Radio upstreaming to Frontier

  • mowerm
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 6, 2002
      Hi,

      I'm struggling with getting Radio to successfully upstream when
      Norton Personal Firewall is installed. It works sometimes but not
      others and it's really bugging me.

      I just watched Radio send ~580K to radio.xmlstorage.com only to have
      it report [Can't upstream because "Can't write stream because TCP/IP
      error code 10054 - Connection reset by peer."]

      Since my firewall rules allow Radio free access and make
      radio.xmlstorage.com a trusted host I figure there's got to be
      something odd going on.

      I could wait a lifetime for Symantec to get around to looking at
      this problem so I thought I would try something a little more pro-
      active.

      Being really new to Frontier I have no idea where to start looking
      for the code that responds to upstreaming requests. Can someone
      point me to it?

      Regards,

      matt
    • Jake Savin
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 6, 2002
        That error message is the result of a low-level networking error, so
        looking at upstream-specific code probably won't be of much help either
        in Radio or Frontier.

        Are you upstreaming to UserLand's RCS or some other one?

        Also, what OS are you using?

        -Jake

        On Tuesday, August 6, 2002, at 12:02 PM, mowerm wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I'm struggling with getting Radio to successfully upstream when
        > Norton Personal Firewall is installed. It works sometimes but not
        > others and it's really bugging me.
        >
        > I just watched Radio send ~580K to radio.xmlstorage.com only to have
        > it report [Can't upstream because "Can't write stream because TCP/IP
        > error code 10054 - Connection reset by peer."]
        >
        > Since my firewall rules allow Radio free access and make
        > radio.xmlstorage.com a trusted host I figure there's got to be
        > something odd going on.
        >
        > I could wait a lifetime for Symantec to get around to looking at
        > this problem so I thought I would try something a little more pro-
        > active.
        >
        > Being really new to Frontier I have no idea where to start looking
        > for the code that responds to upstreaming requests. Can someone
        > point me to it?
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > matt

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • mowerm
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 6, 2002
          Hi Jake,

          Thanks for the response.

          --- In radio-dev@y..., Jake Savin <jake@u...> wrote:
          > That error message is the result of a low-level networking error,
          so
          > looking at upstream-specific code probably won't be of much help
          either
          > in Radio or Frontier.
          >
          > Are you upstreaming to UserLand's RCS or some other one?

          Userland

          > Also, what OS are you using?

          Windows XP. Its a Dell Inspiron 4150 with a 1.6GHz P4M, 1Gb of
          Memory & 40Gb disk. Internet connection is via Motorola SB4200
          cablemodem running at 512Kbps.

          I'm using exactly the same copy of Radio (transferred over) as I was
          on my previous Win2K laptop. Mostly the same set of software too.
          The major difference is that I have broadband so I have added Norton
          Firewall.

          If I disable NF I get a good upstream every time. But with it
          enabled mostly the weblog home page won't upstream (I guess because
          of the size of the files, smaller files do seem to upstream).

          I have configured the firewall to give Radio full access to the
          internet and made radio.xmlstorage.com a trusted host (meaning it
          has full access to my machine).

          The upstream traffic to the server seems to go smoothly, I can see
          it streaming in the NF monitor, sending over 500K of data. It seems
          that the connection gets aborted at the point where Radio is
          expecting a response from the community server.

          I'm at a loss to understand what's going on. You're right in that
          looking at the RCS code probably isn't going to help, I was just
          hoping for some inspiration since a post to the radio userland
          discussion forum doesn't seem to have turned anything up, Lawrence
          seems to be at a loss, Google turns up nothing useful and I despair
          of ever hearing back from Symantec.

          There just got my weblog home page to upstream correctly on the 3rd
          try. No config changes, I just published it 3 times and the 3rd
          time it worked.

          This one has me stumped.

          Regards,

          matt
        • Jake Savin
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 6, 2002
            Hi Matt,

            On Tuesday, August 6, 2002, at 04:18 PM, mowerm wrote:

            > If I disable NF I get a good upstream every time. But with it
            > enabled mostly the weblog home page won't upstream (I guess because
            > of the size of the files, smaller files do seem to upstream).
            >
            > I have configured the firewall to give Radio full access to the
            > internet and made radio.xmlstorage.com a trusted host (meaning it
            > has full access to my machine).

