Re: [radio-dev] Wouldn't it be nice..

  • Magnus Kempe
    Message 1 of 38 , Mar 1, 2003
      I second Simon's suggestion.  Polling is a waste of resources -- it keeps CPU cycles from more useful processes and keeps the hard disk spinning for no good reason. IS it very difficult to ask the OS for notification?

      cheers
      Magnus

      On 3/1/03 7:31 AM, Simon Fell wrote:
      On Fri, 28 Feb 2003 13:04:57 -0800, in szf you wrote:

      If there was a way to mark a directory as not-changing so upstreaming never looked in there?

      For example, any folder that's archiving something from 2002 is never going to change. Yet every ten seconds my Radio looks through all those files to see if they've changed.

      Dave

      It'd be even better if Radio did no polling, and just used the OS
      supplied notifications.

      Cheers
      Simon

      Get 128 Bit SSL Encryption!
      http://us.click.yahoo.com/FpY02D/vN2EAA/xGHJAA/nhFolB/TM

    • Roger Turner
      Message 38 of 38 , Mar 6, 2003
        On Thursday, March 6, 2003, at 05:18 pm, Matt Mower wrote:

        > From the docs I can see it looks like xDoScript() should be called with
        > a piece of script, ala QuickScript, rather than with the name of a
        > script. Is that right?

        Yes -- eg the regex DLL (another good source of examples) contains:

        (*proctable->xDoScript)("sys.systemTask()", 16, &scriptResult)

        (in regcommon.c, download at
        http://old.scriptmeridian.org/projects/regex/download.html )