IE Extension to read Racchabanda Articles in Unicode Telugu

  • Suresh Kolichala
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 25, 2005
      Hi all:

      you can now read racchabanda articles in telugu script from the very
      familiar web site of Yahoo!

      Here are the steps:

      1. Download the IE extension for "RTS to Telugu conversion" by
      following the instructions from
      http://www.eemaata.com/unicode/rts2unicodeExt.html

      2. Once the extension is installed, highlight the RTS text in an
      article, and then right click to select "Convert RTS to Telugu".

      3. If your browser is configured properly for unicode, the RTS text
      should be replaced with text in Telugu script. (For configuring your
      browser properly for unicode, please visit
      http://www.eemaata.com/unicode/unicodeHelp.html).

      Hope this simple IE extension adds to the pleasures of racchabanda!

      Regards,
      Suresh.
    • Sreenadh Jonnavithula
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 25, 2005
        Suresh gAru,

        This is great, works beautifully!

        Can I get greedy and make a couple of requests ?

        1. Is there any way the Telugu letters can be made bigger? Now they are much
        smaller than the English text they replace, and are hard to read.

        2. Is there any way to do something similar for Outlook Express email
        reading?

        Thanks

        Sreenadh
      • chavakk19
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 25, 2005
          This is really nice, highly creative :-)

          I would request all the people who can see unicode in telugu on
          their browsers to safely try this.

          I tried on XP SP2, It worked wonderfully.

          Thanks and Regards,
          Kiran Kumar Chava

          ps: There is no ending to creativity.
        • Satyanarayana Pamarty
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 25, 2005
            --- In racchabanda@yahoogroups.com, Sreenadh Jonnavithula
            <sreenadh@g...> wrote:

            ----
            > Suresh gAru,
            > Can I get greedy and make a couple of requests ?
            ----

            Hi Suresh:

            How are you? I hope fine.

            Can I get greedier? Will this work for mozilla? :-)

            I stopped using IE for the security issues that SrI Prasad ChODavarapu
            brought up on RB a while ago. I now can't see the telugu on
            www.sahiti.org also due to this browser's incompatibility to bitstream
            fonts(?).

            Thanks to you, I am already sold on unicode. :-D

            Look forward to hearing from you.

            Hope you are having fun!

            Thanks and best regards

            Satya
          • Suresh Kolichala
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 26, 2005
              Sreenadh Jonnavithula <sreenadh@g...> wrote:
              > This is great, works beautifully!
              > Can I get greedy and make a couple of requests ?
              > 1. Is there any way the Telugu letters can be made bigger? Now
              > they are much smaller than the English text they replace, and
              > are hard to read.

              Are you not using Gautami fonts, by any chance? The size of Gautami
              fonts should be same as the size of the English text (pothana2000 has
              a size that is one level down compared to the other fonts).

              In any case, you can change the size of the text you are reading by
              choosing the View > Text Size > Largest option from the menubar.

              > 2. Is there any way to do something similar for Outlook Express
              > email reading?

              It is not difficult to write similar menu extensions for MS Office. I
              might work on it when I get a chance. (first I want to replace the
              javascript in this extension with a faster java class generated using
              JFlex).

              "Satyanarayana Pamarty" <pamarty@h...> wrote:
              > Can I get greedier? Will this work for mozilla? :-)

              No. But I hear that Murali Nandula of sahiti.org is working on plug-
              ins for Mozilla for telugu input. He might also have something to
              convert the RTS text when reading a webpage too.

              > I stopped using IE for the security issues that SrI Prasad
              > ChODavarapu brought up on RB a while ago.

              I myself am not a huge fan of IE, but I believe that the IE with
              Windows XP SP2 is much safer. It has a lot of security enhancements
              that fixed the ActiveX vulnerabilities that were often found in older
              versions of IE. A version with those enhancements is also available
              for Windows 2000 from microsoft site.

              #
              yUnicode zindaabaad,
              surES.
              #
            • Sreenivas Paruchuri
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 26, 2005
                Suresh Kolichala wrote:
                > "Satyanarayana Pamarty" <pamarty@h...> wrote:
                > > Can I get greedier? Will this work for mozilla? :-)
                > No. But I hear that Murali Nandula of sahiti.org is working on plug-

                Schade! Hope Muraligaaru comes up with a quick solution.

                > yUnicode zindaabaad,

                Hmm. Trying to run it since 3 years or so on my Win 98 SE. Even bought
                #aksharamaala# packet and
                installed.

                Regards,
                Sreenivas (another "Mozilla" user) Paruchuri
              • Suresh Kolichala
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 26, 2005
                  Sreenivas Paruchuri <sreeni@g...> wrote:
                  > Schade! Hope Muraligaaru comes up with a quick solution.

