Migrateing from software sequencer.

  • fasciola2000
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 4, 2004
      Hi guys,

      Are there any here who have 'downsized' to the QY700 from a software
      sequencer such as Cubase? For what reasons? Is it working out for you?

      I have joined this group because I am considering heading this way. I
      used a QY100 a couple of years ago to prepare and playback backing
      tracks for a live guitar duo I was in. Found it a breath of fresh air
      compared to all the cpmplexities and headaches of using a Cubase on a
      Windows machine with a bunch of soft synths. But will I struggle
      against the limitations of the QY? I do have a bunch of OK external
      hardware synth modules to drive with it.

      Cheers,

      Nik
    • mrnavigator10
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 28, 2004
        --- In qy700@yahoogroups.com, "fasciola2000" <fluke@n...> wrote:

        > Hi guys,
        >
        > Are there any here who have 'downsized' to the QY700 from a
        software
        > sequencer such as Cubase? For what reasons? Is it working out for
        you?

        > I have joined this group because I am considering heading this
        way. I
        > used a QY100 a couple of years ago to prepare and playback backing
        > tracks for a live guitar duo I was in. Found it a breath of fresh
        air
        > compared to all the cpmplexities and headaches of using a Cubase
        on a
        > Windows machine with a bunch of soft synths. But will I struggle
        > against the limitations of the QY? I do have a bunch of OK
        external
        > hardware synth modules to drive with it.
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Nik

        Hi Nik

        You answer your own question mate .." a breath of fresh air"

        I have recently completly migrated from using a computer based
        recoding, processing and general VSt environment because I found
        my system unreliable, lack luster and acoustically unaesthetic. Add
        to that completly transparent bad timming, unexplained fatal
        crashes and several embarrasing live ( dead) sessions.

        Call it a personal quirk if like but I DONT LIKE SOUND CARDS.

        Every card Ive done A/B comparisons with seems to colour the sound
        to my ears. Even without any apparent effects all my sound
        cards "seem" to apply sublte but noticable compression by default (
        Thats Emu Maudio and Creative cards)

        Yes it will take you a few more seconds to do edits with the QY 100
        or 700 but the pay off is exact timing and overall reliablity (plus
        it looks cool).

        These days with the majority of hobby or semi pro musiciens brain
        locked into the "Software is GoD" program you can accumulate a very
        reasonable hardware studio very rapidly by purchasing second hand
        gear or ebay and the like. As an example in saying bye bye to my PC
        I found myself at odds on handling loops and samples. I accquired an
        AKAI 1100s and a Yamaha SU700 for less than secondhand copy of
        Ambleton live.

        As it happens I dont mind if you use software or not and I dont want
        it to appear as if Im preaching, rather just relaying my personal
        experience and trying to help.

        Best N10
      • heymarz
        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 28, 2004
          Nik - I've always been a fan of hardware sequencers. I was an avid
          user of the Alesis MMT-8 back 15 years ago, but found it's lack of
          memory a problem. I ended up buying a separate disk filer from Yamaha
          that work ok, but it still was slow. Alesis was famous for buttons
          wearing out and when this happened on my Alesis drum machine too, I
          switched to Cakewalk, bought a laptop and problem solved. Except that
          I hated having to travel around with a laptop and I just don't trust
          Microsoft enough. Let's face it when your computer crashes you never
          know why, you just reboot. Plus when mobile, I never had a nice flat
          surface to use a mouse. I HATED IT.

          So I'm back to a hardware sequencer and bought the QY700 (ebay). I've
          had it three days now and love it. I'm still going through typical
          growing pains, such as how to copy measures, inserting controller
          changes etc. Even though I've only had it a short time, I know I will
          like it much better than a software/pc based system.

