Re: [UK racewalk] Re: Walks coach education

  • Martin Rush
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2003
      Dear all
      The UKA coach education scheme is predominantly about the process of
      coaching, especially at the early stages, with a reliance on the individual
      to ensure that the technical aspects of a particular event are
      learnt/developed through a process of mentoring from experienced coaches.
      For walk coaches interested in technical aspects of endurance development I
      would personally recommend tapping into the large pool of established
      endurance run coaches that exist in this country, combining this technical
      knowledge with advice and expertise from high level walks coaches on the
      specifics appropriate to walking. There is a need to develop technique as
      the young athlete develops and a need to have full knowledge of the
      physiological implications of the walk events at different age groups. The
      UKA coach education scheme aims to give coaches the ability to tap into the
      areas that they recognise they need at a particular time to take the
      athletes they are working with forward.

      Regards

      Martin Rush