                  I know that he has a wonderful plugin for inputting telugu that works
                  on XP and Linux. I also hope that he makes a public announcement soon.

                  > > yUnicode zindaabaad,
                  >
                  > Hmm. Trying to run it since 3 years or so on my Win 98 SE.
                  > Even bought #aksharamaala# packet and
                  > installed.

                  Whether you use IE or Mozilla, you need to first replace your
                  Uniscribe library (usp10.dll) on your system with the that supports
                  Telugu. Actually, if you install the latest free version of
                  aksharamala 2004, then it will automagically replace that dll for
                  you. Also you might consider switching back to IE, just because it is
                  easy to make it work with Telugu unicode. I can help too.

                  I am still waiting for Kiran Kumar Chava to use his 'parapati' at
                  Bill Gates' Corporation to get:

                  1. An official IME* for inputting Telugu in RTS (aksharamala has one)
                  2. An official method for replacing usp10.dll in Windows 2000 and
                  win98.

                  I really hope that in few months we would be using IMEs on all our
                  machines and exchanging mails directly in unicode telugu, rendering
                  this IE extension redundant and useless.

                  Regards,
                  Suresh.
                  IME: Input Method Editor. If we use these, there will be no need to
                  write in RTS and then convert separately - The text gets converted as
                  we type.
                • chavakk19
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 26, 2005
                    Kiran Kumar Chava, unfortunately met with an accident on Jan 26th
                    and he has to take bed rest for two more months without going to
                    office.

                    So whatever he can do, he can only do after two months only.

                    iTlu

                    Kiran Kumar Chava (from bed)
                  • Sowjanya
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 27, 2005
                      Sreenivas Paruchuri wrote:
                      > Hmm. Trying to run it since 3 years or so on my Win 98 SE.

                      I tried the procedures as per the message and am not able to see the text in
                      Telugu. I use Windows 98SE and not able to instal / run Unicode on my PC in
                      this OS.

                      Any suggestions regarding running Unicode in Windows 98SE ?

                      With Best Regard
                      Dasigi S. Kumar
                    • chavakk19
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 27, 2005
                        http://chavakiran.blogspot.com/2004/12/my-experiments-for-telugu-on-
                        windows.html

                        I tried it succesfully sometime back. wth the help of many.

                        you can see the procedure I followed in above link.

                        Instead of lengthy procedure to copy the usp10.dll, u can simply
                        copy it to programfiles/internet explorer folder and see.

                        Hope it helps

                        Kiran Kumar Chava
                      • Suresh Kolichala
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 28, 2005
                          "chavakk19" <chavakiran@g...> wrote:

                          > Kiran Kumar Chava, unfortunately met with an accident on Jan 26th
                          > and he has to take bed rest for two more months without going to
                          > office.
                          >
                          > So whatever he can do, he can only do after two months only.

                          Kiran - I am sorry to know about the accident. Hope you can get well soon. It is good that atleast you have access to internet to have some fun while you rest.

                          I have a couple of questions to ask you, though:

                          1. Copying of uniscribe library (usp10.dll) to "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer" doesn't seem to be working on Win98 and Windows 2000. My instructions were based on the discussion we had about Telugu Wikipedia (Anyone interested in Telugu Wikipedia visit http://te.wikipedia.org/ and contribute articles if you can).

                          2. I remember I got the link to the uniscribe library that supports Telugu unicode from you. Do you think it is okay to distribute this dll or this link publicly? Does it violate any copyright agreements you have accepted (when you got it from VOLT group, may be)?

                          http://download.microsoft.com/download/Typography/Update/2.00/%5b..]/EN-US/Voltsupplementalfiles.exe

                          By the way, I have updated my extension, rewriting the code using associative arrays. # chEsina paapam chebitE pOtundanTaaru #. Although the idea of using IE extension for RTS to unicode was mine, I must admit that the parts of the code I used in my original javascript was copied from the following website of Chandrakanth Injamuri

                          http://chandrakanth.250free.com/telugu_uni.html

                          When I first visited this site, I was instantly impressed by the idea of using javascript in this manner, although the code was unpolished, and not very efficient, and doesn't provide full support for RTS (for example, it doesn't support long vowels transliterated as 2 letters). It was due to sheer laziness that I copied his code and worked on making it 1) support full RTS 2) more efficient 3) and process sunna context-sensitively. Since then, I rewrote the entire code removing any remnants of his copyrighted code, but I believe I owe him big thanks for motivating me to work on unicode.

                          Thanks are also due to Kiran, Nagarjuna, Padma and Prasad for their insightful input.