          - Mario

          --- In qy700@yahoogroups.com, "fasciola2000" <fluke@n...> wrote:

          > Hi guys,
          >
          > Are there any here who have 'downsized' to the QY700 from a software
          > sequencer such as Cubase? For what reasons? Is it working out for you?
          >
          > I have joined this group because I am considering heading this way. I
          > used a QY100 a couple of years ago to prepare and playback backing
          > tracks for a live guitar duo I was in. Found it a breath of fresh air
          > compared to all the cpmplexities and headaches of using a Cubase on a
          > Windows machine with a bunch of soft synths. But will I struggle
          > against the limitations of the QY? I do have a bunch of OK external
          > hardware synth modules to drive with it.
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > Nik
        • Nik
          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 29, 2004
            Since that post, I've acquired a QY700 (well used) and a Yamaha AW16G (new)
            to do audio and mastering.
            I've sold my computer software including Cubase and various plugins and
            VSTis. Sold my computer audio and MIDI interfaces.
            Keeping E-mu Ultraproteus and Morpheus and Korg Wavestation SR sound modules
            and Yamaha TX16w sampler.
            I've not yet spent much time with the new set-up due to Christmas and work
            commitments, but here ate the bottom of the learning curve I estimate my
            productivity is doubled.

            Nik

            > Nik - I've always been a fan of hardware sequencers. I was an avid
            > user of the Alesis MMT-8 back 15 years ago, but found it's lack of
            > memory a problem. I ended up buying a separate disk filer from Yamaha
            > that work ok, but it still was slow. Alesis was famous for buttons
            > wearing out and when this happened on my Alesis drum machine too, I
            > switched to Cakewalk, bought a laptop and problem solved. Except that
            > I hated having to travel around with a laptop and I just don't trust
            > Microsoft enough. Let's face it when your computer crashes you never
            > know why, you just reboot. Plus when mobile, I never had a nice flat
            > surface to use a mouse. I HATED IT.
            >
            > So I'm back to a hardware sequencer and bought the QY700 (ebay). I've
            > had it three days now and love it. I'm still going through typical
            > growing pains, such as how to copy measures, inserting controller
            > changes etc. Even though I've only had it a short time, I know I will
            > like it much better than a software/pc based system.
            >
            > - Mario
            >

            > --- In qy700@yahoogroups.com, "fasciola2000" <fluke@n...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Hi guys,
            >>
            >> Are there any here who have 'downsized' to the QY700 from a software
            >> sequencer such as Cubase? For what reasons? Is it working out for you?
            >>
            >> I have joined this group because I am considering heading this way. I
            >> used a QY100 a couple of years ago to prepare and playback backing
            >> tracks for a live guitar duo I was in. Found it a breath of fresh air
            >> compared to all the cpmplexities and headaches of using a Cubase on a
            >> Windows machine with a bunch of soft synths. But will I struggle
            >> against the limitations of the QY? I do have a bunch of OK external
            >> hardware synth modules to drive with it.
            >>
            >> Cheers,
            >>
            >> Nik

          • zazz_w
            Message 5 of 21 , Dec 29, 2004
              i dont think anyone would say the qy700 is cutting edge with the
              internal sounds but as a music sequencer/composer its a great
              combination...

              and i love the way i can just hit the off button at night and its
              there ready to go in the morning....never had a bug in all the years
              ive used it....could be the last word in hardware sequencers judging
              by the way things are going but im sure in time it will attain a
              certain classic status.

              kind of interested to see if there is anyway to overcome the floppy
              drive limitation which could be said to be a chink in its armour.

              Floppy drive to flash ram interfaces are an interesting devlopment
              that had been toyed with in the previous group (rip)..any ideas guys??
            • mrnavigator10
              Message 6 of 21 , Dec 30, 2004
                --- In qy700@yahoogroups.com, "zazz_w" <zazz_w@h...> wrote:

                > i dont think anyone would say the qy700 is cutting edge with the
                > internal sounds but as a music sequencer/composer its a great
                > combination...
                >
                > and i love the way i can just hit the off button at night and its
                > there ready to go in the morning....never had a bug in all the
                years
                > ive used it....could be the last word in hardware sequencers
                judging
                > by the way things are going but im sure in time it will attain a
                > certain classic status.
                >
                > kind of interested to see if there is anyway to overcome the
                floppy
                > drive limitation which could be said to be a chink in its armour.
                >
                > Floppy drive to flash ram interfaces are an interesting devlopment
                > that had been toyed with in the previous group (rip)..any ideas
                guys??

