Re: [qy700] Re: Help with QY700 sequencing external modules

  • Tony Marron
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2011
      I'm always amazed at the time people put in here to help especially Leslie thanks for your time and best wishes for the new year to everybody keep up the playing - Tony

      Sent from my iPhone

      On 31 Dec 2010, at 18:54, "patrickh2078" <patrickh2078@...> wrote:

      > Leslie,
      >
      > First of all, allow me to thank you for such prompt response. I’m truly grateful while reading your constructive comments.
      >
      > Will look into this as suggested, and will let you know about my solution results. You say and I quote : "I have my master keyboard hooked up to the MIDI IN A and OUT A of the QY700."
      >
      > then you conclude : "In my own set-up, I actually run the QY's MIDI OUT B to a midi patchbay, and then hook all my external synths up to the patchbay's OUTs."
      >
      > This gives me fair amount of optimism and will try this tomorrow with great interest.
      >
      > Allow me to also wish you all the best for 2011.
      >
      > Sincely in QY700,
      > Patrick
      >

      > --- In qy700@yahoogroups.com, LESLIE LAWRENSON <leslawrenson@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> Hi.
      >> Getting your midi settings right can be a real pain in the ass. We've all been where you are now, my friend!
      >>
      >> You say that the QY700 is recording midi information from your master keyboard, so it's clear that you have the MIDI IN set correctly. The problem appears to be in either (a) the QY700 sending midi messages out to your external synths, or (b) your external synths receiving the midi messages.
      >> To try to get to the bottom of this, I'd highly recommend that you use only two synths for the time being (until you work out what's going on), as this will simplify matters.
      >> So, keep your master keyboard plugged into the QY700 to send messages, and run the MIDI OUT to another synth keyboard/module. What I do, is I have my master keyboard hooked up to the MIDI IN A and OUT A of the QY700. Make sure that you turn the LOCAL in your keyboard to OFF, otherwise you won't be able to hear the sounds play on the keyboard, when you try to play back midi data from the QY700. Make sure that you have the keyboard patch set to the same MIDI channel that you are currently playing on the QY700. Now, you should be able to both record midi to the 700 and have the 700 play back those midi messages using the patch on your keyboard.
      >> If that is working fine, hook up the other external synth to the MIDI OUT B of the QY700. You'll need to set the correct parameters in the MIDI menu page in the QY700 (refer to the manual for help, as I don't know what the parameters are, off-hand). Otherwise, just keep changing the parameters until something works (which is what I usually do).
      >> Now - this is the key part, where I think you may be going wrong - make sure that your external synth is set to receive on the same midi channel that the QY700 is currently playing. Run a midi cable from that synths MIDI THRU to another synth, and see if you can get that one to play, too.
      >> In my own set-up, I actually run the QY's MIDI OUT B to a midi patchbay, and then hook all my external synths up to the patchbay's OUTs.
      >> Good luck.

    • patrickh2078
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 4, 2011
        Leslie,

        I was away from home, so forgive my late reply.

        Some period is obviously required from me to accept state of affairs within QY700 layout. One of the reasons for my puzzling approach is that keep forgetting that only "Song" and "Pattern" are my corner of attention when looking at external gear. But, alas, I kept thinking "Voice" is equal :-)

        Setup you mentioned - one that works for you, also gave my bliss as well. But now, I can no longer use Cubase as I did before with previous Midex setup. Hopefully I will resolve this.

        I take, some owners here also use Cubase or their preferred soft sequence as well. I won’t mind if you offer us your setup.

        More I use QY700, more I like it! I guess, this is no news to you, but I have such a good felling when using this machine. It works its magic and I refuse to look at any "limitation" that I would previously dismissed compared to soft sequencer. I guess, people forget how limitations on great hardware are often great inspiration, that is - if you are blessed with good ideas. I wish you all constant flow of great ideas whenever close to QY700.
      • LESLIE LAWRENSON
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 4, 2011
          Patrick

          I am glad to hear that you are finding your feet with the QY700.

          I've been using mine regularly for the past 12 years, and I never grow tired of it. I generally use mine in SONG mode, and rarely (if ever) go into PATTERN mode. I particularly love the ease with which one can carry out STEP sequencing, using either a master keyboard or the QY's mini keys to input the note data.

          Les

          I was away from home, so forgive my late reply.

          Some period is obviously required from me to accept state of affairs within QY700 layout. One of the reasons for my puzzling approach is that keep forgetting that only "Song" and "Pattern" are my corner of attention when looking at external gear. But, alas, I kept thinking "Voice" is equal :-)

          Setup you mentioned - one that works for you, also gave my bliss as well. But now, I can no longer use Cubase as I did before with previous Midex setup. Hopefully I will resolve this.

          I take, some owners here also use Cubase or their preferred soft sequence as well. I won&#8217;t mind if you offer us your setup.