Re: [radio-dev] Suggestion: Amber Alert XML Feed

  • Bill Humphries
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 18, 2002
      On Sunday, August 18, 2002, at 12:49 PM, gary_petersen wrote:

      > How about, as a public service, creating an Amber Alert feed into
      > which alerts about missing children could be distributed? I'd
      > envision this channel being controlled by these folks:
      >
      > http://www.missingkids.com/html/amberplan.html
      >
      > or another similar group so that this channel would only be used
      > appropriately.

      In California, and other states most likely, these alerts are broadcast
      through state-wide networks. In California, they are available at
      http://www.edis.ca.gov/bulletins/index.html. Not only are these the
      so-called 'AMBER' alerts, but information useful for people directly
      responsible for people and property such as CAISO power warnings, weather
      and seismology alerts.

      The problem I found reviewing the EDIS bulletins was that parsing them
      into useful information is non-trivial. In the past few days, you'll see
      that every country sheriff's office has posted a FLASH (highest priority,
      lives and property in danger which is the level at which 'AMBER' is sent)
      alert to the network. However, if you read the text of the alert, someone'
      s typed in "THIS IS A TEST" or something similar.

      An alternative would be to listen to an email channel for 'valid' alerts.
      Al Bouttrell's incident.com has an interface where you can subscribe to
      the various alerts EDIS sends: http://www.incident.com/edismail.html/.
      This has the advantage of filtering all the "TEST" flash alerts law
      enforcement's sending in the current hype over 'AMBER'.

      One then can set up procmail to listen for non-test incidents and route
      them into various alert feed services which one then provisions for
      various subscribers.

      Boutterell's got a list serve for people interested in EDIS
      provisioning/consumption, so I'd suggest taking the idea for the AMBER
      feed to them, because someone may have a feed ready for you to use.

      > With respect to Radio, I'd suggest a Prefs setting that would
      > subscribe the user to the feed and automatically route posts made to
      > the feed to their weblog, perhaps to a channel they'd select. I'd
      > do it as a Prefs setting to limit the potential for the user messing
      > it up.

      I think the alert services someone chooses to listen for are going to be
      driven by the user context, not to mention location. AMBER and CAISO
      messages are useless for someone in the UK, while notification of flash
      floods in Prauge are not particularly helpful out here.

      -- whump