                I agree with you the sounds are a bonus rather than a major feature,
                Im using them as a rough pallet and instant harmony aid for putting
                ideas together before progressing to the intended voices over midi.

                I didnt know the floppy drive aspect was a limitation as Im a new
                user but I would guess your refering to size of the storage
                facility. Cant say I heard or know about suitable interfaces but I
                suppose a midi dump by sysex might be an option for some users. I ve
                done this with the Triton sequencer/voices and it was very effective.

                Bwest N10
              • mrnavigator10
                Message 7 of 21 , Dec 30, 2004
                  HI

                  This whole area fascinates me, its like waking up from the Matrix
                  moving back to hardware. I no longer need to live in fear that my
                  project is going to vapourise in front of my eyes or not load when
                  I come back to it after the next windows update. I would say over
                  the last two years a good 10 to 20 % of my work has gone KUUUUrput
                  in such a manner.

                  Working today on my first QY/hardware based project I was amazed at
                  the timing accuracy of materials which were recorded live and the
                  lack of "LAG" when playing live through a number sound modules. Over
                  the years Ive developed a "quick hand" to try and compensate for the
                  midi delay Ive always experienced with computer base systems.

                  Interestingly I imported a midi file from the QY to my PC based
                  sequencer which uses an EMU 404 asio driven card ( allegedly < 3ms
                  delay). The feel of the song was completely different to my ears..it
                  dragged, very interesting, perhapes it was the controller
                  information who knows and who cares lol.

                  Another bonus on timing is the accuracy of the midi sync with my SU
                  700 phrase sampler. TOday it was spot on with regard to triggereing
                  and I cant tell you how much of a problem this has been , so much so
                  I just could not use it with Logic or cubase(spit) .

                  IN the coming year I intend to use no VSt instruments or effects, I
                  have a lot and truthfullty Im not happy with the sonics of most of
                  them ( maybe I like spectrosonics stuff and steinburg virtual
                  guitar) ..perhapes its just me and I certainly dont disagree with
                  anyones choice with regard to the VirtualV hardware issue..freedom
                  rules.

                  Best N10

                • Mario Ruiz
                  Message 8 of 21 , Dec 30, 2004

                    I agree…I’m on day 5 with mine and the sounds are very Yamaha. I don’t mean that in a negative way, it’s just that I don’t think they’re stellar. But it’s a great feature nonetheless. As far as memory goes… About how many tunes can you realistically store on a disk??

                    - Mario

                    Message 9 of 21 , Dec 30, 2004

                      Wow… I’m coming to the same conclusions in regard to this unit (hardware vs. software). I absolutely love all the buttons. Big giant buttons you don’t have to be ginger with etc…  AND NOT HAVING TO USE A MOUSE!!!!

                      However my only glitch thus far is that I’m finding that when I “loop” a segment of measures that there’s a slight delay on beat one of the turn around. I’ve checked for any controller type events and there are none on beat one. Any suggestions?? Is it just me?? When I ask my wife if she can feel the beat lag she says no, but then again she likes everything I play and nothing ever sucks. It’s hard to wade through the bias. Has anyone else noticed this?

                      - Mario

                      This whole area fascinates me, its like waking up from the Matrix
                      moving back to hardware. I no longer need to live in fear that my
                      project is going to vapourise in front of my eyes  or not load when
                      I come back to it after the next windows update. I would say over
                      the last two years a good 10 to 20 % of my work has gone KUUUUrput
                      in such a manner.