            That shouldn't matter -- as long as Radio can make outgoing requests on
            port 80, upstreaming should work.

            > The upstream traffic to the server seems to go smoothly, I can see
            > it streaming in the NF monitor, sending over 500K of data. It seems
            > that the connection gets aborted at the point where Radio is
            > expecting a response from the community server.

            Your analysis seems correct to me. I suspect a bug in NF. Are there any
            sort of timeout settings in the firewall configuration? If so,
            lengthening them may help.

            > I'm at a loss to understand what's going on. You're right in that
            > looking at the RCS code probably isn't going to help, I was just
            > hoping for some inspiration since a post to the radio userland
            > discussion forum doesn't seem to have turned anything up, Lawrence
            > seems to be at a loss, Google turns up nothing useful and I despair
            > of ever hearing back from Symantec.

            Do you ever have trouble making other types of large HTTP requests, such
            as uploading pictures or files to a Manila site or Yahoo group using a
            browser?

            -Jake
          • mowerm
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 7, 2002
              Hi Jake,

              > That shouldn't matter -- as long as Radio can make outgoing
              requests on
              > port 80, upstreaming should work.

              Hmm... it's definitely configured to allow this and as I mentioned
              sometimes it works.

              > Your analysis seems correct to me. I suspect a bug in NF. Are
              there any
              > sort of timeout settings in the firewall configuration? If so,
              > lengthening them may help.

              I can't find any sign of a timeout configuration.

              > Do you ever have trouble making other types of large HTTP
              requests, such
              > as uploading pictures or files to a Manila site or Yahoo group
              using a
              > browser?

              So far no.

              In searching the web I have cast my net a bit wider and just started
              looking for any problems at all with Norton Firewall (and there are
              quite a few).

              It appears that it's privacy control system scans all outgoing HTTP
              traffic looking for sensitive data that is being transferred off
              system and stopping it. I'm wondering if that may be screwing up
              the upstream process. A longer stream of data means a better chance
              of something appearing that could inadvertently trigger the privacy
              filter.

              Since I want NPF only to protect my system against script kiddies
              I've disabled the privacy controls. We'll see if that helps.

              Thanks,

              matt
            • mowerm
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 7, 2002
                > It appears that it's privacy control system scans all outgoing
                HTTP
                > traffic looking for sensitive data that is being transferred off
                > system and stopping it. I'm wondering if that may be screwing up
                > the upstream process. A longer stream of data means a better
                chance
                > of something appearing that could inadvertently trigger the
                privacy
                > filter.
                >
                > Since I want NPF only to protect my system against script kiddies
                > I've disabled the privacy controls. We'll see if that helps.

                Oh well it was a nice idea. I've disabled NPF's privacy filtering
                system and I still get the TCP errors during upstreaming.

                Damn!

                Regards,

                matt
              • rpeck64
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 7, 2002
                  > Oh well it was a nice idea. I've disabled NPF's privacy filtering
                  > system and I still get the TCP errors during upstreaming.

                  Are you behind a DSL link? Is that DSL link a PPPoE connection?

                  If either of these are true you may be facing a problem with how the
                  ethernet traffic is being split into packets. You may need to reduce
                  the maximum transmissable unit (MTU) packet size. Using something
                  like 1410 works better as it allows for the various bits of network
                  overhead tacked on by routing, DSL, PPPoE or ATM switching.

                  Microsoft's Technet suggests:
                  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q283165&

                  You can also use the search words "XP MTU registry" and find tips for
                  the other MS operating system verions.

                  If the MTU is 'too large' the packets get broken up (more or less)
                  and results in a fair amount of retries. These errors are largely
                  hidden from the application making the call (Radio doesn't report
                  them). The most common symptom is just broken sessions especially
                  when sending lots of stuff.

                  Experience here was changing the MTU on a machine behind a firewall,
                  via NAT, across a PPPoE session *immediately* eliminated upstreaming
                  timeout issues in Radio. Your mileage may vary, of course.
                • mowerm
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 7, 2002
                    Hi there,

                    > Are you behind a DSL link? Is that DSL link a PPPoE connection?

