Beta: Cross-platform rich text editor for Mozilla/Radio

  • Jake Savin
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 12, 2003
      We've got a new feature for testing, one which Mac users in particular
      will be excited about: a rich text editor (WYSIWYG editing) for Radio
      with Mozilla.

      With this feature, Mac and Windows users (and probably also Linux
      users) can create and edit Radio posts with text formatting, lists,
      indenting, alignment and tables without any knowledge of HTML.

      Please help us test the new editor. Requirements and instructions are
      below...

      *** Requirements

      In order to test, you need a copy of Radio UserLand, and an
      installation of Mozilla 1.3b or later on MacOS X or Windows. The latest
      Mozilla builds are available here:

      http://mozilla.org/

      *** How to test

      1. Make sure your Radio.root is up-to-date:

      http://127.0.0.1:5335/system/pages/updateRadioRoot

      2. Download the following file, and import it into Radio using the Open
      command in Radio's File menu, clicking OK to all confirmation dialogs:

      http://jake.userland.com/gems/mozillaEditorRadio01.fttb

      3. In the window that opens, there's a script named install. Run the
      script.

      4. Wait a few seconds for Radio to write the editor's support files to
      your www folder, and then open your desktop website home page in
      Mozilla:

      http://127.0.0.1:5335/

      You should see the rich text editing controls. If not, then you may
      need to enable the WYSIWYG editor via this prefs page:

      http://127.0.0.1:5335/system/pages/prefs?page=2.3

      5. Type some text. Use the formatting options. Make a new post. Then
      send an email to the mail list with a link to your new post, to let us
      know that it worked. (If it didn't work, please email the list and let
      us know what happened.)

      *** Notes

      The Mozilla rich text editor works in Mozilla 1.3b or later. In the
      future it may also work with other browsers based on Mozilla, if/when
      support for Midas is included, but probably not without minor changes
      in Radio.

      The Mozilla editor is not exclusive of the existing WYSIWYG editor for
      IE 5/6 for Windows -- that editor will continue to work as before.

      We've tested on MacOS X and Windows. At this point we've done no
      testing on Linux, but it should work fine there as well. It may or may
      not work on other platforms on which Mozilla is supported. If you're
      running Mozilla with Radio on a platform other than MacOS X or Windows,
      please send email to the list letting us know whether it works.

      Mozilla 1.4 for platforms other than MacOS X, Windows and Linux can be
      found here:

      http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/releases/mozilla1.4/

      Thanks!
      -Jake
    • Steve Hooker
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 12, 2003
        Works for me, nearly. My Radio app is on Mac Classic, and I connect with a
        PC running Mozilla 1.4, all formatting seems to work.

        However, the images weren't written out to disk, had to script them out
        myself, I removed the 100% in the table in
        system.verbs.builtins.html.editor.wysiwygEditorMozilla
        As it was screwing with my CSS.

        Biggest worry is that RadioExpress doesn't put the text into the editing
        box, it adds the link and title in to the appropriate boxes, but no text.

        Otherwise FABBB-OOOO! You're the dude, Jake :-)

        --
        Steve Hooker
        http://www.cyberSaps.org/
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 13, 2003
          It worked as expected using Mozilla 1.4/Windows XP.

          http://radio.weblogs.com/0001013/2003/08/13.html#a1605

          Lawrence
        • Forest Oak
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 15, 2003
            Ok Jake... here's my experience.

            1. this is good enough I renewed my license. I think Moz is hot stuff
            and so is Radio Userland.

            2. it works. You did great. http://radio.weblogs.com/0103400/ (where
            I'm testing this)

            3. Of course there are always problems. these are not killers though...

            3.1 no blinking cursor in my edit page. If I start typing it appears.
            I am using custom css ... the last thing to draw in the page is the
            background color in the edit box.

            3.2 More of a problem, maybe not the radio/moz problem though... I
            have just installed RadioExpress! It should let me operate just as
            BlogThis! does. And, it almost works now... but selected text from
            the web page I'm blogging does not appear in the radio/moz editor.
            When it's posted, the selected text is published to the blog, but
            any text I've entered into the edit area before publishing never gets
            there.
            Again: the radio/moz wsiwig editor is working fine for publishing
            through radio outside of the two above experiences.

            Thanks,

            Jeff Imig

            --- In radio-dev@yahoogroups.com, Jake Savin <jake@u...> wrote:

            > In order to test, you need a copy of Radio UserLand, and an
            > installation of Mozilla 1.3b or later on MacOS X
            >
            > Thanks!
            > -Jake
          • Jake Savin
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 15, 2003
              Hi Jeff,

              Thanks for the feedback. I think the no-blinking-cursor problem is a
              bug in Mozilla, so there's not a whole lot we can do about it.

              As for RadioExpress, that tool Mike Krus not UserLand, so I'm not sure
              if there's any way for us to address the problem without Mike's help. I
              believe he's on this list...

              -Jake

              On Friday, August 15, 2003, at 02:54 PM, Forest Oak wrote:

              > Ok Jake... here's my experience.
              >
              > 1. this is good enough I renewed my license. I think Moz is hot stuff
              > and so is Radio Userland.
              >
              > 2. it works. You did great. http://radio.weblogs.com/0103400/ (where
              > I'm testing this)
              >
              > 3. Of course there are always problems. these are not killers
              > though...
              >
              > 3.1 no blinking cursor in my edit page. If I start typing it appears.
              > I am using custom css ... the last thing to draw in the page is the
              > background color in the edit box.
              >
              > 3.2 More of a problem, maybe not the radio/moz problem though... I
              > have just installed RadioExpress! It should let me operate just as
              > BlogThis! does. And, it almost works now... but selected text from
              > the web page I'm blogging does not appear in the radio/moz editor.
              > When it's posted, the selected text is published to the blog, but
              > any text I've entered into the edit area before publishing never gets
              > there.
              > Again: the radio/moz wsiwig editor is working fine for publishing
              > through radio outside of the two above experiences.
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Jeff Imig
              >

              > --- In radio-dev@yahoogroups.com, Jake Savin <jake@u...> wrote:
              >
              >> In order to test, you need a copy of Radio UserLand, and an
              >> installation of Mozilla 1.3b or later on MacOS X
              >>
              >> Thanks!
              >> -Jake

            • Forest Oak
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 15, 2003
                --- In radio-dev@yahoogroups.com, Jake Savin <jake@u...> wrote:

                > As for RadioExpress, that tool Mike Krus not UserLand, so I'm not sure
                > if there's any way for us to address the problem without Mike's
                help. I
                > believe he's on this list...
                >
                > -Jake

                Ok re the blinking cursor.

                re RadioExpress, I'm going to dig into the script... I notice that
                the page no longer passes the w3c HTML 4.01 test; getting it to pass
                in the first place was fun. I want to find out where & why the invalid
                html occurs in the process. It's possible that it's in the
                RadioExpress copy & paste (i.e., if I select partial html statements
                they will surely break the test).

                see... something new for me to work on.

                Thanks,

                Jeff Imig
              • rkratochwill
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 16, 2003
                  On my machine (Windows 2000 Mozilla 1.4 Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U;
                  Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030624) the tool bar looks too
                  much like the IE toolbar

                  http://radio.weblogs.com/0100146/images/2003/08/16/MozDump.jpg

                  and not like the one in your screen shot.

                  http://jake.userland.com/images/mozWizzy.gif

                  The link and font style "buttons" aren't doing anything, they are
                  just text and aren't clickable.

                  Rod