                      Working today on my first QY/hardware based project I was amazed at
                      the timing accuracy of materials which were recorded live and the
                      lack of "LAG" when playing live through a number sound modules. Over
                      the years Ive developed a "quick hand" to try and compensate for the
                      midi delay Ive always experienced with computer base systems.

                      Interestingly I imported  a midi file from the QY to my PC based
                      sequencer which uses an EMU 404 asio driven card ( allegedly < 3ms
                      delay). The feel of the song was completely different to my ears..it
                      dragged, very interesting, perhapes it was the controller
                      information who knows and who cares lol.

                      Another bonus on timing is the accuracy of the midi sync with my SU
                      700 phrase sampler. TOday it was spot on with regard to triggereing
                      and I cant tell you how much of a problem this has been , so much so
                      I just could not use it with Logic or cubase(spit) .

                      IN the coming year I intend to use no VSt instruments or effects, I
                      have a lot and truthfullty Im not happy with the sonics of most of
                      them ( maybe I like spectrosonics stuff and steinburg virtual
                      guitar) ..perhapes its just me and  I certainly dont disagree with
                      anyones choice with regard to the VirtualV hardware issue..freedom
                      rules.

                      Best N10

                      --- In qy700@yahoogroups.com, "Nik" <fluke@n...> wrote:
                      > Since that post, I've acquired a QY700 (well used) and a Yamaha
                      AW16G (new)
                      > to do audio and mastering.
                      > I've sold my computer software including Cubase and various
                      plugins and
                      > VSTis. Sold my computer audio and MIDI interfaces.
                      > Keeping E-mu Ultraproteus and Morpheus and Korg Wavestation SR
                      sound modules
                      > and Yamaha TX16w sampler.
                      > I've not yet spent much time with the new set-up due to Christmas
                      and work
                      > commitments, but here ate the bottom of the learning curve I
                      estimate my
                      > productivity is doubled.
                      >
                      > Nik

                    • Nik
                      Message 10 of 21 , Dec 30, 2004
                        It is normal in song mode for playback to 'hesitate' at the loop point. Or
                        so I have read.
                        Apparently, it is a product of the design that Yamaha never overcame. I took
                        this into consideration when choosing the QY700 and it seems it would be a
                        minor annoyance to me during a composition, and of no consequence in the
                        long run.

                        Nik

                        > However my only glitch thus far is that I'm finding that when I "loop" a
                        > segment of measures that there's a slight delay on beat one of the turn
                        > around. I've checked for any controller type events and there are none on
                        > beat one. Any suggestions?? Is it just me?? When I ask my wife if she can
                        > feel the beat lag she says no, but then again she likes everything I play
                        > and nothing ever sucks. It's hard to wade through the bias. Has anyone
                        > else
                        > noticed this?
                        >
                        > - Mario

                      • Mario Ruiz
                        Message 11 of 21 , Dec 30, 2004

                          I would agree that it is a minor annoyance with not a lot of significance. However, when I’m practicing a solo, and I want to just loop the chords for practice sake, it’s difficult to not be thinking of this pending lag. I find myself thinking of it rather than then what I’m trying to accomplish.

                          - Mario

                          > However my only glitch thus far is that I'm finding that when I "loop" a
                          > segment of measures that there's a slight delay on beat one of the turn
                          > around. I've checked for any controller type events and there are none on
                          > beat one. Any suggestions?? Is it just me?? When I ask my wife if she can
                          > feel the beat lag she says no, but then again she likes everything I play
                          > and nothing ever sucks. It's hard to wade through the bias. Has anyone
                          > else
                          > noticed this?
                          >
                          > - Mario

                        • mrnavigator10
                          Message 12 of 21 , Dec 30, 2004
                            HI NIk

                            HOw about allowing yourself an extra bar at the start of the loop so
                            you can count in and get the feel or timing correct on the part you
                            want to accompany.