                    It's a cable modem (which is different to DSL I think) but I guess
                    the same things apply and it's interesting you mention this since
                    I "fixed" my upstreaming problems by point Radio at a local proxy
                    server.

                    > Experience here was changing the MTU on a machine behind a
                    firewall,
                    > via NAT, across a PPPoE session *immediately* eliminated
                    upstreaming
                    > timeout issues in Radio. Your mileage may vary, of course.

                    I'll try this out straight away.

                    Many, many thanks.

                    Regards,

                    matt
                  • jazzpookie
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 19, 2002
                      Hey Matt,

                      As it has been a while since you first posted regarding your Norton
                      Firewall problem, you may have solved the problem by now. Still, I
                      thought I would pass along a solution that worked for me when I had
                      at least an issue that produced the same problems you've had.

                      I found the problem was not with either Norton or Radio but rather my
                      web browser (IE v.6 on Win 2000) configuration within Norton.
                      Explorer contains auto-configuration data that Norton uses by
                      default. I assume this data determines the parameters of Explorer's
                      acceptable behavior. Evidently, the data doesn't include how IE may
                      operate if called on or used by some other programs (such as may be
                      the case with Radio).

                      After having tried everything else I could conceive of, I was finally
                      able to solve my similar problem by changing the control access for
                      Explorer (under "Internet Control Access" in NPF) from "Automatic"
                      to "Permit All" and thus disengage the auto-config data for IE in
                      Norton.

                      As I'm sure you are familiar, this is done by simply highlighting
                      Microsoft Internet Explorer in the application list in the Internet
                      Access Control section of NPF and clicking on the "Modify" button.
                      There you can change the permissions by selecting the radio button
                      for "Permit this application access to the Internet" rather
                      than "Automatically configure Internet Access". By default Norton
                      should then allow Explorer to execute whatever it wishes. After
                      assigning the new permissions, click ok and close out Norton.

                      This solved the streaming problems for me. Whether it weaken's
                      Explorer's security or not I don't know but I've not had any security
                      issues as the result of changing the app's access rules in Norton. I
                      know that I for one will be looking at access control rules in Norton
                      in the future if I'm having problems with any internet applications
                      containing auto-config data.

                      I don't know if this info will help you. Even though it evidently
                      worked in my case, it still seems a peculiar solution to me. I do
                      wish you luck finding a solution for this nuisance of a problem if
                      you haven't already.

                      Bob Day

                      --- In radio-dev@y..., "mowerm" <matt_mower@h...> wrote:
                      > Hi,
                      >
                      > I'm struggling with getting Radio to successfully upstream when
                      > Norton Personal Firewall is installed. It works sometimes but not
                      > others and it's really bugging me.
                      >
                      > I just watched Radio send ~580K to radio.xmlstorage.com only to
                      have
                      > it report [Can't upstream because "Can't write stream because
                      TCP/IP
                      > error code 10054 - Connection reset by peer."]
                      >
                      > Since my firewall rules allow Radio free access and make
                      > radio.xmlstorage.com a trusted host I figure there's got to be
                      > something odd going on.
                      >
                      > I could wait a lifetime for Symantec to get around to looking at
                      > this problem so I thought I would try something a little more pro-
                      > active.
                      >
                      > Being really new to Frontier I have no idea where to start looking
                      > for the code that responds to upstreaming requests. Can someone
                      > point me to it?
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      >
                      > matt
                    • mowerm
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 19, 2002
                        Hi Bob,

                        Thanks for responding.

                        > I found the problem was not with either Norton or Radio but rather
                        my
                        > web browser (IE v.6 on Win 2000) configuration within Norton.
                        > Explorer contains auto-configuration data that Norton uses by
                        > default. I assume this data determines the parameters of
                        Explorer's

                        > able to solve my similar problem by changing the control access
                        for
                        > Explorer (under "Internet Control Access" in NPF) from "Automatic"
                        > to "Permit All" and thus disengage the auto-config data for IE in
                        > Norton.

                        This is interesting, I shall give it a try. I've had some success
                        by configuring IE to use a proxy server. Heaven only knows why it
                        makes a difference but it seems to. Maybe yours will be a more
                        logical solution.

                        Thanks again,

                        Matt