Re-installing on new computer (sync'ing, licensing, etc)

  • joelatone
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2002
      I had to send my laptop in for repairs, so I installed Radio on a new
      one. I did this by using the "re-install" installation option, since
      I had a usernum. However, this wasn't a true re-installation, since
      anything from my original installation that's "local" (not in
      the "cloud") is still on my old laptop.

      Questions, that mostly have to do with, "What's where?"

      1. Is there a way to update my local fresh install with everything
      that is on my old laptop? Can this be done from the cloud, and not
      requiring access to my old laptop? Or, are there things that are
      local that can only be retrieved from the old laptop?

      2. If I start posting from this fresh install, will my old weblog be
      wiped out and basically sync'd with this new, empty one?

      3. If I decide to keep Radio on two laptops, using the same
      usernum/weblog for both and being the only user of both, do I need to
      purchase an extra license, even if I don't use them simultaneously
      and only want it that way for convenience?

      Thanks, Joe
    • Andy Fragen
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2002
        > From: "joelatone" <latone@...>
        > Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 16:59:52 -0000
        > To: radio-dev@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [radio-dev] Re-installing on new computer (sync'ing, licensing, etc)
        >
        > I had to send my laptop in for repairs, so I installed Radio on a new
        > one. I did this by using the "re-install" installation option, since
        > I had a usernum. However, this wasn't a true re-installation, since
        > anything from my original installation that's "local" (not in
        > the "cloud") is still on my old laptop.
        >
        > Questions, that mostly have to do with, "What's where?"
        >
        > 1. Is there a way to update my local fresh install with everything
        > that is on my old laptop? Can this be done from the cloud, and not
        > requiring access to my old laptop? Or, are there things that are
        > local that can only be retrieved from the old laptop?

        From you old installation move all the files in the Data Files folder to the
        new Data Files folder. You should copy you old www folder to replace your
        new one.

        Here's a link to the official moving method,
        <http://radio.userland.com/discuss/msgReader$9994>

        > 2. If I start posting from this fresh install, will my old weblog be
        > wiped out and basically sync'd with this new, empty one?

        Yes

        > 3. If I decide to keep Radio on two laptops, using the same
        > usernum/weblog for both and being the only user of both, do I need to
        > purchase an extra license, even if I don't use them simultaneously
        > and only want it that way for convenience?

        This won't work as each copy of Radio would overwrite the cloud of the
        other. Look into the prefs about remote access. You need to have Radio
        running on a machine with 24/7 net access, set up appropriately to receive
        port 5335. There are many threads in the DG on this use Google to search.

        --
        Andy Fragen
        <afragen@...>