source licensed?

                  I hereby grant you and all volunteer developers the right to do
                  whatever you wish with the code, for any use conceivable.

                  If you implement other drivers, and are willing to release them to the
                  community, I will give you access to a webEdit server so that you may
                  update the common release.

                  If you somehow manage to damage your Radio installation with the tool,
                  which is unlikely, you're the only one responsible, though I
                  will try to help you as best as I can.

                  Fair enough ?

                  Marc
                • Rogers Cadenhead
                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 4, 2004
                    --- "Scott C. Lemon" <Scott.Lemon@...>
                    wrote:
                    > How do I get Radio to recognize new Themes?

                    Radio recognizes themes automatically, as long as they
                    are saved in the Themes folder as .fttb files. If you
                    are downloading themes that have been archived (Bryan
                    Bell puts his in a .SIT archive, for instance), I
                    think you have to unpack them before saving them in
                    the folder.

                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 4, 2004
                      --- "Scott C. Lemon" <Scott.Lemon@...>
                      wrote:
                      > 1. I now have a site at {mysite}.Manilasites.com,
                      > and the new site at
                      > http://radio.weblogs.com/{mynum}/ ... How do I
                      > enable or configure
                      > upstreaming to both of these sites?

                      The Manila-Blogger Bridge tool can be used to publish
                      a Radio category to a Manila weblog:

                      http://radio.userland.com/userGuide/reference/tools/manilaBloggerBridgeTool

                      I'm not aware of a way to publish an entire weblog to
                      Radio and Manila simultaneously.

                      > 2. I also want to individually configure each
                      > "Category" to it's own FTP
                      > location. Where do I configure this?

                      Each folder under www can have its own #upstream.xml
                      file that dictates where, and how, it will be
                      upstreamed (or that it will not upstream at all).

                      I should put the upstreaming chapter of Radio UserLand
                      Kick Start online, because I think it's the software's
                      strongest selling point. I wrote an article about
                      using #upstream.xml here:

                      http://cadenhead.org/workbench/stories/2003/01/29/publishingFilesToASecondServer.html

                      > 3. I want to apply unique Themes on a per-Category
                      > basis ... Where do I
                      > configure this?

                      When you create or edit a category, one of the options
                      enables a theme to be chosen.

                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 4, 2004
                        --- Marc Barrot <info@...> wrote:
                        > No it doesn't. enhancedAggregator *enhances* Radio's
                        > aggregator by
                        > adding support for other syndication formats or RSS
                        > 2.0 namespace
                        > defined modules.

                        How does it hook to the existing architecture --
                        through callbacks or by editing existing code?

                        > Fair enough ?

                        Sure. I'm just leery of installing something that
                        extends Radio's aggregator or weblog editor until I
                        know they will get along with each other.
                      • Rogers Cadenhead
                        Message 11 of 22 , Mar 4, 2004
                          --- "Scott C. Lemon" <Scott.Lemon@...>
                          wrote:
                          > Is there a tool to create new Themes in this format?

                          The Radio application can create .fttb files. Open one
                          up and you'll see what files define a theme.

                          Also, you can create a theme by customizing an
                          existing one, then saving it under a new name on the
                          themes page.

                          Message 12 of 22 , Mar 4, 2004
                            --- In radio-dev@yahoogroups.com, Rogers Cadenhead <rcade@y...> wrote:
                            > How does it hook to the existing architecture --
                            > through callbacks or by editing existing code?

                            The existing aggregator architecture comes with 3 hooks to enable just
                            such features.

                            The first hook is the format driver [1]
                            The second hook is the RSS module driver [2]
                            The third hook is the storyArrived callback [3]

                            The module driver/storyArrived couple has a bug built into
                            compileService, which I documented here [4] as well as in the detailed
                            code tour [5].

                            I decided to release the tool after reading all the above docs (and a
                            bunch of others :-) and realizing that even though Userland at gone to
                            great length to provide a customizable architecture, the learning
                            curve to create something useful for regular bloggers was rather steep.

                            I hope this tool makes things a little easier, and will encourage
                            others to create new functionality for the aggregator, since Userland
                            left the door wide open: not a minor engineering feat :-)

                            Marc

                            1: http://radio.userland.com/discuss/msgReader$11975
                            2: http://frontier.userland.com/rss2ModuleSupportForXmlAggregator
                            3: http://frontier.userland.com/xmlAggregator
                            5: http://radio.weblogs.com/0104487/outlines/radio/eaTour.html
                          • Scott C. Lemon
                            Message 13 of 22 , Mar 4, 2004
                              Ok ... This is bizarre.

                              I have downloaded them into the \Program Files\Radio Userland\Themes
                              directory, and they are in .fttb format. I opened them in my editor and can
                              see the fatpages format. They are not being picked up!

                              I am running an upgrade from Radio 7 to Radio 8 ... Maybe there is something
                              about the upgrade that is causing it not to recognize these files?

                              Scott C. Lemon

                              > How do I get Radio to recognize new Themes?

                              Radio recognizes themes automatically, as long as they
                              are saved in the Themes folder as .fttb files. If you
                              are downloading themes that have been archived (Bryan
                              Bell puts his in a .SIT archive, for instance), I
                              think you have to unpack them before saving them in
                              the folder.

                              http://www.cadenhead.org/workbench

                              http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
                              http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/nhFolB/TM
                            • Lawrence Lee
                              Message 14 of 22 , Mar 4, 2004
                                What are the name of the Themes?

                                Lawrence

                              • Scott C. Lemon
                                Message 15 of 22 , Mar 4, 2004
                                  Here are the ones that I added:

                                  hazardAreaRevisited16.fttb
                                  basicBlog11.fttb
                                  transmitter12.fttb

                                  My theme on my web site was based on the hazard theme, with bits and pieces
                                  taken from elsewhere ...

                                  Scott C. Lemon

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Mar 4, 2004
                                    Radio and Manila themes use different data formats, so they aren`t currently
                                    interchangable.

                                    Lawrence

                                  • Scott C. Lemon
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Mar 9, 2004
                                      Lawrence,

                                      I had somehow pulled these themes into Radio 7 and then made changes to get
                                      to my current theme ...

                                      Can you please offer some suggestions on how I can get my theme from Radio 7
                                      to Radio 8? Is there a sub-directory where this is stored in Radio 7?

                                      Scott C. Lemon

                                      Radio and Manila themes use different data formats, so they aren`t currently
                                      interchangable.

                                      Lawrence

                                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                                    • Lawrence Lee
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Mar 11, 2004
                                        You would need to adapt them to use the Radio 8 macros/template files.

                                        Lawrence