Re: Memory problem

  • sjrogersmai
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 6, 2012
      Nope. But thanks for sharing this discovery. I guess a backup is not a luxury. I only wish there was an easier and less risky way of moving files back and forth. The integrity of the floppy disk drive is my biggest worry.

      --- In qy700@yahoogroups.com, "james_the_music" <james_the_music@...> wrote:

      > This is a little different to Mike's problem:
      >
      > I have 16 or 17 songs in the machine (this is my standard "gig" list), and had started working on a new song. I didn't get the song finished, as I was playing by ear and couldn't figure out the exact key changes, so left it half-done.
      >
      > I then played back a few numbers for rehearsal, and half-way through one of them the chord stayed unchanged. Obviously I realised there was problem (thank goodness I was at home!), and opened the file to look in it. I was very surprised to see that the Chord section went blank after a certain bar. It seems the memory was full, so the QY just deleted a bit!
      >
      > I had a backup of the file, so could reload it, but have deleted a couple of pieces I don't play very often.
      >
      > Has anyone else had their QY just wipe a song like that?

    • james_the_music
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 8, 2012
        Okay, floppy drives are prehistoric, and a number of posts suggest getting a sequencer program and saving all your music as MIDI files. So where do you save them? On a hard disk, which probably has lower integrity than a floppy! It's another magnetic storage medium, but it is running the entire time your PC is on, so statistically must have a greater chance of crashing. The disks I recorded on my QY300 in 1998 still work fine - unfortunately they're not compatible with the QY700. If only some computer whizzkid would make a program to read and convert these files! It would mean I could be very lazy, but until then I have to sit down and start all over again.

        All the best,
        James

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 9, 2012
          Hi James,

          I save all of my data and songs on internal hard drives, data CDs and data DVDs, as well as external hard drives. I have been burned enough not to trust any media in the long run. It is a bit tedious to take the floppy diskette from the QY700, crank up an old notebook computer to get to the only floppy drive that own, and save a copy of the contents of the QY700 floppy diskette. However, from the notebook computer, I can make additions copies and move them to USB keys, external hard drives or burn data CDs or DVDs.

          So far, I have not run into any trouble and, like you, I find the floppy diskettes work well. If nothing else, the QY700 has been able to use the large cache of floppies that I bought some time ago. The floppy drives, however, are the Achilles heal of the system.

          With regards to your songs, I am pretty sure that the files that you create when you make a copy on your QY700 are either a standard MIDI file (SMF) or a modified MIDI file that runs on selected Yamaha equipment. If you still have a QY300, there may be a way to save your old work as standard MIDI files that the QY700 can read. You may not transfer all of your settings and voice assignments from the QY300, but your performance date should make the transition.

          It would be nice to have a graphical computer interface to make adjustments and changes, on the fly to the QY700. There is a program that is supposed to work like that. Sound Quest Midi Quest is a MIDI librarian that would allow you to manipulate the QY somewhat. But, the price was too steep and the QY700 is not among the instruments with a profile.

          Regards
          Junius