Bug - Trackback fails when post is not published to home page

  • tweezerman00
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2003
      Lisa (http://www.lisa-jill.com/) posted about problems she was
      having with Radio's trackback in Radio UserLand's discussion forum
      (http://radio.userland.com/discuss/msgReader$27229?
      mode=topic&y=2003&m=8&d=31,
      http://radio.userland.com/discuss/msgReader$27285?
      mode=topic&y=2003&m=9&d=3, and
      http://radio.userland.com/discuss/msgReader$27319?
      mode=topic&y=2003&m=9&d=3).

      There were multiple issues present, which I believe have been
      resolved except for one. In a number of her posts, this error is
      recorded in weblogData.posts.[postNum].trackback.outbound.urls.
      [url].errorstring:

      "Can't create
      item "radiocommentsManilaWebsite.#newsSite.radioHosting.trackback.use
      rs.0127252.114.trackback.inbound.urls." because "" is an illegal
      name."

      (User number 127252 is my Radio user number - in this particular
      post, Lisa linked to post #114 in my weblog.)

      Lisa encountered this error a number of times, but this error
      appeared intermittently so its cause did not appear to be easy to
      determine. It is not easy to look at trackback errors across a
      number of posts, so I wrote a macro to dump a list of all posts with
      trackback error messages and some detail about those posts.

      This macro is available at:
      http://tweezerman.home.mindspring.com/blog/gems/trackbackErrors.txt

      Recommended usage: Place trackbackErrors.txt file
      in /www/system/pages directory and browse to
      http://127.0.0.1/system/pages/trackbackErrors to view the report.

      trackbackErrors.txt can also be placed in the /www directory. File
      will be rendered, upstreamed, and report will then be viewable by
      the public.

      Lisa downloaded the trackbackErrors.txt file and ran it on her
      weblog. She has also placed trackbackErrors.txt in a rendered
      directory, so that it is viewable to the public as well. Her
      trackbackErrors report can be viewed at:
      http://www.lisa-jill.com/basic/trackbackErrors.php.

      The trackback errors report for Lisa's weblog makes it easy to see
      what was common in every post where she receives this error: The
      post is not published to the "Home Page" (flNotOnHomePage is true).

      I have a link to this report for my weblog as well. It can be
      viewed at:
      http://tweezerman.home.mindspring.com/blog/trackbackErrors.html.

      I have two occurrences of the above error, and they both occur in a
      post that was not published to the "Home Page".

      It would appear that there is a problem with trackback pings if a
      post is not published to the "Home Page".

      Any assistance, suggestions, comments welcome.

      David Phillips (TweezerMan)
      The Tweezer's Edge 2
      http://tweezerman.home.mindspring.com/blog/