QY700 Styles off eBay

  • Michele
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 13, 2007
      Just to make you know...

      I bought that CD from eBay
      http://cgi.ebay.com/YAMAHA-QY700-GIGA-STYLE-COLLECTION-CD-w-20000-STYLES-
      QY_W0QQitemZ200029958831QQihZ010QQcategoryZ64387QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ
      1QQcmdZViewItem

      Unfortunately, although there are 20000 styles, very, very few sound good on the QY700.
      Several styles have odd meters (i.e. 31/4) and have "broken phrases", styles that should be
      4/4 are in 3/4, 9 times out of 10 the programs/sounds are wrong....
      Korg converted styles play awful because drum tracks weren't correctly
      transposed to be played on Yamaha gear and percussion tracks were intentionally cut off
      from the arrangement. Roland converted styles play a little better but several drum tracks
      are not well transposed and several instruments are wrong or bad assigned. Technics
      converted styles play quite disappointing.
      Some styles directories report a "illegal file" input. i.e. those styles are unusable.

      I could write a book about the problems I encountered with this CD.

      A great amount of time is lost, loading styles via FD into the QY700, to realize that on
      20000 styles almost 100 - 150 are decent. But it's a very optimistic esteeem...

      In a word, please don't buy that CD. The time you loose searching for usable styles is not
      worth the price you pay for it.

      Cheers
      Michele
    • paul mccoy
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 22, 2007
        I bought the Giga Style thing.....It's been great !
        Well worth the money...No probs with patterns ( Is your Computer OK ? ) ( Is the disc OK ? )
        You have to sample patterns to floppy and it takes a little time, but just bring your QY next to your work station.   Some of the patterns are 1st class. I never expected them all to be great, that's unrealistic.     several of the patterns I have used for on an album after playing with the arrangement's and so on........................Bobby.

        Michele <mtornato@...> wrote:
[...]

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/hOt0.A/lOaOAA/yQLSAA/oWZylB/TM

        <*> Your email settings:
        Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
        (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
        mailto:qy700-digest@yahoogroups.com
        mailto:qy700-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Yahoo! Messenger - with free PC-PC calling and photo sharing.

      • Michele
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 23, 2007
          --- In qy700@yahoogroups.com, paul mccoy <civic2card@...> wrote:

          > I bought the Giga Style thing.....It's been great !
          > Well worth the money...No probs with patterns ( Is your Computer OK ? ) ( Is the disc
          OK ? )
          > You have to sample patterns to floppy and it takes a little time, but just bring your QY
          next to your work station. Some of the patterns are 1st class. I never expected them all to
          be great, that's unrealistic. several of the patterns I have used for on an album after
          playing with the arrangement's and so on........................Bobby.

          Bobby or Paul

          Perhaps this is not the right place to continue our civil discussion about pattern quality
          inside Giga Collection. Let's suffice to say that - according to mr, mumblyanalog - the best
          converted patterns come from Roland keyboards...
          I started listening to V-70 patterns. The directory contains around 100 Styles. Around 20
          of them are in 31/4, that to say thye're unusable. Almost 60 of them have drum notes not
          well mapped to Yamaha drums. 80 of them have the wrong instruments assigned to
          phrases.

          Do you think that this is "quality"??? Did I start with the wrong directory??
          For instance some converted styles can't loaded due a "illegal file" problems...

          Cheers
          Michele
        • paul mccoy
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 23, 2007
            Hi Michelle,
                              Iv'e had no probs with pattern compatability or 31-4 !!!!
            I wonder if you have a faulty disc or whatever....maybe you should contact Giga.

            Bobby / Paul.

            Michele <mtornato@...> wrote:
            --- In qy700@yahoogroups.com, paul mccoy wrote:

            > I bought the Giga Style thing.....It's been great !
            > Well worth the money...No probs with patterns ( Is your Computer OK ? ) ( Is the disc
            OK ? )
            > You have to sample patterns to floppy and it takes a little time, but just bring your QY
            next to your work station. Some of the patterns are 1st class. I never expected them all to
            be great, that's unrealistic. several of the patterns I have used for on an album after
            playing with the arrangement's and so on........................Bobby.

            Bobby or Paul

            Perhaps this is not the right place to continue our civil discussion about pattern quality
            inside Giga Collection. Let's suffice to say that - according to mr, mumblyanalog - the best
            converted patterns come from Roland keyboards...
            I started listening to V-70 patterns. The directory contains around 100 Styles. Around 20
            of them are in 31/4, that to say thye're unusable. Almost 60 of them have drum notes not
            well mapped to Yamaha drums. 80 of them have the wrong instruments assigned to
            phrases.

            Do you think that this is "quality"??? Did I start with the wrong directory??
            For instance some converted styles can't loaded due a "illegal file" problems...

            Cheers
            Michele

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 24, 2007
              --- In qy700@yahoogroups.com, paul mccoy <civic2card@...> wrote:

              > Hi Michelle,
              > Iv'e had no probs with pattern compatability or 31-4 !!!!
              > I wonder if you have a faulty disc or whatever....maybe you should contact Giga.
              >
              > Bobby / Paul.

              Hi Paul

              I've already contacted Gigastyle a couple of months ago, they know exactly what are the
              styles that doen't work but - until today - I've NEVER HAD a reply, nor a fix.

              I tried also to change several brand of floppies and floppy disk drivers, copying directly from
              CD to floppy on a PC instead of a Macintosh, but the results are always the same.

              BTW my name is Michele or Mike, as you like.

              Cheers
              Michele
            • Norman Weiss
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 26, 2007
                I got the Giga collection too. I have had both experiences, some good styles, some won't load, and some just are not good, and some have the same pattern in more than one section. Also, the organization is horrible, much duplication of names and not organized by category. However, I would buy it again because there are some styles and/or sections I really like.

                Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.
              • Michele
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 27, 2007
                  Hi Norman

                  Thanks for your comments about Gigastyle Collection.

                  Cheers
                  Michele