Code review for new aggregator

  • Dave Winer
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2002
      A couple of people responded privately that they would like to review the
      new parts for the aggregator that implement support for Weblogs.Com.

      Please, only install these parts if you are a Radio developer. End-user type
      support can't be offered for this at this time.

      ***How to test

      1. Install these three parts:

      http://radio.weblogs.com/0001015/userland/scratchpad/rss.serviceDidntChange.
      ftsc

      http://radio.weblogs.com/0001015/userland/scratchpad/rss.compileService.ftsc

      http://radio.weblogs.com/0001015/userland/scratchpad/rss.readService.ftsc

      2. Read the comments at the top of each to understand what was changed. Then
      think about how it works. Do you see any holes? Try to break it. (Note that
      I can't think of a way to break it, I have tried, and I've also burned it in
      here, it appears to work.)

      3. Post comments here on the list.

      If all goes well I hope to release this in the next few days, perhaps
      tomorrow.

      Dave
    • mikel_maron
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 31, 2002
        First thought - what happens if I shutdown Radio and then startup
        again hours, or days, later? There have most likely been updates
        during that time, many more than an hour ago. But since Radio wasn't
        running, it missed this update on weblogsCom.
        It doesn't look like serviceDidntChange makes any allowance for this
        case: Shouldn't it do a full scan on startup?

        Now I'm looking at serviceDidntChange and I must be missing something.
        I see that the first time, after starting up, and encounters a new
        changes url and it reads the file at that url. But when will it ever
        read the changes file again? Is system.temp.xmlAggregator.changes
        being cleaned out somewhere else, while Radio is running?

        -Mikel

        --- In radio-dev@y..., "Dave Winer" <dave@u...> wrote:
        > A couple of people responded privately that they would like to
        review the
        > new parts for the aggregator that implement support for Weblogs.Com.
        >
        > Please, only install these parts if you are a Radio developer.
        End-user type
        > support can't be offered for this at this time.
        >
        > ***How to test
        >
        > 1. Install these three parts:

        http://radio.weblogs.com/0001015/userland/scratchpad/rss.serviceDidntChange.
        > ftsc

        http://radio.weblogs.com/0001015/userland/scratchpad/rss.compileService.ftsc

        http://radio.weblogs.com/0001015/userland/scratchpad/rss.readService.ftsc

        > 2. Read the comments at the top of each to understand what was
        changed. Then
        > think about how it works. Do you see any holes? Try to break it.
        (Note that
        > I can't think of a way to break it, I have tried, and I've also
        burned it in
        > here, it appears to work.)
        >
        > 3. Post comments here on the list.
        >
        > If all goes well I hope to release this in the next few days, perhaps
        > tomorrow.
        >
        > Dave
      • Dave Winer
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 31, 2002
          > Now I'm looking at serviceDidntChange and I must be missing something.

          You're not missing anything, I made a mistake. There's a fourth part that
          changed.

          http://radio.weblogs.com/0001015/userland/scratchpad/aggregator.readAllServi
          ces.ftsc

          Dave
        • Dave Winer
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 31, 2002
            Good point. What happens is this:

            1. You won't see any news items from the channel until it updates. That
            could be hours or days.

            Perhaps the solution you state is the right one. If it's the first scan
            since Radio started, don't do any optimizing.

            Here's a question for you -- what happens if there's an error reading
            changes.xml.

            Dave