Keeping the walks

  • Peter Cassidy
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2, 2003
      Keeping the walks An update on the position of walks in track and field championships.

      1. Cliff Robinson, Secretary of the U.K.C.A.U., will be proposing to his Management Committee the reinstatement of the 3000m walk in the Inter-Counties Championships in 2004.

      2.  Following my consultation - and a fair number of replies - I submitted proposals to the A.A.A. of E. on the position of race walking events in future A.A.A. Championships, indoors and outdoors, for all age groups. The presence of walks in those champs is now assured, provisionally with the following distances and entry standards; the entry standards will be reviewed at the the end of the summer season. (The fingures in parenthesis are the numbers who would have qualified on 2002's performances.)

      Indoors
      SM 5000m 27:00 (24)
      SW 5000m 28:30 (27)
      U23/JM 3000m 17:00 (11)
      U23/JW 3000m 17:30 (9)
      U17M 3000m 17:30 (16)
      U17W 3000m 18:00 (12)
      U15B 3000m 18:00 (9)*
      U15G 3000m 18:30 (11)*

      * dependent on the institution of such championships.

      Outdoors
      SM 5000m 27:00 (24)
      SW 5000m 28:30 (27)
      U23/JM 10000m 55:00 (9)
      U23/JW 5000m 30:00 (13)
      U17M 5000m 30:00 (7)
      U17W 5000m 31:00 (7)
      U15B 3000m 19:00 (10)
      U15G 3000m 19:30 (18)

      Many thanks to all who responded to my enquiries and especially to Brian Adams, who produced  the statistics about the numbers of qualifiers.

      Peter Cassidy

    • Pierce O'Callaghan
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2, 2003
        Peter,

        Well done on the below results!

        However I was just wondering why the indoor distances
        were moved up to 5k when time considerations was the
        excuse given to us in the past when they were only
        3km??

        Also i feel the UKA 20k should be held along with the
        Leamington GP and the RWA/AAA 20k held along with the
        T&F Champs as it would add more prestige to
        performances achieved over 20k, aswell as fulfill
        every athletes dream of winning 20km races entering
        the stadium from the road etc and this is the premium
        distance anyway.

        Only my personal opinions!

        Pierce

        --- Peter Cassidy <peter.cassidy@...>

        http://sbc.yahoo.com
      • Peter Cassidy
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2, 2003
          5k was marginally preferred (by the respondents) for indoors
          because, I imagine, it is slightly slower that 3k and might give the
          uninformed spectator more of an impression of walking rather
          than running and no-one really likes 3k races much, anyway.
          There is no chance of having the 20k in the T. & F. Champs; it is
          true that it might actually occupy less track time than a 10k (or
          even a 5k) with just a lap or two at the beginning and end, but the
          problem is in knowing when the end will be; at the end of a 20k,
          there may well be a period of 20 minutes with only one or two
          walkers on the track at a time, which is hardly spectator-friendly.
          The iterest in a 20k will all be outside on the road; by the time
          they get back to the track it's all over bar the shouting.
          (As your people have a tendency to win A.A.A. oF E. Champs, you
          are, of course, at liberty to have an opinion!

          Peter Cassidy
          --- In racewalk@yahoogroups.com, Pierce O'Callaghan

        • Pierce O'Callaghan
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 3, 2003
            I forwarded on the mail re the Canadian bid excluding
            the walks in the Commonwealth bid to Nathan deakes and
            his reply is enclosed,

            Any other Brits racing the Dublin GP please let me
            know distance and flight details asap. (only 2 50k men
            and 2 20km men so far!)

            Pierce

            >>>Hi All,

            After reading about the 2010 Hamilton CG bid proposal,
            I sent an email to Perry Crosswhite, ACGA CEO. His
            reply is below and I'm sure all will be very
            interested in his comments and thoughts.

            Nathan.

            >From: "Perry Crosswhite"
            >CC: "Simon Allatson" , "Keith Connor" , "Diane
            Gallagher"
            >Subject: Hamilton 2010 Bid
            >Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 08:38:24 +1000
            >

            >Nathan,
            >
            >Thanks for your email re. the proposed program for
            the 2010 Games in Hamilton. Thanks for bringing to my
            attention the proposed exclusion of walking events.

            >As an appointed member of the CGF's Evaluation
            Commission for the 2010 Bids I will be going to Canada
            at the end of this month. We also go to India which is
            also bidding for 2010 (the walks events are included
            in their bid). You can be confident that the proposed
            program for both bids will be examined in detail.

            >As ACGA CEO I can advise you of our strong position
            re. walks events. These events are an integral part of
            the Games athletics program and I have no doubt the
            IAAF would insist on the inclusion. The ACGA's
            position re. the 2010 bids will be significantly
            influenced by what is proposed for the sports programs
            for both bids.

            >Hope the above assists with your understanding.
            >
            >Perry

            ---

            http://sbc.yahoo.com
          • Martin Bell
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 4, 2003
              Peter,

              Thanks for your (and Brians) work on this. Can I ask for one, seemingly
              pedantic, change. That is can the references to the event in AAA adverts and
              event program be called Race Walking or Race Walk, as "walking" implys a
              gentle stroll round the local park.

              Martin Bell