Olive Loughnane documentary on YouTube

  • manxharrier
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 2, 2010
      A must-see for all race walking enthusiasts is the recent RTE documentary on Olive, which has recently been posted on YouTube in 3 parts. It's a really excellent programme, focussing largely on her silver medal winning race in Berlin last summer, but also featuring many of her previous championship races and her development as a race walker. The emotions and physical pain Olive went through at various stages of the race in Berlin are brilliantly and vividly portrayed. The pictures of the celebrations immediately after the race make great viewing!

      The 3 parts are at

      Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6rIkmxGehk&feature=related

      Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IkpmhahFaw&feature=related

      Part 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2aFWSRlvMA&feature=related
    • Verity Snook
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 2, 2010
        FANTASTIC - how inspirational - great coverage.

        On 2 Feb 2010, at 11:52, manxharrier wrote:

        > A must-see for all race walking enthusiasts is the recent RTE
        > documentary on Olive, which has recently been posted on YouTube in 3
        > parts. It's a really excellent programme, focussing largely on her
        > silver medal winning race in Berlin last summer, but also featuring
        > many of her previous championship races and her development as a
        > race walker. The emotions and physical pain Olive went through at
        > various stages of the race in Berlin are brilliantly and vividly
        > portrayed. The pictures of the celebrations immediately after the
        > race make great viewing!
        >
        > The 3 parts are at
        >
        > Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6rIkmxGehk&feature=related
        >
        > Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IkpmhahFaw&feature=related
        >
        > Part 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2aFWSRlvMA&feature=related

      • mark wall
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 2, 2010
          Compulsive viewing! Every aspiring walker needs to see this!

          > To: racewalk@yahoogroups.com
          > From: verity.snook@...
          > Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 12:22:23 +0000
          > Subject: Re: [UK racewalk] Olive Loughnane documentary on YouTube
          >

          > FANTASTIC - how inspirational - great coverage.
          >

          > On 2 Feb 2010, at 11:52, manxharrier wrote:
          >
          > > A must-see for all race walking enthusiasts is the recent RTE
          > > documentary on Olive, which has recently been posted on YouTube in 3
          > > parts. It's a really excellent programme, focussing largely on her
          > > silver medal winning race in Berlin last summer, but also featuring
          > > many of her previous championship races and her development as a
          > > race walker. The emotions and physical pain Olive went through at
          > > various stages of the race in Berlin are brilliantly and vividly
          > > portrayed. The pictures of the celebrations immediately after the
          > > race make great viewing!
          > >
          > > The 3 parts are at
          > >
          > > Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6rIkmxGehk&feature=related
          > >
          > > Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IkpmhahFaw&feature=related
          > >
          > > Part 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2aFWSRlvMA&feature=related

        • Tony Bell
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 2, 2010
            Just watched it, very inspiring.

            > A must-see for all race walking enthusiasts is the recent RTE
            > documentary on Olive, which has recently been posted on YouTube in
            > 3 parts. It's a really excellent programme, focussing largely on
            > her silver medal winning race in Berlin last summer, but also
            > featuring many of her previous championship races and her
            > development as a race walker. The emotions and physical pain Olive
            > went through at various stages of the race in Berlin are
            > brilliantly and vividly portrayed. The pictures of the celebrations
            > immediately after the race make great viewing!
            >
            > The 3 parts are at
            >
            > Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6rIkmxGehk&feature=related
            >
            > Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IkpmhahFaw&feature=related
            >
            > Part 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2aFWSRlvMA&feature=related

            tony....
            Tony Bell
            ynotlleb1@...
            Englishman in Hamburg, Germany
          • Steve Taylor
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 3, 2010
              Manx Harriers are staging their annual event on March 6th, details can be
              found at http://www.manxathletics.com/manxharriers/Home.htm

              This event has been one of the major events in the UK race walking calendar
              for over 20 years, get your entry in and come and enjoy one of the
              friendliest atmospheres you will lever experience.

              The event is staged on a fast flat and accurate 800m road circuit that has
              witnessed more race walking world records than any other venue in Great
              Britain, furthermore the country's top judges are in attendance.

              For further details and entry forms can be found at
              http://www.manxathletics.com/manxharriers/MHopen06.htm

            • Tony Bell
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 10, 2010
                Hello from snowy Germany

                I should be back to England for a visit in April, whilst I am there I
                hope to take part in the RWA 20km championships in Victoria Park on
                11th April. Have any entry details been posted yet? I didn't see
                anything in the last RWR.

                bye

                tony....
                Tony Bell
                ynotlleb1@...
                Englishman in Hamburg, Germany
              • Drake, Andrew
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 11, 2010
                  Hi,

                  Please click this link for details of competitive opportunities from
                  England Athletics:
                  http://www.englandathletics.org/page.asp?section=1003§ionTitle=Race+
                  Walking

                  Andi

                  Dr Andrew Drake

                  Carnegie Director of Race Walking

                  Carnegie Annexe

                  Leeds Metropolitan University, Headingley Campus, Leeds, LS6 3QS, United
                  Kingdom

                  P: +44 (0)113 8123527

                  M: +44 (0)7824 482624

                  E: a.drake@...

                  The UKA National Centre for Race Walking

                  http://www.leedsmet.ac.uk/sport/race_walking.htm

                  http://www.leedsmet.ac.uk/sport/4796BF13645B4558A4DF542E86677331.htm

                  http://www.leedsmet.ac.uk/sport/AA85B2C2ED0D4DBF9D2E4A41DF7718A1.htm

                • Rayzwocker@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 24, 2010
                    Andi,

                    It looks like neither the US or the UK have much going on in July/August. I was wondering about the possibility of setting up some sort of US v. UK match during the summers for our elites (to the extent that we have any outside of your Jo Jackson!) or Under-23s. It wouldn't have to be a major production, but we are sorely in need of motivation and this would give our guys something to shoot for. Thoughts?

                    Dave McGovern

                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 24, 2010
                      Sorry, that was meant to be for Andi Drake only, unless anyone else has any thoughts on the matter?! The "no elites" crack was obviously not meant to offend anyone and was meant for Andi only. Just pointing out the obvious lack of sub-1:22/4:00/1:30 walkers at the moment, and hoping to try to do something about it on both sides of the pond!

                      Dave McGovern

                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 27, 2010
                        Got these results off the Athletics Australia website:

                        Women 5000 metres Race Walk Open

                        1, Kellie
                        Wapshott, AIS, 22:05.42.

                        2, Claire
                        Tallent, AIS, 22:47.29.

                        3, Regan
                        Lamble, AIS, 23:15.94.

                        4, Nicole
                        Fagan, NSW, 23:56.71.

                        Megan
                        Szirom, SA, DNF.

                        Men 5000 metres Race Walk Open

                        1, Jared
                        Tallent, AIS, 18:51.39.

                        2, Luke Adams,
                        AIS, 18:56.67.

                        3, Adam Rutter,
                        AIS, 19:13.05.

                        4, Nathan
                        Deakes, AIS, 19:25.25.

                        5, Dane Bird-Smith,
                        QLD, 20:10.40. (DOB: 15/7/1992)

                        6, Sean
                        Fitzsimons, AIS, 21:13.09. (DOB: 15/1/1992)

                        7, Brendon
                        Reading, ACT, 21:45.80. (DOB: 26/01/1989)

                        Chris Erickson,
                        AIS, DNF. (19:33.95 on 18th Feb in Athletics Vic. Champs)

                        Ian Rayson,
                        NSWIS, DQ.

                        Film of the Victorian 5km is at:
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc3OWazR_DA