Problems with QY700

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 12, 2012
      Hi everyone,
      I have 2 major problems 1)some of the keyboard pads don't play and when I press them they stick a bit. (how can I clean it as it must have a ton of dust etc.) There are no Yamaha techs in my island.
      2) while I have erased all songs and most patterns I keep getting Memory Full. I don't want to reset as I will lose some precious grooves but as is I can't use it and it was my main writing tool.
      Any ideas?? Please help
      Thanks, Mike F.
    • Joey Sims
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 12, 2012
        Hey,

        I have never tooken apart the QY to do anything so I can't help you with the first part of your question

        For the other problem, try deleting user phrazes. You can clear a song fine with that job, but when you clear patterns the phrazes are still intact, so you have to delete them individually.

        I also suggest you save a QY all file after you've made sure you have a totally blank QY. that way when you run out of space again, you can save it, and then reopen a blank/fresh setup.

        I don't think you can get the QY down to any more than 40-50 percent full. It seems to use ram to hold some information.

        Good luck!
      • Mike
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 13, 2012
          Thanks for the reply,
          I have deleted most of the user phrases as well but the memory is still full. I'm working on one song and I can't edit it or try to change a single thing.
          Any other suggestions?
          Thanks in advance

          --- In qy700@yahoogroups.com, Joey Sims <joseph.d.sims@...> wrote:

          > Hey,
          >
          > I have never tooken apart the QY to do anything so I can't help you with
          > the first part of your question
          >
          > For the other problem, try deleting user phrazes. You can clear a song fine
          > with that job, but when you clear patterns the phrazes are still intact, so
          > you have to delete them individually.
          >
          > I also suggest you save a QY all file after you've made sure you have a
          > totally blank QY. that way when you run out of space again, you can save
          > it, and then reopen a blank/fresh setup.
          >
          > I don't think you can get the QY down to any more than 40-50 percent full.
          > It seems to use ram to hold some information.
          >
          > Good luck!

        • Jacek Folega
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 15, 2012
            You've got to reset you QY. Sometimes even one corrupted MIDI song can make your memory full.

            To: qy700@yahoogroups.com
            From: finnmike@...
            Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 17:07:22 +0000
            Subject: [qy700] Re: Problems with QY700

            Thanks for the reply,
            I have deleted most of the user phrases as well but the memory is still full. I'm working on one song and I can't edit it or try to change a single thing.
            Any other suggestions?
            Thanks in advance

            --- In qy700@yahoogroups.com, Joey Sims <joseph.d.sims@...> wrote:

            > Hey,
            >
            > I have never tooken apart the QY to do anything so I can't help you with
            > the first part of your question
            >
            > For the other problem, try deleting user phrazes. You can clear a song fine
            > with that job, but when you clear patterns the phrazes are still intact, so
            > you have to delete them individually.
            >
            > I also suggest you save a QY all file after you've made sure you have a
            > totally blank QY. that way when you run out of space again, you can save
            > it, and then reopen a blank/fresh setup.
            >
            > I don't think you can get the QY down to any more than 40-50 percent full.
            > It seems to use ram to hold some information.
            >
            > Good luck!

          • jamesdiltz
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 18, 2012
              --- In qy700@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <finnmike@...> wrote:

              > Hi everyone,
              > I have 2 major problems 1)some of the keyboard pads don't play and when I press them they stick a bit. (how can I clean it as it must have a ton of dust etc.) There are no Yamaha techs in my island.
              > 2) while I have erased all songs and most patterns I keep getting Memory Full. I don't want to reset as I will lose some precious grooves but as is I can't use it and it was my main writing tool.
              > Any ideas?? Please help
              > Thanks, Mike F.
              >Pads I used Radio Shack's anti-corrosive lubricant spray-very lightly-2 yrs ago-works great for me- your other problem sorry this machine must be reset from the floppy-I write 1 song per Fujifilm MF2HD floppy disk clear machine and start next tune-"Saving All Data"-as I go-take care-
            • Jacek
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 19, 2012
                Maybe you should try to connect your QY to some software like Cakewalk in order to dump your grooves (check it, I don't know if it is possible)?

                If not, you have no choice but to perform initialization: "if you wish to reset the QY700's settings to the factory condition, you can perform the initialization operation: while holding down the left d [OCT DOWN] and u [OCT UP] keys and the [F#/Gb] key located at their right, turn on the power switch".

                As for the cleaning issue: I opened my QY by myself and cleaned the gum pads with spirit (you can use vodka) as well as dirty parts of electronics. It takes many screws to get to the pads but it can be done.

                greets,
                Jacek

                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 20, 2012
                  --- In qy700@yahoogroups.com, "jamesdiltz" <Jamesdiltz@...> wrote:

                  > --- In qy700@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <finnmike@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi everyone,
                  > > I have 2 major problems 1)some of the keyboard pads don't play and when I press them they stick a bit. (how can I clean it as it must have a ton of dust etc.) There are no Yamaha techs in my island.
                  > > 2) while I have erased all songs and most patterns I keep getting Memory Full. I don't want to reset as I will lose some precious grooves but as is I can't use it and it was my main writing tool.
                  > > Any ideas?? Please help
                  > > Thanks, Mike F.
                  > >Pads I used Radio Shack's anti-corrosive lubricant spray-very lightly-2 yrs ago-works great for me- your other problem sorry this machine must be reset from the floppy-I write 1 song per Fujifilm MF2HD floppy disk clear machine and start next tune-"Saving All Data"-as I go-take care-

                • Mike Finn
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 24, 2012
                    Hi James,
                    I live in Greece would WD-40 work? Also did you spray the pads externally?
                    Thanks
                    M. Finn

                    > > I have 2 major problems 1)some of the keyboard pads don't play and when I press them they stick a bit. (how can I clean it as it must have a ton of dust etc.) There are no Yamaha techs in my island.
                    > > 2) while I have erased all songs and most patterns I keep getting Memory Full. I don't want to reset as I will lose some precious grooves but as is I can't use it and it was my main writing tool.
                    > > Any ideas?? Please help
                    > > Thanks, Mike F.
                    > >Pads I used Radio Shack's anti-corrosive lubricant spray-very lightly-2 yrs ago-works great for me- your other problem sorry this machine must be reset from the floppy-I write 1 song per Fujifilm MF2HD floppy disk clear machine and start next tune-"Saving All Data"-as I go-take care-

                  • james_the_music
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 26, 2012
                      If you go to yamaha's website:
                      http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music-production/sequencers/qy700/?mode=model

                      go to Support,and you can download a file called "clear", which says it will clear the memory - they say it's one of the most common questions they get asked. You'll need a Floppy Drive on your PC.

                      James