                            LIke emmmmph 2 3 4 bang into the accompanyment

                            Tried it works for me whiel composing anyway

                            best N10

                            --- In qy700@yahoogroups.com, "Mario Ruiz" <heymar@c...> wrote:
                            > I would agree that it is a minor annoyance with not a lot of
                            significance.
                            > However, when I'm practicing a solo, and I want to just loop the
                            chords for
                            > practice sake, it's difficult to not be thinking of this pending
                            lag. I find
                            > myself thinking of it rather than then what I'm trying to
                            accomplish.

                            > - Mario

                            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12951hk20/M=273541.5630596.6691732.22484
                            67/D=gr

                            plch/S=1705032401:HM/EXP=1104535196/A=2061551/R=0/SIG=11sr5b9n1/*http
                            ://laun
                            > ch.yahoo.com/artist/videos.asp?artistID=1001301>
                            >

                            > _____
                            >
                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            of
                          • Nik
                            Message 13 of 21 , Dec 31, 2004
                              Erm.....set a longer loop?

                              Nik

                              >I would agree that it is a minor annoyance with not a lot of significance.
                              > However, when I'm practicing a solo, and I want to just loop the chords
                              > for
                              > practice sake, it's difficult to not be thinking of this pending lag. I
                              > find
                              > myself thinking of it rather than then what I'm trying to accomplish.
                              >
                              > - Mario

                            • Nik
                              Message 14 of 21 , Dec 31, 2004
                                Yup, that's just the kind of thing I'm talking about.

                                Nik

                                > HOw about allowing yourself an extra bar at the start of the loop so
                                > you can count in and get the feel or timing correct on the part you
                                > want to accompany.
                                >
                                > LIke emmmmph 2 3 4 bang into the accompanyment
                                >
                                > Tried it works for me whiel composing anyway
                                >
                                > best N10
                                >
                                > --- In qy700@yahoogroups.com, "Mario Ruiz" <heymar@c...> wrote:
                                >> I would agree that it is a minor annoyance with not a lot of
                                > significance.
                                >> However, when I'm practicing a solo, and I want to just loop the
                                > chords for
                                >> practice sake, it's difficult to not be thinking of this pending
                                > lag. I find
                                >> myself thinking of it rather than then what I'm trying to
                                > accomplish.
                                >>
                                >> - Mario

                              • zazz_w
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jan 4 6:13 AM
                                  well it would be good to just have all the tracks in one place ready
                                  to go rather than ploughing through loads of floppies...and i dont
                                  know how lucky people are with floppies but they seem highly unstable
                                  and may not last long as a backup...best to copy to a computer for
                                  backup.

                                  i will see about using the midi sysex but im not too hot on that
                                  one...ive used midi to update operating systems on some of my other
                                  stuff and its quite confusing.

                                  > I didnt know the floppy drive aspect was a limitation as Im a new
                                  > user but I would guess your refering to size of the storage
                                  > facility. Cant say I heard or know about suitable interfaces but I
                                  > suppose a midi dump by sysex might be an option for some users. I
                                  ve
                                  > done this with the Triton sequencer/voices and it was very
                                  effective.

                                  > Bwest N10
                                • mrnavigator10
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jan 4 2:32 PM
                                    I think if you use good quality disks, keep em dust free and away
                                    from magnets and use a floppy head cleaner on your QY then disks
                                    should last for years. Also if data is crtical you can always make
                                    several copies ater all it only takes a few moments. I have floppy
                                    disks for other devices which are 15 years old and still functional.

                                    This should handle your sysex requirents if you go down that line

                                    http://www.programmersheaven.com/zone1/cat1265/4489.htm

                                    "It's public domain and includes Visual Basic source. Sends and
                                    receives system exclusive data. Can handle dumps greater than 64K.
                                    Supports Cakewalk-compatible request strings to start equipment
                                    dumps automatically Public domain, full Visual Basic source
                                    included. Requires Visual Basic Professional 3.0 to modify source."