                          Here is the link to my source code for the benefit of anyone interested in using it for other telugu related purposes and/or to extend the tool, for what it is worth.

                          http://www.eemaata.com/unicode/rts2tel.source.html

                          I also have some java code for processing RTS, generated using JFlex based on the lex file that evolved from times of RIT. Also, I have been working on a perl script to convert html pages in tikkana font into unicode. If there is enough interest in Telugu unicode development, we all can start a project on websites like sourceforge.net and engage in a collaborative effort.

                          #
                          rigaarDlu,
                          surES.
                          #

                        • Kiran Kumar Chava
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 28, 2005
                            1. Windows98 and copying usp10.dll into program files/internet
                            explorer: I tried it twice in cyber cafes and once on bhaskar TLS
                            machine. It worked. Bhaskar can you clarify on this?; windows 2000 I
                            did not tried. My point is technically it must work, as iexplorer.exe
                            will search first program files/internet explorer and then system32 or
                            whatever it is. can you try it again on a fresh machine and let me
                            know.

                            Even it did not worked, somebody wrote a batch file (is it you?) whch
                            tweaks the permissons and copies easily without any reboots to command
                            line modes.

                            2. copy right: I am not a lawer; And my answer here is solely mine, it
                            has nothing to do with my company So the answer is

                            " I read the EULA agreement, there it doesn't say anything like "you
                            have to use this software for only VOLT fonts", instead it says

                            Installation and use. You may install and use copies of the Product
                            on computers residing on your premises for the purpose of adding
                            OpenType layout tables to TrueType and OpenType fonts, editing those
                            tables and testing the resulting fonts.

                            Also surprisingly the licence allows us

                            "to distribute freely one time to another computer"

                            So I guess we can go ahead and share the link without any voilations.

                            3. all the best for yor sourceforge efforts. Hope we will transfer all
                            these technical details ? to that mailing list next time without
                            bothering rb poets, telugaites etc...
                          • gowrabattini
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 1, 2005
                              Hi,

                              I modified Suresh's script (rts2tel.html) to display numbers in
                              Telugu. I requested Jampala garu to upload it to files area.
                              Interested ones can replace the original file (located at C:\Program
                              Files\RTS2Unicode) with this one.

                              Thanks,
                              GangaPrasad

                              --- In racchabanda@yahoogroups.com, "Suresh Kolichala"
                            • gangaprasad@email.com
                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 1, 2005
                                Suresh,

                                The source of Java script you specified in this post is different from the one came with installation. Based on the installed file (rts2tel.html), I added code to encode numerics to Telugu unicode numerics. I requested Jampala garu to upload it. Can you merge those additions to the one you mentioned in this post ?
                                Thanks,
                                GangaPrasad

                                Message 15 of 16 , Mar 1, 2005
                                  From: "Suresh Kolichala" <suresh_kolichala@...>

                                  > 1. Copying of uniscribe library (usp10.dll) to "C:\Program
                                  > Files\Internet Explorer" doesn't seem to be working on Win98 and
                                  > Windows 2000. My instructions were based on the discussion we had

                                  I did not tried on 98, but I did make it work on Win2000 (long time back in 2001)
                                  What I observed with this was - on Win2000, Telugu script is not directly supported you need to mock it to invoke Telugu rendering. The way I did - in my document (I used WordPad which is uniscribe enabled and Word was not at that time; I used to keep all poems by Ramamohana Rao and Suprabha in telugu unicode) I had one word in Hindi (at the end of my document) and then had telugu. Win2000 by default supports Hindi and Tamil only.

                                  And usp10.dll version should be more than 1.4xxx for Win2k.

                                  And I have a OTL telugu font (some of you guys know from my past postings from early 2002), now I feel people are ready to move forward with unicode / OTL solution for these complex scripts. I'm willing to give the OTL layout source code (some guy asked me and said he will use it foe commercial puspose, so I did not responded to him), if they are willing to develop free OTL fonts. I want to see some one to develop fonts in bapu/ramana writing style.

                                  GangaPrasad

                                  Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
                                  http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm
                                • Suresh Kolichala
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Mar 1, 2005
                                    Ganga Prasad - Thanks for your update. I am not sure of the
                                    desirability of translating all numbers to telugu digits. I think we
                                    need a special symbol to indicate that the user really want to
                                    convert the numbers into telugu digits.

                                    I urge everyone to download the latest package from:

                                    http://www.eemaata.com/unicode/rts2unicodeExt.html

                                    and reinstall the IE extension, as the new code is faster and doesn't
                                    have any copyrighted code.

                                    Regards,
                                    Suresh.