Re: [UK racewalk] Re. Racewalking under threat

  • P MARLOW
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2000
      Tim,

      I have an open mind about non stadium walks. It works well in the
      Commomwealth Games
      and if it keeps walking in the Olympics then it will have my support.

      Peter
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2000
        P MARLOW wrote:

        > Tim,
        >
        > I have an open mind about non stadium walks. It works well in the
        > Commomwealth Games
        > and if it keeps walking in the Olympics then it will have my support.
        >
        > Peter

        Speaking of the Commonwealth Games can anyone confirm the
        proposed course route around Wythenshawe Park for CG2002?

        I've heard various stories. One of these uses the main
        drive to the Hall, the road along the Western edge of the
        Park (I'm presuming this as laying tarmac here would be
        pretty offensive environmentally), to the "football" entry
        (also where the track is), along some currently grit paths
        (to be tarmacced?) to the 'carpark drive' and then somehow
        back through to the main drive. This seems to be c 2.5k.

        I am concerned about this lap as it corresponds in part
        with a traditional cross country course which could be ruined.
        I also think spectator/media opportunities are limited.

        But I also feel that an alternative venue - Platt Fields -
        is not only big enough to accommodate a 2.5k loop entirely
        within the Park (i.e. better legacy use), and mostly on
        existing park roads, and within 500 metres of the village.

        I would appreciate any information on the proposed course.
        Off-list is great, unless it seems to be of general interest.
      • Tim Watt
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2000
          Peter,

          The Commonwealth Games in KL proves just the point I was making. I wasn't
          there, naturally, but here (on BBC TV) there was no live no coverage of the
          20km and no coverage at all for the 50km or 10km! The reality is if it's
          not on TV it might as well doesn't happen as far as most people are
          concerned. I seem to remember Chris Cheeseman being very disappointed by
          the lack of recognition of the walks there (even though he nearly killed
          himself in the 50).

          This problem has to be solved without meekly complying with the uninformed
          views of those who want us out the way. Slinking out of the limelight is
          simply not an option.

          But, hey, who cares what I think? Anyone else?

          Tim

          If we want o be part of track and field that's were we should be!
          >Tim,
          >
          >I have an open mind about non stadium walks. It works well in the
          >Commomwealth Games
          >and if it keeps walking in the Olympics then it will have my support.
          >
          >Peter

        • Joan Powell
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 1, 2000
            To Chris Paul

            You appear to have the correct course which is to be used for the Race Walks
            admitted it is not easy for spectators in part at this present moment in
            time but alterations are proposed.

            The choice of the venue has nothing to do with the Race Walking fraternity
            but has been arranged by the Manchester 2002 committee.

            Joan Powell
            > > I have an open mind about non stadium walks. It works well in the
            > > Commomwealth Games
            > > and if it keeps walking in the Olympics then it will have my support.
            > >
            > > Peter
            >
            > Speaking of the Commonwealth Games can anyone confirm the
            > proposed course route around Wythenshawe Park for CG2002?
            >
            > I've heard various stories. One of these uses the main
            > drive to the Hall, the road along the Western edge of the
            > Park (I'm presuming this as laying tarmac here would be
            > pretty offensive environmentally), to the "football" entry
            > (also where the track is), along some currently grit paths
            > (to be tarmacced?) to the 'carpark drive' and then somehow
            > back through to the main drive. This seems to be c 2.5k.
            >
            > I am concerned about this lap as it corresponds in part
            > with a traditional cross country course which could be ruined.
            > I also think spectator/media opportunities are limited.
            >
            > But I also feel that an alternative venue - Platt Fields -
            > is not only big enough to accommodate a 2.5k loop entirely
            > within the Park (i.e. better legacy use), and mostly on
            > existing park roads, and within 500 metres of the village.
            >
            > I would appreciate any information on the proposed course.
            > Off-list is great, unless it seems to be of general interest.

          • Chris Paul
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 1, 2000
              Thanks Joan

              I now think the Platt Fields option is much much better
              even if there were no issue with the XC course.

              I will copy my letter to MCC and CG2002 to this list
              and some may consider it worth writing letters to
              the appropriate parties and/or the media.

              Best wishes

              Chris P

              --
              Chris Paul - IDEA @ @
              Innovation in Digital and Electronic Arts \ /