                                    BEst N10

                                    --- In qy700@yahoogroups.com, "zazz_w" <zazz_w@h...> wrote:

                                    > well it would be good to just have all the tracks in one place
                                    ready
                                    > to go rather than ploughing through loads of floppies...and i dont
                                    > know how lucky people are with floppies but they seem highly
                                    unstable
                                    > and may not last long as a backup...best to copy to a computer for
                                    > backup.
                                    >
                                    > i will see about using the midi sysex but im not too hot on that
                                    > one...ive used midi to update operating systems on some of my
                                    other
                                    > stuff and its quite confusing.
                                    >

                                    > > I didnt know the floppy drive aspect was a limitation as Im a
                                    new
                                    > > user but I would guess your refering to size of the storage
                                    > > facility. Cant say I heard or know about suitable interfaces but
                                    > > suppose a midi dump by sysex might be an option for some users.
                                    > ve
                                    > > done this with the Triton sequencer/voices and it was very
                                    > effective.
                                    > >
                                    > > Bwest N10
                                  • Mario Ruiz
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jan 4 3:45 PM

                                      Does anyone know if it is possible for the packaged drum patterns to be sent out a MIDI channel to an alternate device (drum machine) instead of using the internal sounds??  This one has me stumped. I can’t find any reference in the book.

                                      - Mario

                                    • mrnavigator10
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jan 4 4:33 PM
                                        Hi MArio

                                        The drum paterns in the QY preset phrases can I think be recorded as
                                        midi information to a regular midi track (ie 1 to 32 ). If the drum
                                        voice mapping is the same as your external module and the correct
                                        Midi channel is set you should not have a problem. Ther amy other
                                        solutions I dont know of yet.

                                        --- In qy700@yahoogroups.com, "Mario Ruiz" <heymar@c...> wrote:
                                        > Does anyone know if it is possible for the packaged drum patterns
                                        to be sent
                                        > out a MIDI channel to an alternate device (drum machine) instead
                                        of using
                                        > the internal sounds?? This one has me stumped. I can't find any
                                        reference
                                        > in the book.
                                        >

                                        > - Mario
                                      • Fluke
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jan 5 1:21 AM
                                          Page 103.

                                          Does anyone know if it is possible for the packaged drum patterns to be sent
                                          out a MIDI channel to an alternate device (drum machine) instead of using
                                          the internal sounds?? This one has me stumped. I can’t find any reference
                                          in the book.

                                          - Mario

                                          Message sent using UebiMiau 2.7.2
                                        • Nik
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jan 5 2:09 PM
                                            I agree that floppy disks are a reliable if looked after. I still have
                                            floppies for my old Atari ST with data on them uncorrupted since 1990.

                                            As for sysex dumps - I was under impression that the QY700 cannot dump its
                                            song memory, only its set-up.

                                            Nik

                                            > I think if you use good quality disks, keep em dust free and away
                                            > from magnets and use a floppy head cleaner on your QY then disks
                                            > should last for years. Also if data is crtical you can always make
                                            > several copies ater all it only takes a few moments. I have floppy
                                            > disks for other devices which are 15 years old and still functional.
                                            >
                                            > This should handle your sysex requirents if you go down that line
                                            >
                                            > http://www.programmersheaven.com/zone1/cat1265/4489.htm
                                            >
                                            > "It's public domain and includes Visual Basic source. Sends and
                                            > receives system exclusive data. Can handle dumps greater than 64K.
                                            > Supports Cakewalk-compatible request strings to start equipment
                                            > dumps automatically Public domain, full Visual Basic source
                                            > included. Requires Visual Basic Professional 3.0 to modify source."
                                            >

                                            > BEst N10
                                          • zazz_w
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Jan 6 5:06 AM
                                              thanks guys for the info on sysex ..whatever it might me!! i will
                                              experiment when i get some spare time.

                                              floppies if looked after are good but they are probably the most
                                              likely media to fail over time through normal unthoughtfull use in my
                                              experience.

                                              i would still like to run with this flash ram interface idea just
                                              because im a lazy bugger who has too much spare cash...but seriously
                                              it would be cool.