Interest query

  • Jeremy Bowers
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2002
      I've checked with the Freenet people; the XML-RPC support is defunct,
      created by a now-gone developer. Apparently, they are fairly anti-XML.
      Instead, they rolled their own (damned) protocol which you have to
      actually write support for, instead of just grabbing an XML-RPC
      implementation and going. There's not a damned thing in the protocol
      that couldn't have been handled with XML-RPC, but there you have it.

      My impression is that explaining the difference between building a
      library to use their protocol vs. using a standard XML-RPC library (if
      it's a matter of "effort" vs. "no effort", "no effort" will win every
      time) is going to run up against the usual open source "*your* time is
      free" ideology, where they'd rather re-invent the wheel and write their
      own non-standard protocol then actually interoperate with anything else.

      I wasn't quite this harsh on *their* mailing list, but I was definately
      thinking this. Freenet is written in Java; it would have been *easier*
      for them to pick up any of several XML-RPC implementations and write a
      few API functions then do their own from-scratch network protocol! *sigh*

      My time is *not* free of course, and the project has passed my threshold
      of pain for the level of interest I have in it. Initially, I had
      expected to be done in one night; it is now clear it is more like a week
      of part-time work. So, my question is, would anybody actually *use*
      Freenet syndication? Does anyone seriously think it would have any sort
      of success?

      My personal answers to both of those questions are "No, not likely, even
      if it's the best possible solution to the RSS problem." A day I can
      write off as an interesting technical exploration, a week is a too much,
      especially given the other fascinating (to me) projects I'm working on
      right now. Unless someone replies and expresses interest, or convinces
      me that people might actually use this on a large scale, I'm not a
      week's worth of interested.

      Apologies, this message is a little vent-y. But damn, it's frustrating
      to be blocked because someone went out of their way (in terms of net
      effort) to not interoperate with you...