Jabber Framework .8

  • Jeremy Bowers
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 23, 2002
      Version .8 of the Jabber framework has been released. You can download
      at http://www.jerf.org/resources/download/jabber.root or update your old
      copy.

      The only major new feature is reliability, but I'd say that's a biggie.
      If the connection gets dropped for some reason, the framework will (try
      to) re-establish the main connection automatically. This is a necessary
      feature for long-term Jabber usage, and should enable production-class
      usage.

      Much of the design decisions were documented at
      http://www.jerf.org/irights/categories/jabber/ . This release heralds a
      major architectural change of direction.

      There is a nice new Prefs page using the Radio Userland prefs system.

      This is another nice place to start playing with the capabilities of the
      system. Pushing out your news aggregator stuff over Jabber should be a
      pleasent evening's hack. I'd do it but I have other stuff to do first
      ;-) Several (simple) event handlers are shipped, which could be modifid
      for your own usage easily.

      Any requests?

      (Next up, in leiu of any specific requests, is wiring up a couple more
      events (like disconnect), wiring up namespace extensions, and looking
      into the subresource and browsing extensions, which will enable RU to
      provide several types of services very cleanly. Needs 1.4.2 server, though.)