Beta: RSS Explorer Tool

  • Dave Winer
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 17, 2002
      From the RSS Explorer page you can view lists of subscriptions from other
      Radio users. Each channel or "feed" has a checkbox to the left of its name.
      If it's checked, you're already subscribed. You can choose to subscribe or
      unsubscribe by clicking on the Subscribe button to the right. To see a
      different list, choose a name from the popup menu, below, and click on the
      View button.

      http://radio.userland.com/rssExplorerTool

      Please download it, read the docs, give it a whirl, and report back either
      here or in the Radio discussion group.

      Thanks!!

      Dave
    • Phil Ringnalda
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 17, 2002
        Dave Winer wrote:
        > http://radio.userland.com/rssExplorerTool

        I like. Not only is it easier than a channelroll in a web page, I'm more
        likely to see it, since I don't hit the actual pages of people with good RSS
        very often.

        I assume that there'll be a link from the aggregator, for people who have
        their subscriptions in blogChannel: mySubscriptions? Might also be nice to
        add a obvious link to subscribe to the person whose subscriptions you are
        browsing, on the tool page: yeah, most of us are subscribed to our own feed,
        but maybe not *all* of us.

        Like the query string interface (I'm about to link to
        http://127.0.0.1:5335/rssExplorer/?source=http://www.philringnalda.com/radio
        /gems/mySubscriptions.opml so that people can browse my motley collection),
        but it's a little disconcerting how the select list behaves when you do
        that. Not too hard to figure out when you first go to a page that way, since
        you know what you did even though the dropdown has someone elses name
        showing, but when you go back to the tool page days later, and it shows one
        person's name but the subscriptions from someone else's outside URI... would
        it be possible to add the ownerName to the select list when someone passes
        in a URI from outside? Either permanently or just while it's being
        displayed, not quite sure which would be better.

        Phil Ringnalda
      • Dave Winer
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 18, 2002
          >>I assume that there'll be a link from the aggregator, for people who have
          their subscriptions in blogChannel: mySubscriptions?

          Ooooh, that's a *good* idea. Not very hard to implement either. Hehehe.

          >>little disconcerting how the select list behaves when you do that.

          I just fixed this, and released. Refresh code to get the changes. Now, if
          the name of the owner of the subs you're exploring is not in the list, we
          add it and select it.

          I've got a few more fixes to do this morning and then I'm going to announce
          it on Scripting News.

          Thanks for the excellent feedback Phil.

          Dave
        • Dave Winer
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 18, 2002
            I just released a new beta, version 0.92.

            Change notes are here:

            http://radio.userland.com/rssExplorerTool#10180240052AmByDw

            Dave
          • Dave Seidel
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 18, 2002
              Very cool, Dave.

              One issue I just saw: I went to the tool's page and told it to show my
              Jenny Levine's subscriptions. When it redrew the page after retrieving
              the data, I got an error message -- sorry, I didn't capture it exactly,
              but it had to do with a missing table or symbol "xmlurl". When I went
              back to the tool's page from the Tool menu, it was fine, and Jenny's
              subscriptions are there now.

              - Dave

              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 18, 2002
                Dave, thanks for the report, I was able to reproduce and fix..

                Refresh code from the RSS Explorer sub-menu of the Tools menu to get the
                latest.

                Dave

                > One issue I just saw: I went to the tool's page and told it to show my
                > Jenny Levine's subscriptions. When it redrew the page after retrieving
                > the data, I got an error message -- sorry, I didn't capture it exactly,
                > but it had to do with a missing table or symbol "xmlurl". When I went
                > back to the tool's page from the Tool menu, it was fine, and Jenny's
                > subscriptions are there now.
                >
                > - Dave

              • Doug Kaye
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 18, 2002
                  When looking at my own subscriptions using RSSExplorer, I notice that some
                  appear un-checked as though I don't actually subscribe to them. I *think* I
                  has to do with whether the RSS URL contains arguments. If so, RSSExplorer
                  shows them un-checked. For example, here's a Meerkat feed:

                  http://meerkat.oreillynet.com/?c=1198&t=ALL&_fl=rss10

                  I'm subscribed to it, but it appears un-checked on the RSSExplorer page.

                  ...doug

                  Doug Kaye
                  doug@...
                  www.rds.com

                • Dave Seidel
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 18, 2002
                    Cool, that did it.

                    - Dave

                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 18, 2002
                      I'm seeing the same thing with several of my subscriptions, but none of
                      the unchecked ones appear to have arguments in the URLs -- in fact, none
                      of them do. For example, "Jon's Radio" is unchecked in my own
                      subscription list, and the URL is
                      http://weblog.infoworld.com/udell/rss.xml.

                      - Dave

                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 18, 2002
                        Interesting, Dave. I, too, subscribe to Jon's weblog, but via a different
                        http://www.w3.org/2000/06/webdata/xslt?xslfile=http://weblog.infoworld.com/u
                        dell/gems/longFeed.xml&xmlfile=http://weblog.infoworld.com/udell/rss.xml&tra
                        nsform=Submit

                        (I like yours better. :-)

                        Note that the URL above does contain arguments and, as in your case, it
                        appears unchecked in my RSSExplorer table. Perhaps it has something to do
                        with the target rather than the URL?

                        ...doug

                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 18, 2002
                          The test it uses is if aggregatorData.services.[url] is defined.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 18, 2002
                            The arguments have nothing to do with it.

                            > Interesting, Dave. I, too, subscribe to Jon's weblog, but via a different

                            http://www.w3.org/2000/06/webdata/xslt?xslfile=http://weblog.infoworld.com/u

                            dell/gems/longFeed.xml&xmlfile=http://weblog.infoworld.com/udell/rss.xml&tra
                            > nsform=Submit
                            >
                            > (I like yours better. :-)
                            >
                            > Note that the URL above does contain arguments and, as in your case, it
                            > appears unchecked in my RSSExplorer table. Perhaps it has something to do
                            > with the target rather than the URL?
                            >
                            > ...doug

                          • Gary Petersen
                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 18, 2002
                              --- In radio-dev@y..., "Dave Winer" <dave@u...> wrote:

                              1. The list includes just the name. It would be helpful, I think,
                              to include the name of the person's weblog and their weblog tagline
                              or short description. Reason being, I'd like to surf the aggregator
                              lists of people whose weblogs I read and whose interests are close
                              to or far from my own.

                              2. It would be useful to search the people names, weblog names, and
                              weblog tagline names for keywords to help me narrow a search. For
                              example, if I were interested in looking through the lists of people
                              who wrote from a Christian perspective, I could search on Christian
                              or religion.

                              3. Also, there ought to be a pref to enable my aggregator list to be
                              made avaialble to others, with the default set to NO, so you don't
                              have to enable them all by email.

                              4. Being able to sort the view results would be helpful.

                              Looks like winner, though I'm already adding news sources and I
                              spend too much time scanning my aggregator as it is! <g>

                              > From the RSS Explorer page you can view lists of subscriptions
                              > from other Radio users. Each channel or "feed" has a checkbox
                              > to the left of its name.

                              Gary Petersen
                              http://gary.countrykeepers.com